Manga Ring Project M2A Manga ring

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Suzu, Feb 9, 2003.

1. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

The official start date is June 26. So we're a bit early. I think we should wait until we have more setting designers. *Can't do it by herself o.0*

Also, when they say "clean up", we don't mean with an eraser, lol. We mean, when teh artists scan the manga, it's all pencil. Inkers and cleaners erase stray marks and ink the art on the computer with a program. It's an ideal job for internet graphic people who are experienced with PSP, Adobe Photoshop, and such.

The only thing I was a little confused about was drawing the actual manga. Are we going to assign people to pages, or is everyone gonna do parts of the pages? If so, how would we do that?
    For example, if mangaka 1 draws the background, mangaka 2 draws teh body, and mangaka 3 draws the face... would the graphic people put it all together? Or would we just say: mangaka1 do page 31 mangaka 2 do page 32 mangaka 3 do page 33?

2. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

yeah, i was thinking the same kind of thing with the cg'ing and toning. How's quality control going to be done?. is there going to be established some range of tones for skin etc in various lighting? and what general colouring styles?. It would look really dodgy if you could tell which manga-ka drew which parts, and who cg'ed other parts.:p
    (is it going to be colour?)
    i suppose we got a rather long while to figure this out though. (if it hasn't already.)

3. UFOtaku

Since "Toners/CGers" is a category, I think it is in color. ^.^

Oh, and by the way, where is the manga going to be hosted? I know Suzu is working on a layout. ^_^ But where is teh site?

4. UmiRyuuzaki45

UmiRyuuzaki45 New Member

Not to put anybody down but those stories seem a little tuff to do. And it seems they would be a little long also. Maybe we could illustrate a book. Or maybe a short srory. I just thought of this idea last night. I have this book it's called 'Hawaii's Best Spooky Tales 3' and there are some good stories in here.

We might need a really good background artist though. And seeing as we don't have many to begin with this would be a challenge. We could do a different story to help improve the skills of each occupation though.

Like do a story that needs pretty backgrounds to help the background artists. And do a story that helps the main artists with their perspective. This is just my thoughts though. You all can read some short stories to give us more ideas.

Suzu if you want to breed more into this idea then please do so. I thought it might be fun. And give's the story writers more time to come up with something while we practice.

5. UmiRyuuzaki45

UmiRyuuzaki45 New Member

Okay. I just came up with a new idea about the whole illustration process. We can split into teams and each team can take, like, 3 pages. Actually depending on the length of time between deadline and start date we could take more or less pages.

Teams like, one manga-ka, one ink/cleaner, one cg/toner and background artsit. And all the character designers can team up first and compile the characters. We don't want them all in a different style. Combine each style into one. The layout designers can also be one team to do the layout's. Then assign them to cretain teams

Also if one team finishes early they can announce it and help another team that might be lagging a bit. Then the editor's can go over all the pages, with eachother.

Would this work out. There are no flaws for me but if it prove's difficult to anyone or has flaws I don't notice please speak up.

Sorry if I seem to be making too many suggestions. Oh and Suzu and look over all the pages and help us out and stuff, you know as head of the whole project and everything. You need an important job. Heh.

If you want me to go into more detail Suzu I can.

6. UFOtaku

The more suggestions the better! But I still think we should wait a bit, since... there's only on setting person.... and that's me... and I draw veeeery slow.... and not as well as I'd like.... I'm working on it on my own, though!! ^_^

7. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

i guess if we need setting designers that bad i could pitch in with that. god knows i've got plenty of spare time at the moments:rolleyes: :D

8. UmiRyuuzaki45

UmiRyuuzaki45 New Member

Of course we'll wait. I'm not trying to rush the project. Just working the little things out so we won't have to once it begins. Maybe if you have artisitic friends of the net that can help with settings we could get more people. Doubt it though, i'm the most artistic of my friends and I suck.

Anyway, what do you think of my idea. Just to say i'm mostly an idea person and not really that devoting. But i'll work real hard on this, it's fun...but stressfull, and we haven't even started. -_-'

9. UFOtaku

Haha, oh yeah, stress!!
    Well, I think I have a friend who can do backgrounds. But she's pretty computer-illiterate.

10. UmiRyuuzaki45

UmiRyuuzaki45 New Member

hmmm...where's Suzu been lately?

11. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Gomen Gomen Gomen! SORRY!

Some answers to points discussed! :) Please provide input!
    How it will work?
    Scanning and Sending them to the right ppl! Just as UFOtaku said.

Main Project Requirements
    Scanner
    Photoshop or any other program that allows editing images

Quality of Art
    Manga will not be colored. Instead we will use Digital Screen Tones Only the Cover Pages will be in color!

I need your input on this idea:
    Preserving the Same Art style
    We can make several tutorials on how to draw a certain character in the manga, this way everyone can follow a procedure and the style might be close enough.

Mangaka's Job
    Certain pages will be assigned. A manga sketch (not so detailed but contains Frames and character is certain poses) and images of certain settings.

Length of Manga
    I'm really not sure how long it's going to be, since this is our first try. The Blue Crow's story is interesting, but we need the writers to give us input on their stories and how long they are going to be.

Manga Ring HQ URL
    Coming soon. I'll post it once the site is uploaded and finished! ^_^

Thank you all for giving your input!
    :D Please keep giving suggestions and your opinions!

UPDATED List of MEMBERS__________________________________________
    Story Writers: k0gepAn_LuFF3r, _Teddz_, User18, Nephilim_X, Meaikoh_Takashi, Blue Crow, Bloodberry, UFOtaku(FULL NO MORE)

Editors: Zanza, Tooma, Skuld, Meaikoh Takashi, Bloodberry

Character Designers: Tooma, Blue Crow, Inu-Girl, Misao, chiquitabanana, Okami (FULL NO MORE)

Setting Designers: UFOtaku, Poom-poom, Suzu

Manga layout Designers: Inu-Girl, Suzu

Mangaka: Misao, MrPig, BloodBerry, chiquitabanana, UFOtaku, UmiRyuuzaki45

Inkers/Cleaniner (outlining): Misao, Yuna, Kibu,

Toners/CGers: Suzu, Yuna, Kibu, Poom-poom

On hold/Waiting list: Inu-loves-Kago, shohen

12. UFOtaku

*Hugs Poom and Suzu* Yay! More setting people! ^_^

About the character thing. I think we should ofcourse, if we're assigning pages. We need to do it so that people can't tell when we assign pages. I guess the manga-ka will have to work it out. Also, if we're doing more than one story, we can do it the way CLAMP does.

Tell me what you think, but Manga-ka with similar styles could team up, like for instance, out of teh six of us, if three of us draw one style, and three draw another similar style: we are gruop one and group two.

Then, if were drawing two mangas at teh same time, team one could do one, team one does the other. And the opposite team can always help out the other with little things.

This is an idea for later on, not our first project. This way:
    -everyone dosent have to learn one style
    -we can get more work done ^^

13. Superfly

Superfly Active Member

uhhh hi...
    *enter baka mode*
    i erm, made a post with my own web-manga and someone said i might as well job in here if i feel like it...
    dunno, guess i could give it a shot 'n stuff...
    if you think youmigt need me, y'can always reply or drop me a PM and stuff...
    *exit baka mode*
    Sayanora ;)

14. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

I think that's a good process! :) and Please don't be sorry, Keep on suggesting it helps us a lot :)

Hmm... Illustrating a book while writers write, that's not a bad idea at all. And With UFotaku suggestions we can end up doing two mangas just like CLAMP :). and it's practice.

Who would like to volenteer in this practice?
    What short story will we use?

15. k0gepan

k0gepan New Member

Ah, well, my exams are done and ****, so I'm pretty much ready to start on this. I need to conference with the other writers. :) Who's doing what, etc. Suzu, I likes the new name btw. ;) Great, I'm really excited about doing this! Cheers all.

16. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

I am ready to go as well.When does it start,next Thursday?See you then.;)

17. UFOtaku

Well, I guess each group should have a conference first, huh? So we should set up dates where we can go to a chat room or something. Do all of you have AIM/MSN/Yahoo/ICQ? Which one?
    I have all four and more. ;)

18. Superfly

Superfly Active Member

I have :
    AIM = UrbanFlyAngel
    MSN = paw_321@hotmail.com
    Yahoo = sake_superfly
    ICQ = 165534252

19. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

i'm what we call a 'technology have not'. i've got none:D .
    i've got e-mail, pm here, and thats about it.:rolleyes:

20. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator