Saber Marionette Life and Death, Analog and Digital

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by wertitis, Oct 21, 2005.

1. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

It’s not often when one finds himself falling in love all over again. Several years ago I was spending the night at a friend’s house watching his fansubs when I stuck a CD labeled Saber Marionette J into his computer. It really was his recommendation. The premise of robot women running amok never really interested me, but I’d seen SMR, and I remember it being a good watch, so I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt.

8 hours later I was watching the final episode and breathing a sigh of relief. I was hooked, and it has become one of my all time favorite shows. Sure it was a ‘chick’ anime, and a little bit childish, but some of the topics it covered, some of the ideas they planted really struck me. I remember the emotional ending really throwing me for a bender. Looking back, had I been able to drink, I could have used a few shots to sober myself up.
    I suppose that’s what I really loved about the series. The emotion. Characters who become adorable, whom you can’t help but fall in love with, the peril that falls upon them, and the terrible fate they had no choice but to succumb to. You become attached to them. What they wish for and hope for, you find yourself wishing and hoping for. That was the draw for me. The emotional attachment. While I do love a good story, not many have that emotional draw that SMJ had. I had unknowingly fallen in love.

Until recently I have been out at sea with little to do except eat, work and watch the anime I stockpiled before leaving. I had a large, varied selection to chose from (everything from Kanon to Evangelion to ‘Hyper Police’ to Ranma ½), and I dutifully pounded through one after another simply because there wasn’t much else to do (except Ranma, sweet mother of god SEVEN seasons?! Gaaagh!!). One of the few I particularly enjoyed was entitled Sai Kano (don’t ask me to spell out the full name, it’s a mouthful…) which had a rather tragic happy ending that was unusual and worth mentioning.

Yet the one that caught me completely by surprise, and sent my mind spinning, was titled “Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex”. Now for starters, if you have not seen this anime I highly recommend it. I’m sure it’s just a matter of time until Cartoon Network picks it up and it becomes commercialized, ect… but it’s worth watching well before then. I found it to be clever, intelligent, fast paced and simply fun to watch.

Wait, wait!! Before this post gets deleted or shifted to somewhere else give me a moment here. This isn’t just some shameless GITS:SAC plug in the wrong forum. Gimme a sec…

The main characters in GITS:SAC are almost the same as from the movie bearing the Ghost in the Shell name and the Comic by Masamune Hiro, however GITS: SAC seems to follow a different timeline, different than that of her sister series, one where the Puppeteer does not exist.

Unlike the other series, GITS:SAC focuses a little bit more on the one element that I have so ungracefully fallen in love with (just like SMJ)- Tachikomas.

“A what now?” Is what you might be asking. In case you don’t remember a Tachikoma were those spider like sentient tanks Motoko and her crew drove around in during the Comic series (called Fuchikoma's back then). In Stand Alone Complex they make a glorious return and become pivotal characters in the series development.

As I watched (and fell in love with those ugly little guys) I found myself drawing similar comparisons to them and our girls from SMJ. Sure there are several differences between them, and those differences could be argued, like at the links at the end of this tirade, but there was a key similarity between them and our maidens from SMJ that really struck me – The great question: Because we can think, does that mean we are alive? Because we can feel human emotions, does that mean that we too are human- if not in shape then in mind?

In GITS: SAC a person’s soul is often referred to as a Ghost. With the implementations of cybernetic bodies and Cyber Brains, Ghosts can be transferred from one body to the next just as easily as transferring data from one computer to the next. The line between Human and Machine has been blurred to the point of obscurity. It’s almost frightening. Several episodes deal with those issues- Cyber Brain hacking, People’s bodies being switched, or their “minds” becoming trapped with another’s programming. Ghosts, the human soul, has become nothing more than data. So in essence are they human any more?

The Tachikomas discuss this point a few times amongst themselves. They decide that Humans think in Analog while Machines think in Digital, even though this conclusion in itself is argued against in several episodes. More often than not the Tachikomas, self aware A.I. tanks, ponder the bigger question- Death. What is death like? Do machines like them go anywhere when they die? What happens during death? They seem to understand the idea, but not the principles. They are confused by it. In the end they can’t help but wonder what it must feel like to experience it.

The Tachikomas reminded me of SMJ simply because of their relative innocence to those matters. It was a machine’s view on humanity and what defined it. “It’s Ok, I’m only a Machine” Lime said before running into the fire in Hanagata’s place to save Yumeji. Yet, at the time, even she herself had no idea what those words really meant. She didn’t know the difference between human and machine, natural and artificial. She didn’t understand it.

