Computers Linux

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Nephilim_X, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Righto, last night I installed Linux pretty problem free. As I still need some Windows stuff, I made my system dual boot.

I really only have two questions.

1) Recommend me some good software/software sites.

2) When I open up My Computer in Windows XP, it takes a little longer than normal to actually show the hard drive. I assume this is because it needs to recognize the other partition and essentially ignore that. Any way I can speed it up? Better yet, is there a way to make it recognize the other partition in case I want to move files between the two partitions with ease? (Linux doesnt recognize the Windows partition btw.)

Oh, and as for the second one, if that can be solved by a minor update for Windows or Linux, keep in mind the only reason I havent already kept the OSs up to date is because I have no net at home just yet (that comes Thursday).

2. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

AFAIK, there is no way to see the linux partition from windows. It just can't read ext3 or reiserfs or whatever file system you are using. In Linux, you should have no problem mounting the windows partition, at least if you are using fat32 (I do, for that reason). NTFS is problematic: you should be able to read it still, but write is experimental/buggy and I wouldn't try it. Have a look at the /etc/fstab file, that's where the mount points for your partitions/CDs/floppies are stored, and where you edit them.

For RPM based distros (redhat, mandrake, suse etc) RPMBone has a load of stuff. If you are on Debian of some sort (Knoppix, Xandros, Lindows (please no), Libranet), the easiest way to install new software is with the built in apt-get system. At the command line type "apt-get update", "apt-get install synaptic", then "synaptic" and you get a giant list of software. You'll need to be root to do all that, so type "su" then your root password first,

Interesting things are WineX for directX emulation for games, Crossover Office for all your MS Office in linux needs (or Wine if you want free) or win4lin which pretty much lets you run a windows install inside linux. link: google.com :D

3. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

You *might* be able to defrag the windows partition to get a bit better boot time, but that's the only thing I can help with. I don't know many linux sites, unfortunately.

- Ark

4. Slydice

Slydice ave, Lex, morituri te salutamus

5. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Someone I know told me that I can install Red Hat in drive D while keeping windows having 2 OSs in my computer. Is this true? And will there be any consequences??

6. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Yes. It's called Dual-Booting.

7. Zanza

Staff Member

So all I have to do is install it, like some kind of a program, in drive D? (i.e. Can I do it by myself? :p)

8. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Yeah, you can. Make sure to have an interface that allows dual OS. Try Ubuntu or Redhat if you still want WinXP :p

- Teddz

9. Shinigami-Sama

Shinigami-Sama New Member

genoo if you wanna get scared of linux, and have a 8+ hour install :D

which is why I just use the live cd <.<

10. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

gentoo, ah... the ricer boy of all linux installs

11. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Ew. Gentoos installation is rather annoying but it is a stable Linux OS afterall...

- Teddz

12. Zanza

Staff Member

What the heck is gentoo and what does it do? A linux OS? Isn't RedHat an OS for linux (or something!)?

13. Shinigami-Sama

Shinigami-Sama New Member

yes, it's arguably the most bleeding edge distro out there, arguably

it's customizable to the teeth, seeing as how you can chose to compile everything but portage which is the core of it, so it can ber as barebones or feature rich as you need/want/have the time for it to be