Martial Arts Martial Arts FAQ

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hitokiri_Gensai, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

This is a FAQ for the martial arts. Ask a question, any question, and someone will provide and answer. Like the rules state for this and almost every other forum, NO SPAMMING.

Anyway, if you have any questions, just post them here and someone, probably me, will provide an answer or a place to find an answer.

PLEASE KEEP ON TOPIC

2. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

Im looking to study a martial arts that is very practical in real life and is not something that is not worth wasting my time on. I have studied Jujitsu, Akito, and Tae Kwon Do but all these seem to be impractical.. I was looking towards something that is simialr in its ways to Akito.. Maybe Mui Thai... I dont know but knowing you Gensai maybe you might have some ideas? Thank you in advance!

~ Hiro
    (P.S. THIS IS MY 500TH POST! yay... now imwaiting for 500 more! lol)

3. Hitokiri_Gensai

its Aikido btw, based on Aikijujutsu. Eitherway, what do you mean by "practical"? Aikido is a very practical martial art, its whole focus is based around defending against an attacker.

4. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

have only study very little of Akido (as for the reason of mispelling) maybe you think I should continue with Akido? I was also thinking of maybe adding Mui Thai reversal's and holds for more offensive structure as well... I dont trully know thtas why im asking you lol

5. Hitokiri_Gensai

hrm id suggest karatedo or maybe taijutsu as a match for aikido.

6. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

thanks Gensai the info was much appreciated ... maybe if you could pm me with some links or info about karatedo and taijutsu so that I can look into them further. Icould search on the web but id rather have a more reliable source such as yourself!

~ joey

7. Ratty

Ratty New Member

One thing to keep in mind with styles that old is the fact that they're tested and they do work. The deciding factor is the budoka. If you take the most "practical" art on the planet for your whole life and don't have the proper mindset, spirit, etc., you'll lose to someone who does with minimal training.

8. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I have a question on Katanas. I heard of daitō (2 shaku = 2 feet in length). I believe that is correct. What else is there?

9. Hitokiri_Gensai

Japanese swords are all measured by the length of the blade and then divided into different catagories.

Tanto (短刀) are blades under 1 shaku (shaku is 11.93 inches)
    Shoto (小刀) are between 1 shaku and 2 shaku
    Daito (大刀) are two shaku or greater.

there are inbetween cases such as O-tanto which are slightly greater than 1 shaku, and Kodachi which are classified as a shoto but are generally slightly longer than 2 shaku. O-dachi (大太刀) are swords of extended length, generally over 30 inches in blade length. No-dachi (野太刀) is a field sword and generally were very long, sometimes having blades exceeding 200cm (78 inches or 6.5 feet) in length.

10. Ratty

Ratty New Member

Basically they range in length from the width of this sentence to 20+ feet. There are names for the different lengths, but as a rule, they're the same overall design. There are differences, like different fittings, deeper curves, one ridge is shaped differently, stuff like that. A person with no experience with swords usually couldn't pick out one japanese sword from another except based on fittings or length.

11. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

What are some good legends based on martial arts or swords?

12. Hitokiri_Gensai

Well there are the legends of the Muramasa swords.

Muramasa Senzo was a Sengo smith from the Ise Province. Muramasa's blades were considered to be evil or bloodthirsty. Muramasa was supposedly a man of violent disposition verging on madness. His blades are considered to be extremely fine weapons, but are said to drive their owners to madness and murder. They say once removed from its Saya, that it will not return unless it tastes blood. The Tokugawa feared them beyond anything else. Tokugawa Ieyasu placed a ban upon them forbading his men to wear or even own a Muramasa blade. He destoryed all that he could find, thus Muramasa's blades are extremely rare. There are many stories of the evil that Muramasa's blades cast upon the Tokugawa.

There is the legend of an art known as Kiaijutsu from ancient times. The user, could actually create a shockwave of energy with a scream that concentrated all the energy in their body, all the "ki" in their body and focus it into a scream that could kill. Is it true? perhaps, Kiai can be exceedingly powerful when done by a trained martial artist. It can wash over a person like a wave of water and knock them over. So, it might have been true.