Saber Marionette Lorelei!!!

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by luvweaver, May 13, 2002.

1. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Hi, i would like to talk about an ignored character in JtoX.

Lorelei.

The perfect mother.

When i was writing my fanfics, i hadn't noticed Lorelei was such a lovely and motherly person. She is perfect to raise Lime, Bloodberry and Cherry. (And she's the perfect companion for Otaru! *giggle* :anime:

Also, due to her past experiences, she must be a very interesting character to talk about / with. More interesting not only because she's female AND human, but also because she was born on Earth.

If anyone wants to comment about her, he's welcome to do so

:)

If i had to choose to be a SMJ character, i thought: Maybe Otaru because i'll live with 3 wonderful girls. But why not Lorelei?

Or maybe Koyuki (WHAT??? Well you have to read my fic entitled "second chance" to see why... :D )

Long live Lorelei!!

2. Sachiko

Sachiko happy SMJ shoujo ^_^

HI RICK!!!!

I agree ^-^ Lorelei is the perfect mother, not just for Lime and the others, but a natural mother herself.

I DO wonder how her life was back on Earth. Actually, I started wondering when you began talking about what she did in your fic "second chance". Like, leaving behind her friends and family.

If I were to live as an SMJ character, it'll be *thinks*...(LOL)

3. Echiko

Echiko New Member

HAO!!!

Cool! True, true, Lorelei is such a great mother. SHe has full potential to be one! ^_^ About Lorelei born from earth, that I JUST remembered (I'm such a hard-head :sweat2: )

Who I wanna be...who do I wanna be?? :p uh...*grins*

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Motherly? Perhaps I should eventually read these aforementioned fics. I just never have really pictured her in that way... but it might fit.

I find Lorelei one of the most intriguing SMJ characters mainly because of how Lime, Cherry, and Bloodberry are pieces of her. Finding the connection between these four is always interesting to do, as is seeing how a single female in a male world is treated.

I think J to X far from ignored Lorelei, at least from what I've seen (1-15). The issue is raised of whether or not she is merely a treasure of Japoness, and is answered with the argument that she is a human being...and should be such treated.

I haven't fully gotten a full feel for her character, but I find her a very conscious person, often times with low self-esteem, overwhelmed by responsibilty, and as a result, somewhat workaholic.

That's all I have to say for now.

5. Lady Aoi

Lady Aoi Princess of Shirataki

I like lorelei, I'm just never really sure how to put her into my fics, unless it's some kind of bizzare love triangle thing (Hana-Otaru-Lorelei) or a few cameos in a much longer series. I guess she'd be a good mother.

AOI

6. luvweaver

Lorelei's sorrows

Yes, i had seen that

So far, Lorelei is ridden with so many emotions she has to work out.

For example.

1) She feels guilty about the Mesopotamia incident - but what are her feelings towards Mesopotamia herself? Is she bitter / fearful to her? What if she had to meet her?

2) She feels so claustrofobic, locked in castle Japoness like some kind of prisoner... a golden cage. Too sad.

3) Well, the next one isn't sad. She has feelings for Otaru. Are they pure feelings, or they're mixed with lust? (300 years of loneliness MUST have affected her, don't you think? ;)

4) If she has the oportunity, she will build very close relationships with Lime and Bloodberry. I don't know about Cherry... she seems more distant to establish a relationship.

In my fics i explore these possibilities.

Well... cya soon!

7. Lime

Lime Claude ish MY honey ^.^

^.^ You all made such good points!!

I think they should of showed Lorelei a little more, or made her had a bigger role in the series (J, J again, J to X, etc.) She seemed to always be in the backround, and never the one to say much. When actually, she was really important. I loved Lorlei. I just wish they showed more of her. :(

8. luvweaver

Hey, why don't you read one of my fics?

Currently you can read "In search of true love". You'll love chapter 2. "A mother is born", where Lorelei begins experiencing motherly feelings for Lime (and later for Bloodberry).

The plain text version is at fanfiction.net.

The interactive music version is at http://rgarcia.angelcities.com/smj/ (search for the Fanfic at the left frame).

When you read it you can review the chapter at fanfiction.net - i like being reviewed.

God bless!!

9. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

I never had that much time to think about Lorelei like that, since I read your fics all too soon. ^^; But I realize that she would be a great mother. I mean, she has the heart to think that humans and machines can live together in harmony, and she was generous to the Mesopotamia, and...^^; Oops. Babbling!

Anyway, if you're gonna read Rick's fic ("In Search of True Love"), then go read it at the site. It's got BGM! ^^ Then go and leave a review. Check out the manga version too! It's sooooo pretty. :catgirl:

10. luvweaver

Mother

Maybe you guys haven't realized this yet - but isn't Lorelei supposed to be the new Eve for the planet? I mean, her genes are going to be present in all future generations of women, not to mention the men that are born from them.

So saying she's a natural mother is not exagerating... she's SOOO sweeet :)

11. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I found that Lorelei is so awesome and such a motherly character, I mean she is compassionate, wise, intellingent, caring, strong at heart, innocent(well hey it's part of the otome's as well). But even moreso I found her quite a bit like Mary, the Mother of Jesus! she just had a holy aura surrounding her throughout the show as well.

12. luvweaver

Figure of Mary???

How curious. I got to know more about Mary when analyzing Lorelei's character. i.e. her motherhood... I mean, the motherly feelings that Lorelei feels for Lime, aren't they what Mary would feel for all of us?

Yeah... deep thought.

13. kapitanbar

kapitanbar Member

If nobody knew the tale about Lorelei, here it goes in a good abstract.

The Legend of Lorelei

Seems that Lorelei is the incarnates the curse of Love. Faust represents Goethe's Faust and will do anything (even a deal with devil=Hess). Tiger, Panther and Luchs with those tank's names, mere objects for Faust to reach his objective.

Until Otaru enters in the story.

Lorelei is that unreacheable goal. Was like that for 300+ years. But it's not the way Faust pretends to follow the way to reach her. True Love and feelings are on the other way the right path.

At least is what I see it happens on J, particularly with Lorelei.

Her motherly feelings are better shown in J to X, giving advices to the marionettes (for example in the chapter where Lime fights to protect the forest), or telling about the marionettes' possible future (the scene when Lime is followed by chickens, etc).

Ah, another big Lorelei's appearance for this role is on chapter #20 of J.

14. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Excellent post! Spot on with my thoughts, kapitanbar.

I think the only bits of information I could yet drop on the subject that hasn't been put forth, is the evidence that points towards Faust (the first) and Lorelei having known each other prior before leaving Earth, which means there had even been some bondage between the two before the whole Mesopotamia incident - he gives her a rose (named after her) to celebrate the beginning of their voyage.

Lorelei, being a German name, would strongly suggest she is originally from Germany along with Faust.

With all the connections he had to her, and the way everything appeared to be progressing in favor of the two living a fairy tale life, it's quite tragic how events unfolded and Faust lost sight of exactly what had driven him to Lorelei's rescue in the first place - love.

I love the multilevel imagery, references, and open-ended interpretation SMJ brings. :)

15. luvweaver

Actually, I think it's a bit side effect having the character we know as Lorelei. In the original novel, Lorelei was dead (suicide pact with Faust - mor into the german legend) and the Lorelei everyone knew was actually the mesopotamia using a body Lorelei had built for her.

I found this on Hanami's Saber Marionette World.

So, i find it fascinating that in the series Lorelei became such an interesting character, when she wasn't designed like that in the first place. I'd like to interview the author regarding this.