Tachikomas were regarded in the same way. They were merely tools. They didn’t understand, couldn’t comprehend the difference between being alive and being dead. Could only living things be alive? Animals and plants? If that were the case then what were THEY? Were they ‘alive’ too? If that weren’t the case, then why was it so? They weren’t considered “living” like humans. Like humans the Tachikomas knew about themselves and world around them, therefore they were self aware. Well then, so were humans who had artificial bodies (cyborgs). The humans had Ghosts. Was that why the Tachikomas weren’t alive? Because they didn’t have Ghosts? Then what was a Ghost exactly? What defined a Ghost? A self aware entity? Then, in that case, the Tachikomas had Ghosts too, didn’t they? Did they mean that they could die as well?

The same can be said for SMJ. We discussed this before on this board- Are the marionettes human or not? Most of us agreed that they were indeed human. If that were the case then are they “Alive”? Can they “Die” like other humans? What exactly would the difference be between one of our Marionettes from SMJ and a Tachikoma? Tachikomas aren’t human, my own definition of such dictates against that. But does that mean that they aren’t alive?

2. wertitis

Part 2

The Tachikomas, like our girls in SMJ, loved those around them. They cared for those they were given responsibility for. While they weren’t the smartest A.I.’s in Section Nine’s retinue, they were the most emotional. Imagine nine tanks with personalities similar to Lime, with her innocence about the world and her willingness to serve and please those who care about her.

Like Lime and her sisters, the Tachikomas grew from their experiences. They started off without fear… Well that’s not a true statement. They held a great deal of fear- fear for those whom they cared for, fear that they might let them down. Because of this, as time passed, they became more and more selfless in their efforts. Their own “Lives” were forfeit before the lives of those whom cared for them. Like SMJ they would let nothing harm those they loved- even at the cost of their own lives. The will to sacrifice is not a Digital line of thought, not when the will is derived from emotion, not logic. To kill oneself for another person simply because you love him/her is not a logical thing to do, yet to us, as human beings, it makes perfect sense. Is that what makes us Human? Is that what separates us from machines? The will to live, or the will to allow others to live?

Such a question is a profound one when one dwells upon it. In my mind the answer is a resounding ‘Yes’. To die for love shows that one has ‘love’ to begin with, that he/she has emotions- a critical element to being human or “alive”. To act upon that emotion for little reason else other than ‘love’ shows compassion and the will to sacrifice. As the communal animals we are, compassion and the will to sacrifice are keystones in a stable human society.

To defend one another is a survival tactic, built into our genes. Lots of animals do this, not just humans. The separating element is the compassion- The act of sacrifice for little or no gain. Animals will not defend the old and sickly in their packs or herds. We, on the other hand, will. Is that what makes us “Human”? Is that the defining attribute of our nature?

One question GITS:SAC leaves us with was “Did the Tachikomas ever gain Ghosts of their own?” Did their A.I.s evolve to such a point where their selflessness and their emotions grew into what could be called a “Ghost”? Could a machine have finally found the way to transcend the great barrier between Man and A.I.?

Unfortunately the series leaves us hanging with this question and never really answers it. However, a little bit like in SMJ, it leaves the answer up to us. At the end the Tachikomas do something beyond logic and reasoning and their actions lead this question, a question we tried to answer among ourselves with SMJ.

We wanted to think that our Marionettes were alive simply because of their hearts, and the inner strength they carried. That they were human just like us for this very reason alone. They walked, talked, and quacked like human, therefore they had to be. We liked to believe that they exceeded the limitations of their A.I. and, because of their ability to feel, to love, and to lose, they transcended that boundary into something greater. That, despite their bodies, they were as human as any one of us. That they too had “Ghosts”.

The Tachikomas are the same. They too defied the limitations of their A.I. and evolved into something bigger than what they were intended to be. Because of their actions, are they considered to have Ghosts as well? Are they “Human” too? They don’t look like humans, and they don’t talk like us, but they share the same emotions we have. Their evolution can be plotted over the course of the series, much like Lime and her sister’s growth.

Can something Digital learn to become Analog? Is something that is self aware and shares the same emotions that we do be considered “Alive”? What does it mean to be “Alive”? Then, in the same sense, What is Death? Where is the line that dictates that? Are our girls from SMJ “Alive” as well? Can they “Die” in the same sense as us? More importantly, just like the Tachikomas, are they Analog, or are they Digital, and where is the line that separates the two? Can something Digital transcend itself into our Analog world? Is the will to sacrifice because of Love that line or is there something greater, something bigger that dictates that? Is there something else entirely?

