Saber Marionette Is Hanagata too abused in the series/manga/fan fiction?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by wertitis, Nov 19, 2004.

?

Does Hanagata get beat up too much in the series/manga/fan fiction?

1. Yes!! Lay off of him... poor guy...

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Too much?! How about not enough!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nope. I think it's juuuust right!

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  4. It doesn't matter to me/neutral

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

...And where do you draw the line between good ol' fashoned fun and total misanthropy against the little dude?

This is for ALL anime and manga and fanfiction-dom. What do you guys think?

2. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Well, in J...

i think he deserves it :p

(Lady Aoi's gonna kill me for this :D )

In JtoX, I dunno. He's just funny :p

3. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Well, he deserves it very often in SMJ, but not so much after that. He has changed very much since then.

He really doesn't deserve it in Program 02
    Otaru, Lime and Hanagata are running away from their chasers in Castle Japanes. Otaru speaks to Hanagata about friendship and loyalty and he makes Hanagata fall to the floor.
    That is very funny :D , but it's too bad coming from Otaru.

4. Sen

Sen Ero-ninja

serves him right, hanagata is way too annoying.

5. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

While I don't believe he deserves it every time, I think he does more than often enough to balance it out. Sooner or later, I'm going to make a list of all 'cruelty' against him in the series, complete with circumstances and how deserving he is of it. But it will have to wait a while. I'm far enough behind as it is.

Anyway, more often than not, he deserves everything he is given, and sometimes more, but there are times when the punishment is unjust.

6. wertitis

SuperHana

Hanagata is almost exclusively used for comedy relief. He's just that kind of character. I can't say I've ever felt sorry for what happens to him, nor can I say he's ever been 'abused'. He continually makes his neighbors mad and is always getting on thier nerves. It's not like he's trying to stop or change who he is to quit getting stomped on.

But if he really changed then he wouldn't be "Hanagata", now would he? While he usually gets his come-uppances, and often times a little more, he's just that kind of character who almost seems to enjoy the abuse he gets, maybe like he's starved for the attention. I can't think of any reason why he continually throws common sense out the window and speaks his mind, or glomps Otaru, or... well, the list goes on. For a guy who gets launched into low orbit on a regular basis he sure doesn't complain very much about it, now does he?

Hanagata is fun like that. That's why we love him. He's got to have a hide as tough as leather by now. You know what happens to aircraft on Terra II. Hana flies more than anyone else on the planet. The plasma burns have probably made him damn near invincible!

7. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

As co-founder of SFPCAHM, I must officially state that the acts against Hanagata Mitsurugi are most often cruel and unusual forms of punishment that any individual should not have to experience, regardless of how "annoying" they may be. In an alarming number of cases, poor Mitsurugi is subjected to physical harm that is well beyond acceptable force - and in fact, Spiff-Cam has noted that an alarming number of transgressions against him were unprovoked and uncalled for.

Now for my unofficial statement. I had very mixed feelings about Hanagata's abuse during my first viewing of SMJ. He started off very annoying and I felt he deserved a thrashing. But once he got it, I felt sorry for him again -- at least until he returned to be a nuisance again. Lather, rinse, repeat, and you have the formula down.

After that, however, I feel I've become desensitized to the whole thing. The abuse was just a constant in the series, and I no longer saw it as a real thrashing or abuse at all. I did look forward to seeing how his next entrance and exit scene would unfold (they do sometimes becomes very bizarre and entertaining).

And just to drag out another moldy link from BJP's past, here is the official origin thread of SFPCAHM (pronounced "Spiff-Cam"), where the first Hana discussion on BJP occurred:
    http://www.boards.jp/forums/showthread.php?t=648

(Wow. You can go back and see one of the Admin's spamming up the boards if you follow that link, hehe. :D)

8. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

it's gold, never consider changing the abuse
    too funny

9. wertitis

[QUOTE/BakaMattSu]After that, however, I feel I've become desensitized to the whole thing. The abuse was just a constant in the series, and I no longer saw it as a real thrashing or abuse at all. I did look forward to seeing how his next entrance and exit scene would unfold (they do sometimes becomes very bizarre and entertaining)[/QUOTE]

I think the funny thing is, Hana became desensitized to it as well. The way he handles it later on in the series is comedy. If Otaru is down with it, so am I.

Anyone remember the "MeatBall" in the third program of SMJ (I think it was the third at least...). Remember how it got started? Like it or loathe it, Hana is the undisputed punching bag of the series.

10. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

"it's Like A Giant Meatball!!!"

11. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Wow.

It's unanimous!!!

100% in a poll!!!

This should get in the Guinness Records!

12. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Oops. I decided to vote. :p

13. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

LOL, aww that's so wrong

14. Reisti Skalchaste

This link goes to a page that says "No thread specified." Typo?

Invincible Hanagata... :shudder: At least, we won't have to deal with any more "Special Item Hanagata." :shudders even more:

...right?

[edit]And I'll revive an ancient quote.

A cookie to whoever figures out who said it.

I'm sure we'd all think him more deserving of punishment if he had that kind of voice, eh?

15. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Where's my cookie? :D

16. wertitis

I cant say I really agree with this. The original has a peculiar growl to his voice and when ever he goes on his rampant muttering fests (like at the start of Program 3 of SMJ) that growl really comes through. Not so much with the american dub. He looses that irritated growl for the prim and proper tone. The 'growl' was one of my favorite trademarks of the original hana. However Lady Aoi does have a point. Thank god they didn't roll with the steriotypical 'gay' voice.

Nice job finding that post Shinryu

17. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I need to work on my order of moderations. I linked the thread above when it did exist, but immediately after realized it was a fragment of another earlier thread which I merged it with, ending up making what I had already linked invalid. I fixed the link in my above post. You'll notice about 3 posts in that A-Chan comments that she accidently hit new topic instead of reply - that's where the original link pointed, until my badly timed moderation.

(And only 2 years behind fixing that post, too...)

18. wertitis

Better late than never man. :D

19. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

I wonder now whose the second vote is
    the Hanagata team I mean

20. Reisti Skalchaste

On it's way. Beware, Luchs made it, and we were out of chocolate chips. :D

Heh, thank you. And I agree. Takehito Koyasu is far superior to... what's his name. And the same goes for the rest of the cast.

*Goes off once again to hunt down Kendra Masonchuk for reasons obvious*