Movies Kill Bill!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by seraphinx, Oct 12, 2003.

1. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

Kill Bill is director Quentin Tarantino's latest movie, and it's awesome! It hasn't been advertised that much so most people probably don't know about it.

It stars Uma Thurman as a woman getting revenge on the members of her old assassination gang who tried killing her four years earlier. So as far as her character is concerned, it's a serious, bloody (very gory) revenge movie where she hunts each member one by one. But, there's comedy here and there, and with the added bonus of Japanese-cinema-style violence and humor (like when blood gushes from beheaded characters, or Japanese people making strange jokes) there's a lot of crowd reaction in the theater! Yeah, the main character goes to Japan for most of the movie, so Japanese movie-lovers and anime-lovers would get a kick out of Kill Bill. Yeah, Tarantino's directing is pretty clever and fast-paced in this action movie. I grade movies really hard, so this is the first movie I've rated "A-" in years. The soundtrack for the movie is really good too, even impressed my musician friend.

A lot of Hong Kong crews helped out with the fight scenes. (Even had the famous fight choreographer Woo Ping Yuen!) Don't listen to what website review/critics say about this movie. See it for yourself! If you liked Battle Royale, you'll like Kill Bill (even guest-stars Chiaki Kuriyama from Battle Royale!)

2. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

I've heard that Kill Bill even had its own anime sequence. Is this true?

I trust your opinion, the movie looks great. Gotta make time to see it between classes and everything. Rumor goes that the whole Kill Bill story is going to be a trilogy of movies -- now that would be cool.

3. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Well, Kill Bill looks pretty neat, and that Chiaki is in it makes the movie even better (She plays Chigusa Takako in Battle Royale).

Hopefully the movie will reach the Swedish Cinemas as soon as possible :)

- T

And to answer your question Femme_fatale, the "kill bills" will be named:

Kill Bill: Vol 1
    Kill Bill: Vol 2
    and so on...

4. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

Heheheh, yeah, there's a flashback sequence which was fully animated. It looked like a cross between action anime and dark American comic style. It's really good quality though, very fluid, very realistic movements! And when it switches back to live action, it's set up so that you quickly move on with the story.

You know, a lot of people say that Tarantino's story plots are weak and whatever, but just like an oil painting or sculpture, not EVERYTHING has to be perfect. I heard one person say they were confused by the plot... :confused: But it was so simple and straightforward!

5. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

Sweeet. Now I want to see it more. :)

I think a weak plot can be made up for if the movie itself is entertaining. If the person you mentioned thought that Kill Bill has a poor plot... well, the Kill Bill story is going to be a TRILOGY; if the plot *is* weak, chances are that it will pick up in later volumes of the series. Better than cramming all the story into the first part of the trilogy and slacking off later plotwise, right?

At least it sounds like it HAS a story, unlike some action movies where it's "eye candy first, story much later".

6. k0gepan

k0gepan New Member

I've only heard good things about this movie so far. My friend went to see it *twice* on the Thanksgiving weekend. But he's mental. Anyway, yes, must see this.

7. Quistis

Quistis New Member

I heard it was so long that they had to cut the movie into 2 parts, is that true?:dizzy2:

I heard about this from my dad b/c he knows I like anime, so he told me about this movie and the anime sequence:sweat2:

I cant wait to see it. I saw a preview and it looks good. Plua it has ANIME!!:D:D:D:D:D

8. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

Only good things? Most big name movie review sites say a lot of BAD things about the movie! Yet, it's "the number one movie in America."

And what do you mean by the "Thanksgiving weekend?" It's not even November yet. This is one of the very few movies that I actually want to see a second time. I still remember how good the music selection was for the movie. The night swordfight scene with Lucy Liu had some solid, hyping music.

9. Furi_Kuri

Furi_Kuri New Member

I just saw kill bill tonight with my girl friend she didnt appreciate it as much as me but boy was that movie sweet, the anime bit where lucy lu's parents get wasted is really good its a bit like the short moive Wantanabe did for Animatrix or thats what it reminded me of anyway.
    the fight scene in the resturant where uma thurman takes on like 80 badies with a samurai sword is undescribable, i was amazed at quite how sadistic the general public is i heard so many people laughing at the slaugher that took place in that scene (it was really funny but i dont want my girl friend thikign she is goign out with some wako do i :D)
    i suggest you go see this movie if you havent see it the style of directing might not be to everyones taste i warn you i think Tarantino is a legend but some pople might think its a bit slow and patchy.
    o ye i have to add that i saw battle royal the other week 2 and Chiaki Kuriyama plays a well ****ed up character in Kill Bill you should see what she does to this ugly guy who hits on her ( boy i better be more careful with people liekt hat around :D )
    ltr

1 person likes this.
  10. Fushigi Rockna

Canada's thanksgiving happens in October, idiot. That's what she meant. It's always on a Monday too, what was it, on the 14th this year?

