Megas XLR yet again spoofs BotP!

Discussion in 'Gatchaman' started by Dirk Daring, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

If you dont know what Megas XLR is, its an animated series that airs on Cartoon Network. One of its most well-liked aspects is the fact that at times it spoofs pop culture and classic anime. Sailor Moon & Robotech being 2 of the victims to spoofing. But the one that everyone here will care about is the spoofing of Battle of the Planets. The show spoofs G-Force (S-Force. They even spoofed Keyop down to a tee, by providing his "clone" with bleeps & bloops for speech. Except ALL of his speech is in bleeps & bloops :rolleyes: They also spoof Voltron to a lesser extent, with the robot transformation sequences. Both of these spoofs are combined into one to make S-Force! :) ), Zoltar/Galactor (most faithful spoof yet. Mask looks EXACTLY like the original, costume is altered.) & 7-Zark-7 (the Zoltar spoof is called "Zarkin" IIRC). 2 of the original BotP voice actors have lend their voices to the spoofs (heard it was Ronnie Schnell & another guy) Maybe other little spoofs that i left out as well.

They aired one episode about S-Force already in the first season, and in tonight's episode ("S-Force S.O.S) they brought them back again! I only saw a couple of snippets as i was busy, but the most notable scene was when S-Force formed the Whirlwind Pyramid EXACTLY like the originals and blew the enemies (who were robotic spoofs of the Spectrans/Gallactors. Similar costumes too) away! If you want to see it, they air re-runs on Cartoon Network Sunday nights @ 10:30 EST and on next Saturday afternoon at around noon/1 ish. Its a must-see for all Gatchaman fans, despite the spoof being off of BotP,which is understandable seeing GoS is so damn obscure :mad:

2. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

Thanks for the heads up! I missed the one from the first season, so I'll be sure to TiVo this episode on Saturday.

I checked tvtome.com, and the other BotP voice actor is Alan Young (Keyop/Zark).

3. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

To be exact, the re-run airs at 1:30 PM EST on Saturday. Who knows, you might even become a fan of the show in the process! ;)

4. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

For those of you who grew up watching classic anime other than BotP, you should definitely keep your eye on this show. Many spoofs abound. On tonight's episode they spoofed an old show called "Captain Harlock". I know nothing of it, until looking it up and seeing that it was dubbed by the same company as Robotech, Harmony Gold back in 1985. Do you know of this show Mark? They also copycated the Voltron sword formation frame-to-frame. This show is pure genius.

5. Meridian

Meridian New Member

Kewl :D I wonder how long this 2nd season will take to lurch across the big pond so I can watch it?

6. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

Sure as hell not as long enough as it'll take for one of us to recieve the Anime Network!