Manga Manga=Nerds?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Luffy, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Luffy

Luffy I Can See A New Horizon

I dont't mean this in anyway bad but it's just a thought that I've been wondering about. Why is manga considered nerdy? I say this for one reason maybe this is just in my state but people at my schools that are part of the anime club and such at school are considered nerds? I don't get it is it just some thing that some people just decided was nerdy? I was just wondering why people make this assumption that if you read manga or watch anime your a nerd? I know this isn't true becasue the person that introduced me to manga was one of the coolest people I know. My sister think that the people at her school that read manga are nerds? any reason that you guys might know of?

-Luffy

2. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

You're asking people on a site dedicated to Anime and the japanese culture. Let me ask this as an example: Is bird watching nerdy? Is rock climbing nerdy? Is ballroom dancing nerdy?

Everyone has their own passion; Their own drive. We all like different things. Where you like anime, someone else might be a fan of pro wrestling. Where I like LARP, someone else might like martial arts.

I don't know what defines nerdy, but I think it's all based on opinion. Like I think Hot Topic is nerdy. I think all the little nerdy goths go there. But you might like that store, and think nerds shop at Old Navy. But I digress.

No kiddo, I don't think manga or anime or any of these things are nerdy. I enjoy them, I always have and that is what really matters.

3. Fushigi Rockna

we are not nerdy.

The only reason people view manga enthusiasts as nerdy is because they view comic enthusiasts as being nerdy, therefore, manga is lumped with comics.

People can be jerks with their stereotypes >>

4. Chance

Hey, hey, hey.. I happen to like comic books as well. >.>

5. Fushigi Rockna

So do I. (yay JTHM!!! =DDD) it's other people who consider comic book fans to be nerdy, not me. >>
    I mean just look at Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons. That, my friend, is the stereotype. o_O

6. Chance

Very true because I am far from fat and hairy and male. XD Anyway, manga is not nerdy.

7. Luffy

yea i dont get why people think that just because you like some thing differnt there nerds but they can be as dumb as they want because WE ARE AWSOME!

8. Chance

Well, I am Kat Fantastic™. Being awesome is like my job. And liking manga just helps prove I make nerdiness cool. ><;;

9. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Luffy tell Basher will kick their... Well I used too. :p

It's different. Most people don't understand when others can take the risk of actually getting involved into something.

So Luffy don't get bothered by it. People are just nasty and they never change. Like what you like in a few years it won't matter.

Or tell them a good friend of the board was in the group that the "in crowd" feared.

10. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

Well gimme' a weggie and call me a nerd..Screw those people or give Peacheh a call..seriously..I am IZ a manga/anime NERD!

11. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

pssssh... when someone (AKA me) can beat up the biggest guy on the football team (and HAS) then I dont think reading manga is nerdy... not one bit... even though i think being in love with band is nerdy seeing as I am gonan be in band through out my life *Music Education major! lol*

12. Luffy

yea i don't get why people can make up that sterotype because when you do one thing that people find nerdy and you can be good at every thing else your not such a nerd but i would have to say if youre a basement urchin yea your a nerd :p

13. Chance

Everything gets stereotyped. It's human nature to bunch everything it an easily recognized group. =/ It happens, don't worry on it too much.

14. Rai Konoko

Rai Konoko New Member

I am far to busy to be a nerd ... got better things to do.
    besides ... define a nerd...

I dont worry bout it, i am unstable xD just beat the mofo's up :p