The Tachikomas were closer to the girls of SMJ than I first realized. The will to love and be loved back, their selflessness towards those they care for, their simplicity and their devotion. Their innocence and their drive. While they looked worlds apart the two really shared similar, if not nearly identical views.

Like our girls from SMJ they sought acceptance in a world that seemed to rate them simply as ‘objects’. They wanted to be happy, helping those that made them happy. A kind word went a long way. Acknowledgement took them to the limits and beyond. In a sense, much like our own maidens- Lime, Cherry, and Bloodberry, they were what many people hope to be- Curious, innocent, and filled with love.

While GITS:SAC the series itself was worlds apart from SMJ, it was intriguing to be able to draw parallels between the two. An almost childish and fun series, and a deep, dark, more mature action show. Once more I have to place my own recommendation with Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex for the Tachikomas if for no other reason. The deep, intriguing story line and the questions we ourselves have danced around here at this forum stands this series apart from the others (no play on words intended).

I’ll leave you guys and gals with the questions above and all over this post. It’s just something to churn your minds over. Many of these questions have already been asked, but are worth a second glance, this time taking the Tachikomas into consideration, rather than the girls of SMJ.

Why?

Because essentially the two are the same. They are both machines gifted with human emotions, struggling with questions of their own, struggling with ‘humanity’ in both the sense and the literal meaning of the word.

Unlike SMJ, the Tachikoma aren’t really cute, or cuddly. Odds are you probably wont want to take one home to meet your parents. They don’t have the visual appeal that the girls from SMJ have. Considering that most of us here on the boards are guys (at least in the SMJ forum) I’m sure there’s a subconscious attraction to the girls of SM simply because they have a human shape, and thus we would be more inclined to sympathize.

The Tachikomas do not have that deeper, subtler level of instinct working for them. They are squat, almost ugly, spider like tanks. Their shape and appearance isn’t all together as pleasing as the girls from SM.

But they have the same hearts as the girls from SM. They have similar human/machine relationship trauma. They share similar experiences and have similar wants and yearnings. What they become is nearly identical to the girls from SMJ.

So do your arguments from before still hold? Do your words about man and machine before still ring true? For those who did not participate in that post , do your perceptions of what you consider to be human or “alive” remain the same when you consider the Tachikoma in one hand, and Lime, Cherry, and Bloodberry in the other?

So many questions, so many possible answers. I look forward to seeing where this post goes. Have fun.

Saber Marionette Vs Tachikoma pt. 1

Saber Marionette Vs Tachikoma Pt 2

Saber Marionette Vs Tachikoma Pt 3

Saber Marionette Vs Tachikoma Pt 4

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Ah, but the Ghost/Soul, how is it dispensed? Is it given to specific constructions of material? This of course does not block out the chance that various robots might be one of the constructs that meet soul-approval standards.

Is it given out based on intelligence? If so, then certainly the Tachikomas would have one.

Is it given out by a divine figure (or self created), based on acts? The Tachikomas displayed self sacrifice, among other virtues, along with the SMJ girls.

Is there a seperate, "robot soul" that isn't inherently detected by those looking for a ghost?

One might object, saying that Tachikomas and Marionettes are simply a highly complex, highly accurate simulation of sentience, a very advanced program. While this is possibly true, one could say the same of humans, who ultimately are ruled by needs and animal desires. Look deep enough into the human psyche and you will inevitably come across behavioural practices that could have been programed in. (And it's a fact we have several automatic behaviours that are beyond our control)

4. wertitis

To say that a Tachikoma has a Ghost is to say that something originally designed to be cold and robotic can transcend into something warm and human. If that is true, then so is the pposite- A human can lose his or her humanity and become nothing more than a cold, robotic machine. The line between man and machine would be blurred to the point of obscurity- a terrifying prospect.

Lime, Cherry and Bloodberry's will to protect those they love enabled them to transcend that boundary between "digital" and "analog". That is one of the reason's why I consider them human: They willingly sacrifice themselves with little or no gain for themselves. This can be called love. In the same sense the Tachikoma's are the same way. Does that mean that they too have broken the barrier between digital and analog?

Neph has a point- How do we classify a Ghost, or a Soul. What makes a Ghost a Ghost? It has to be more than intelligence or self awareness. Many robots in GITS:SAC are bot intelligent and self aware. However they act with pre-coded programming. Are true Ghosts 'spontaneous' in thier actions, acting on impulse rather than code?

Exactly, but to what extent of pre-programmed behaviors do we stop calling it a Ghost and start calling it pre-programed behavior. I don't want to say A.I. because by definition the girls of SMJ operate off of A.I.- Artificially made Intelligence, and most of us decided they are human, if not in body then in spirit and soul.

~W