Japanese Japanese help section

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UrashimaKeitaro, Jan 22, 2002.

1. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

Here goes... a topic for all of you who've ever had a question about 'just what did that mean really' when watching an anime, or doing anything else japanese related! I know a decent amount of Japanese, and if I don't know the answer to your question, then I can find someone who will know!

Subtitling blunder of the moment... 'you can't stop a car going at 120 iles an hour!' (Dr Nebraska, Trigun) I know it's a nitpick, but the number actually said is 200 I'll try to keep this place loaded with more translation blunders from our friends at various large companies!

-UK
    ----------
    is probably biting off more than he can chew

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Kewl! I'll bite...

Let's do something I probably already know, but just have forgotten somewhere in the back o' me head...

What are the phrases they say before and after meals? And what do they directly translate to as opposed to their intent?

Baka is Baka, Baka is Me...

3. UrashimaKeitaro

Alright! Thank you BakaMattSu for the first inquiry.

The expressions are ritualistic ones, I'll do my best to convey their true translations, but the expressions are somewhat old.

Before Meals: Itadakimasu
    Itadaku is the humble verb 'to partake' the -masu ending shows a politeness to whomever you are speaking to, which is not necessarily anyone in particular. Japanese use this phrase over everything, from a 'juice' from the vending machines to full blown meals. A fairly direct translation of it is- 'I humbly partake'

After Meals: Gochisosama deshita
    I don't have quite as extensive an explanation for this one, but it translates (roughly) to 'It was a feast' also a ritualistic expression, the language is more archaic than itadaku, so I don't know all the parts of this expression for a better translation.

UK Omake for today's lesson:
    In the Manga for FLCL, Haruko uses a childs play on words involving 'itadakimasu', saying (haven't seen the kana for this one, so it's an approximation) 'itadaki manmosu' or (again roughly), 'I humbly partake of Mammoth' Japanese love their word plays!

-UK
    -------------------
    my livelyhood is the random things of the world!

4. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Could that be because he said 200 kilometers per hour? Wouldn't that be just about 120 MPH? I seem to remember 100 kph is roughly 60 mph..

Though I really like the non literal translation: "eat mammoth!"

5. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

While we're on the subject of subtitling inanities...

I thought that I'd list a few of my own from the Saber Marionette J to X fansubs that I've dl'ed.

1) In episode 13, kioku (memory) is translated as "nobility," "noble" or "nobly."

2) From episode 1:
    Original:
    Otaru: It does not matter where in the world. This person (i.e.,Otaru) will not change!

"Better" Translation:
    Otaru: Even if the world changes,even if the era changes,people's hearts won't change.

3) From the preview of episode 2:
    Original:
    Lime: Yahoo! I'm Lime! Hey Otaru,what's "omatsuri?" What's "otamete?" What's "Danjirigozen?" Huh? I don't understand anything about a festival. Cherry,Bloodberry...Most importantly,I'll be with Otaru!

Better Translation:
    Lime: Yahoo! I'm Lime! Hey Otaru,what's a "festival?" What's "cotton candy?" What's a "Danjiri race?" Huh? The festival champion will have any wish granted? Cherry,Bloodberry...I'll definately win,ok? Because I'll be with Otaru!

(Note: not only did they mess up the translation,but they messed up the romanization of cotton candy (wata-ame) and Danjiri race (danjiri-gassen) as well.)

That's all I can think of for now. I'll be back with more later (and hopefully on another series!:D).

InuYasha - Translation's a biatch!

6. UrashimaKeitaro

I guess I'll have to get my Trigun DVD's back from you and see what the actual unit they use is then, MO.

Bonus:
    Cherry with the 'Japoness Hell Gang' (haven't tried a translation on their name)
    Cherry starts beating up on the war robot, shouting things that are translated as, 'This is all ---'s fault!' the blank there being filled by God and other illustrious people. She's actually saying "--- no Baka!" but then again, we all know what that means, so why do I even bother.

-UK
    ----------------
    no Baka!

7. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Referring to the "Black Beast" scene, this is a good example of creative subtitling...

As always, direct translation can sometimes not seem as good as it would in the original language. Case in point, "baka baka baka no baka....etc..." becomes the whole "who's fault" speech...

It's all BakaMattSu's fault!

8. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

In order,Cherry blames Fate,God and herself. But you're right,there are times when a literal translation just doesn't cut the mustard. Even my "better translation" examples from J to X aren't literally translated. But they are a darn sight better than the fansubber's translations!:rolleyes: :D

Changing subjects for a moment,on "Gochisou sama (deshita)." I took a course called "Buddhist Perspectives on Daily Life" that was taught in Japanese,and we learned that certain words originally had meaning in a Buddhist context. One of those words is the "chisou" in "Gochisou sama (deshita). However,I'd have to look at my notes again to get an accurate idea of what that is...

InuYasha - I have no clever signature for this,so I'll just take a bow.