Anyways, i've been hearing good things about Kill Bill as well. The harsh critics in Edmonton said it was great. i only trust some critics and my own judgement.

But I really wnat to see this movie. Me and my bro wnated to see it Thanksgiving weekend as well, but it was rated like R and dad didn';t wnat to come with us, so we went and saw legaue of Extrodanary Gentlemen in one of those crappy theatres instead (SINCE SCHOOL OF ROCK WANS'T PALYING IN ANY THETRES NEARBY. We're not gonna drive all around Edmonton just to see a movie no way.)

11. Havikar

Havikar New Member

Kill Bill is only 2 vol.

the first a more action based movie.
    while the second is more of the story part.

It was supose to be only 1 movie, but it would of been a 7 hour movie so they desided to cut it in half. The next volume i think they said its going to be febuary :p boo yea I can't wait for that.

12. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

Hey! It's not like they teach us about Canada in school (or in daily life). I wouldn't call someone an idiot if they didn't know why some people celebrate "New Year's" in early February, or celebrated Boys Day which most Westerners never knew existed.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was okay, and so was School of Rock. But for me, Kill Bill is still the best movie I've seen in a cinema this year.

13. Dredz

Dredz Clown With A Frown

Saw it twice. It's teh sexeh. Chiaki like.

That is all.

14. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Thumbs Up!

Never really was a fan of Tarantino's previous movies, but Kill Bill was a very excellent, high paced movie that's Action/Film Noir/Hong Kong rolled into a very edible snack.

Those commenting that the plot is lacking couldn't have been paying attention. True, we never get many details about "The Bride", who is the main character with a vendetta - but the information we do get seems enough to hinge on to explain her motivations. And as the movie progresses, we get small hints to build upon - up until Bill's final line during the beginning of the credit roll.

On the flip side, we learn a great deal about the bride's first target on her hit list - O. Ren Ishii. A Chinese-Japanese-American breed with a tragic history, her character is quite developed and fleshed out. Lucy Liu does a good portrayl of the dangerous Yakuza leader, and she and her cohorts (including the twice mentioned Chiaki's performance as the 17 year old bodyguard, Gogo) remind me of a grouping of anime villains - appropriate that Ishii's past is done with an anime sequence.

Kill Bill is not lax on being graphic. The movie has heads and appendeges slice off in plain view, accompanied by liberal spurts of blood.

I truly recommend it to action fans who can stomach extreme scenes of violence.

Can't wait for Volume 2...even though it will be decidely less influenced by Japan Media/Culture.

15. *Sasami*

*Sasami* New Member

I loved kill bill it was cool:D. I cant wait for Vol. 2. My fave part is when shes fighting with GoGo the 17 year old girl, man she got skills. You guys who have not seen got to see it :D :D

*Sasami*

16. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

Re: Thumbs Up!

Really?

Every single one of Tarantino's films are among my favorites.

Kill Bill is no exception.What can you say about this movie that hasn't already been said?It's a true masterpiece.

I can only hope volume 2 is just as thrilling.

17. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

My friend actually downloaded the movie from somewhere. It's not DVD-quality, obviously, but that kind of speed makes me go "damn, :dizzy2: some people can't even wait! :rolleyes: ..."

For those of you who haven't commented yet (cuz you couldn't watch it until after posting in this thread), what do you think of the movie now that you've seen it?

The music in the movie was pretty cool too, yeah? My brother got the soundtrack, and his favorite song is "The Lonely Shepherd" by Zamfir, the pan-flute muscian. I recognized the song when I watched the movie, and I went "hey, this old song actually matches!" I downloaded two other mean tracks: "Battle Without Honor Or Humanity," which starts with guitar, then explodes with trumpet/horn ensemble and a solid drum beat, and "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" which was the hyping fight song when The Bride and O. Ren fought in the snow.

18. Covin Narcissus

Covin Narcissus New Member

I really liked Kill Bill, it was very funny.

A most excellent movie. :D

19. lil washu y2k

lil washu y2k New Member

it was soooo cool, i watched it on dvd, it was a bit dodgy tho cos u could hear ppl talking in the background and somebody stood up halfway thru the movie n everytime she killed someone everybody was cheering, so im guessing somebody took a camera to the cinema n filmed it..lol, i borrowed it off a friend :catgirl:

20. jindo

jindo New Member

Another Tarantino's blood bath flick. :sweat: