Saber Marionette Lorelei (Manga)

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Jedimdo, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

I've finished reading the manga of SMJ but something have been bothering me since Volume 5. Lorelei, who is a bit different from the anime, has a few contradictory lines in the manga. My question is: How did Lorelei know she was the only female over Terra II? It is clear that she knew this since she left a message in a disc where she explained how to reintroduce women to Terra II But she was already in hibernation when the ship crashed on the planet. :confused:

2. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

um... she sees no women around but androids in their places?

Just a thought. (Keep in mind that Lorelei is a genius child, and her deductive abilities should be pretty high)

3. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

In the manga, Lorelei is sealed in a capsule not unlike Lime's. She does not emerge from that capsule at all before Ieyasu found the disk, and not after, either. Thus, she can clearly not be aware of her surroundings.

My only thought is maybe she had a premonition or something. I'll have to re-read it.

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

...or even more bewildering, why did Lorelei leave the message specifically for the six surviving men by name?

There are two very important things to think on regarding these questions.

1) In flashback of Chapter 31, also in Volume 5 of the Manga, Lorelei is discussing cloning of human embryos with Faust and Ieyasu. Is it possible in the manga version that Lorelei is the last surviving female even before they reach Terra II?

2) The final volume was a forced job and leaves a number of holes in the pockets of information it presents. For instance, the above scene from point one runs directly into a scene much later where Lorelei is already encapsulated. In fact, nowhere is it even explained how she ended up in the capsule or how the others became stranded on Terra II. One could assume it follows the story of the anime, as the manga ends with the group searching after the clue of "the land of rebirth - Mesopotamia". In that case, there is no reason she might have had advance warning of her predicament as in the anime (Lorelei has a hurried last correspondance over video communication with Faust and Ieyasu after Mesopotamia rebels and before becoming encapsulated). The manga Lorelei could have recorded the disk as a last means of communication, knowing her incapacitation wouldn't be far off.

In the end, the details are so far and few in the manga to give a solid answer, but it doesn't take much to come up with many valid answers as to how her disk came into existence.

Edit: Just realized that this whole topic was probably brought about because Ieyasu only found the disk some time after Lorelei was encapsulated. While it may seem farfetched that they overlooked it all that time, it's far from impossible, either.

5. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

It is true. When I reached this point I just wondered what I was missing
    But still I can't find a valid answer that does not contradict with any point of the manga except for, of course, that Lorelei could know the future :p

What I wonder the most is what this cloning foundation thing is, that they still needed to work more in order to return women to Terra II. What about men? Is the cloning process different? I don't think so. It seems that Lorelei just made up her conclusions very stupidly and messed up (sorry Luvweaver :p)