Movies Lord of the Ring

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hikaru, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Hikaru

Hikaru New Member

the RING *shudder*

I just went with a friend to watch this movie and I just got home like 3 hours ago.

Anyways, have you guys seen it? I thought it was, well, I liked it, but it really did shake me up! I don't think I should discuss it lest I spoil it for someone else, but if you HAVE seen it, what do you think aobut it, your favorite parts..blah blah.

O yea, I thought the ending was kinda cool...if I interpreted it right....

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Did you know it was inspired by a cult Japanese film called "Ringu"?

3. SyxPak

SyxPak New Member

Yeah, I saw it on DVD a while back.
    It was a very different type of "scarey" from teh usual Hollywood stuff, as I expected.
    Quite unnerving :)

There's a sequel (Ring2) and what I assume is a prequel (Ring0).
    Another one on the Tartan Asian Extreme label is battle Royal. Good film, though I heard it left a load out from the book.
    I have the ISBN number for the book somewhere....must order it for christmas.

4. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

syx, "THE Ring" is an american remake of Ring, the f film you saw.

it ain't been released here yet, won't be for a few months I'd say

5. Energizer Bunny

Energizer Bunny i wuv you

i just saw the ring (american version) and it kicks!!! i havent been so creeped out in my entire life (which some will respond--she doesnt get out much does she) but yeah it was an awesome movie and you should all go see it if youre in the mood for a great thriller *nods*
    the buns gives it two thumbs way up!!! yay!!

6. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

I've seen the first two Rings(the japanese versions), very ****ing cool films. Bastard before it was on completely ruined the ending from the first one. the dirty rat bastard. I'll see the american version when it's released here probably, but I doubt it'd be as good as the japanese version.

7. Hikaru

Hikaru New Member

Hm...you should go see it, DL. With the American graphics, I think it was very realistic and not too bad.

There's gonna be a sequel? GAH!!!!

Yeah, I only found out that it was actually first a Japanese movie when I was telling it to Sachiko, who'd heard the story from someone else before. LOL..

So yea, I thought it was a kool movie (gave me the creeps that night).

8. LegendarySpider

LegendarySpider New Member

I just saw that today! My sister and I were so freaked out...we kept our eyes covered the whole time. :sweat2: Then, on the way home, we kept thinking about it...we couldn't get our minds off it at all! Oh, holy cripes, it was freaky. We watched Gilmore Girls to make ourselves feel better. It worked. :p But now y'all say there is not only another version of this movie, but also a prequel and a sequel? This is indeed a disturbing universe.....
    :glazed: Jeez...

9. Makaveli

Makaveli New Member

Anybody seen both versions?
    At least then we could get a guage. Everything I've heard about the original is good, something tells me the remake is lacking though.

10. Sachiko

Sachiko happy SMJ shoujo ^_^

I thought so!!!

11. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

Actualy, it's not "Ringu", it's just plain Ring. It could be called ringu, because that's how it's spellt in kana in the title, but it really means ring. I will see the US version when it comes out, but I really doubt it will be as good. Special effects don't make a movie, over reliance can make one worse. I'd always choose a foreign/arthouse film over a hollywood one tbh.

12. Tailki

Tailki New Member

I saw that movie a while ago when it was out. It was good. I don't think it was scary, just really creepy. I want to see the Japenese ones!!!!!

13. Shadowhawk

Shadowhawk New Member

You know what's weird? A few years back, I read a review of the japanese version and it said, "This film is so thrilling and original that it's surprising that Hollywood hasn't nicked it yet!"

Well I'm sure not surprised!

14. sailorvenus

sailorvenus 24 days to go...^^

The Ring!!! The best movie of 2002. I really love it! I also wanted to see the Jap version--A friend of mine is willing to lend me her copied tape. I can't wait!!! ^^

15. Dredz

Dredz Clown With A Frown

Seen the originals and I don't see how any Hollywood movie could live up to it, tbh.

Scared the crap out of me, they did.

16. Stos

Stos New Member

LOTR discussion

I see so many posts about this movie/book that I thought I would make a thread where everybody can talk about anything that revolves around The Lord of The Rings. I actually think it should have it's own topic on the G to P board. I also did not know if i should put here or in misc. So you Mods can feel free to move this to somewhere else.

Well I wanted to ask the people who have actually read the book, the Fellowship one, who is this missing person that is not in the movie by the name of Tom something, I think? I was (well actually still am, but not really paying as much attention) watching the Special extended DVD of the Fellowship and watching the third disc that is from book to movie and they mention this guy. They say some fans from of the book are mad that he is not in it, but go on to say that he has little importance on the story. Who is this guy? What role did he have? Just a little curious

17. Odin

Odin Member

You are thinking of Tom Bombadil.

He has no real point to the story, besides rescuing one of the hobbits from being eaten by a tree (or . . . something like that). While I'm perfectly happy with the choice to not include him in the movie (along with the barrow-downs), it would have been really interesting to see him on the big screen!
    -Odin

18. Dredz

Dredz Clown With A Frown

I hated Tom Bombadil.... worst character in the book, IMAO. He just ran around singing for a while. He was supposed to be really old or something. I think it mentions him in the Silmarillion at one point, too.

19. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

ah.. but I wanted to see Goldberry...

I think it so cool that MacBeth inspired Tolkien to create Old Man Willow and the Ents.

20. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

did I kill this thread? can we talk about Tolkien's life, Beowulf, Norse Mythology, the Kalavala and MacBeth?