Video Games Is this the end of Sprites?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Suzu, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Video games have advanced... Just look at FF, and how it evolved from 2D (FF1) to 3D (FF7)... I was wondering if this is the end of making games with little sprites... I know some people don't like sprites cuz they are small and are less detailed... but won't anyone here miss sprites such as FF6, FFt?
    Are 3D games going to dominate games that are 2D?

2. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

aren't they still considered sprites, although in 3d form?
    I do miss the 2d sprites though, but I really don't think that they are dead... I mean you still have pocket systems such as game boy advance and even the new Lufia games are sprite based RPG's ^__^x I've always liked 2d sprites though because they are kind of... cute :shy2: and there little chibi things.

3. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

:sweat: ...

Hmm, I meant 2D SD sprites like the ones in tactics and Tales of Destiny.. Yeah Maybe we will be able to play them one GBA and other platforms still I dunno it won't be the same...

4. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Well - it's all fashion.

The fashion right now are 3D games. But I'm sure that 2D action and adventure games will come back. Hey, still the abandonware sites are popular!

Remember "flashback" the game? It used sprites - and I still play it.

Let's see how the industry behaves.

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Depends...I think Skuld was referring to the popular polygons that have taken hold of the scene.

As to the question of domination, we've no doubt seen that polygons have taken over for now...but will sprites disappear completely? Heck no...

Sometimes I get sick of all that rendering. Sometimes. :D

6. Kyo_Masaki

Kyo_Masaki New Member

I guess it depends what sort of it is? Polygons work best for games such as 3D shooters and Strategy, much more detail can be put into those games, like in Hitman, you can drag a body, and watch the limbs flail around and move with realism, thats something a sprite can't do. Personally though, I prefer fighters and rpg's to anything else.

I love sprite based graphics much better in fighting games and rpgs. I'm like an old school graphics guy >.> as long as its anime style sprites I fall straight for it. When Street Fighter used polygons for there EX games, it came out with horrible results. most 3D fighters can't create the same atmosphere as 2D fighters, in moves and looks. Few exceptions comes to mind (Soul Caliber)

As for RPG's I've always like sprites over polygons, I still play games such as Secret of Mana, Chronotrigger, FF6 and various other sprite based rpgs. To me a sprite character can have and show more actions, emotions, etc then a polygon base..... plus sprites are so much cuter. Then theres the 2D sprites on 3D backrounds, the style you can find in Breath of Fire 3-4, Star Ocean 2. if done correctly, the can look perfect together

7. petezilla

petezilla New Member

I agree with you 100% Kyo_masaki.
    mgs2 wouldn't be as exciting in 2d as it is in 3d.
    I also like my platform games 2d instead of 3d example the best platform game of all time in my opinio is castelvania-symphony of the night.
    You can basically create a more anime like look with 2d of course which is the style i prefer.