Japanese Learning the Language

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nakoruru, Aug 19, 2003.

1. poisonthemon

poisonthemon New Member

It is easier, theres lots of rules, but few exceptions, exactly the opposite of english. Least it doesn't have gender like Russian does:D

2. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

I'm just now learning it myself. Going on the gender subject though, Russian may be hard but Spanish is exactly the same so i can see where you're coming from.

3. frommyvalentino

frommyvalentino New Member

Well, you could always do what my floor mate did. Lol. We're in college, and she is Chinese, but she doesn't know how to write or read chinese, but can speak and understand it, and she wanted to learn Japanese...so what did she do? Took classes to learn both! And thus...she's forced to learn it. ^.^ She loves it, she's always practicing with this girl who lives on the 5th floor whose in her Japanese class, it's great. ^.^ I wanna take German...but my mama said not until my senior year...if I need a filler class.

4. poisonthemon

poisonthemon New Member

Most European languages have gender, don't they? Oh well, there is a little bit of gender in Japanese, but it's only in casual speech
    eg. Boku wa otokonoko desu(M) I'm a boy
    Atashi wa onnanoko desu(F) I'm a girl
    I don't know Russian very well, but it's gender is like
    te glupe(M) You're stupid (at a guy)
    te glupeyah(F) You're stupid (at a girl)

I like linguistics, except I wouldn't have much of a career if I did it at uni. Just repetitive research and stuff

5. frommyvalentino

frommyvalentino New Member

I always hated Gender related words...since it made it two times harder to learn them...then in some languages the throw in informal ones, that can be used for either, but you have to know all three >.< It's insane!

6. poisonthemon

poisonthemon New Member

Yes and no, patterns do emerge... Anyway, with Japanese its usually just personal nouns and sentence endings that have a male or female variation on top of the generic, it becomes really clear if you study plain form

7. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

all of the romance languages have gender seperated words, since they all come from the root language of latin. Other languages tend to as well, simply because its the best way to define what your speaking of. English speakers see it as "hard" because they're not used to the system. actually, for non english speakers, English is considered to be one of the hardest languages to learn because of its complex rules.

8. artemis836

artemis836 Vampire Slayer

I have been working on teaching myself Japanese.

So far I have been able to learn to read and write hiragana and gotten through about half of katakana. It's only a start but it took me a lot of work (I'm not great at languages) so I'm proud of it.

I found a great website to help people learn kana:
    Real Kana

Check it out!