Music Lyrics

Discussion in 'Music' started by GentatsuNoZanshi cc61, Feb 3, 2002.

?

What genre has the best lyrics?

1. Rock (Staind, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit)

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Metal (Powerman 5000, Ozzy Osbourne, Rob Zombie)

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Rap (DMX, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Punk (Blink 182, The Offspring, Sum 41)

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Pop (Christina Aguilera, N*Stink, Backstreet Boys)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Ska (can't think of a band ...)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other (Barenaked Ladies, Alanis Morrisette)

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Lyrically-speaking, which style of music do you prefer?

By the way, I have intentionally left out some styles of music, such as techno, because I don't really see too much lyrics in such songs.
    Also, remember that we're talking about music from all over the world, be it English, French, Japanese, whatever, and not just current music. Consider the old tunes as well.

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Darn! I was going to vote Techno! :p

So, what is Ska, then?

BakaMattSu, sometimes he just doesn't fit completely into any single category...

3. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

As it turns out, I thought of two examples of ska music. Think Sublime or The Mighty Mighty Boss Tones. Otherwise, I can think of another two, but they don't count because they don't do ska any more (NOFX even made a song about that), those two being NOFX and No Doubt, both of whom used to do ska but don't now and haven't for years.
    For an example of a song, I'll recommend y'all to Santeria by Sublime, or that one about knocking on wood by the MMBT (can't remember the title).

4. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Well, I have somehow offended Zanza with my calling N*Sync by the name I've called them for ages ... so for that, I am sorry. Please note that I am apologizing for offending you, not for calling them N*Stink. Simply put, they reek. I can smell them from here. Don't expect anything less from a Dark Side freaky-rocker like myself. Give me Staind over a boy band any day.

Once again, sorry for the offense, but as I always say, we can all have our opinions, and I was just voicing mine.

5. Lady Aoi

Lady Aoi Princess of Shirataki

It's interesting that you put up BNL as one of the representatives of the "other" category. I simply adore the Ladies' work, and I think they have some of the best lyrics out there these days.

~ Lady Aoi

6. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

I think of BNL as "other" because they pump out tracks in such a varied fashion ... they have soft rock (Call And Answer), pop-type stuff (One Week), rock (It's Only Me), and something else entirely, that which eludes classification ... Be My Yoko Ono. Their cover of Lovers In A Dangerous Time is amazing. All in all, they're the second-best band from Canada, methinks, second, of course to The Guess Who.

7. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Some Examples

I thought I'd give two examples of lyrics from a song of each genre ...

Rock
    "You're all lost in your own little worlds / Little worlds you'll never fix"
    -Staind, Open Your Eyes-
    "I want to see you again someday / So leave me alone, away with you!"
    -The Pillows, Advice-

Metal
    "Can you explain just what you are? 'Cause I've never been this close to a star."
    -Powerman 5000, Supernova Goes Pop-
    "I am breathing, I am breathing, I am screaming ... Scum of the Earth!"
    -Rob Zombie, Scum of the Earth-

Rap
    "Y'all guh make me ack no foo'!"
    (You all are not going to make me act like a fool!)
    -DMX, Party Up-
    "I'm the reason there's no time to reach for that weapon."
    -Xzibit, B--ch Please-

Punk
    "Chances blown / Nothing's free / Longing for / What used to be / Still it's hard / Hard to see / Fragile lives / Shattered dreams."
    -The Offspring, The Kids Aren't All Right-
    "I hear you calling, calling for me out in the night / But it's all bad, and I know that ..."
    -Gob, I Hear You Calling-

Pop
    "Listen, baby I'm sorry / Just wanna tell you don't worry / I will be late; don't stay up and wait for me. / Said I can't hear, you're dropping out / My battery is low / Just so you know, / We're going to a place nearby / Gotta go."
    -Backstreet Boys, The Call-
    "You plus me / It doesn't equal us! / You took my car, / Now I gotta take the bus. / I thought I had a girl / That I could trust / I guess I never knew my calculus."
    -2gether, The Hardest Part Of Breaking Up Is Getting Back Your Stuff-

Ska
    "F--k Zionism! F--k militarism ..."
    -Propagandhi, F--k Religion-
    can't think of any actually good examples ...

Other
    "You can be my Yoko Ono / You can follow me whereever I go."
    -Barenaked Ladies, Be My Yoko Ono-
    "Once again, as predicted, left my broken heart open, and you ripped it out."
    -Sugar Ray, Every Morning-

8. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

I just noticed I left country music off the list ... and folk music too ... well, if you want to vote for either of those, just post it, I guess ...

9. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

After much thought, Baka decided he's most like a Punk...

10. Heero Yui

Heero Yui New Member

GNZ what have you got under metal there ??? All ive heard from there is Ozzy and hes not heavy and hes crap too , if you put Metallica in id vote metal , they do good lyrics

11. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

What about Powerman 5000, Rammstein, (vomits) Marilon Manson, Methods of Mayhem ... the list goes on. Ozzy Osbourne isn't all there is to metal, mi amigo. One man cannot make a genre on his own.
    And I wouldn't really call Metallica metal. Sure, some of their music is, such as Enter Sandman or Until It Sleeps, but then they put down another track like Nothing Else Matters, Unforgiven or The One, which are pretty soft, in my eyes, anyway. I do have to agree that they have great lyrics though.

"Where do I take this pain of mine?
    I run but it stays right by my side"
    -Metallica, Until It Sleeps-

By the way, head to PureLyrics.com for some lyrical stuff ... some of the songs aren't quite correct though. For the most part, though, they're accurate.