Japanese [Joi Ito] Followup on the Japanese hostages

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bijin, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Bijin

Bijin boards.jp Bot

I blogged earlier about the very negative reaction that the Japanese taken hostage in Iraq received in Japan. The main reason was that when the parents asked for their release, they didn't apologize to the Japanese government and even denounced the war. I believe it was a rather unfortunately, but understandable reaction in the context of Japanese culture for the Japanese to say, "we told you to stay away from there, and how dare you cause such shame on Japan without even apologizing."

I recently talked to someone involved in the Arab press and learned that if the parents had apologized and sucked up to the Japanese government, there was a good chance that the hostages would not have been released. So if I had to choose between whether my children were released alive or whether they would be happily received by the Japanese government, I think I'd choose to have my children live. Whether it was done on purpose or not, their parents made the right decision.

Then there is the story of the Australian journalist who was freed because a Google search revealed he was not CIA or a US contractor.

I don't think that all of the kidnappers are smart and ethical, but they are clearly sending a signal that their targets are not all random.

Comment - TrackBack

Click here to read this story
    http://joi.ito.com/archives/2004/10/25/followup_on_the_japanese_hostages.html