Saber Marionette "Mesopotamia" or "Mesopotamia V"?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by InuYasha, Nov 16, 2001.

1. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

For those of you in the know,in the original Japanese,the rebellious colony ship in SMJ is referred to as "Mesopotamia-go." The question is,is the "go" tacked on the end the number 5,or is it some sort of suffix for ship names? The fansubs of J to X on my computer lean towards the former,and yet in Outlaw Star they refer to the Outlaw Star by tacking on the "go" at the end of the name. So which is it? We could probably solve the matter quickly if someone knew of references in the manga/novel,as presumably the appropriate Kanji would be written...

------------------
    Inuyasha ha brand sponsor
    no teikyou de
    okuri-shimashita!!

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Good question. I feel wrong, but I've gone with V, which is evident in my pathetic fanfic. Logically, it seems that there would concievably be more than one vessel emmigrating from earth. So, fifth was one of many, which ended up on Terra II...

BakaMattSu, but as I said in my opening, go is most likely something else in meaning...

3. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

One other point against the V would be that,although it's not explicitly mentioned,not all of the colony ships would necessarily be named "Mesopotamia."

------------------
    Inuyasha ha brand sponsor
    no teikyou de
    okuri-shimashita!!

4. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Mesopotamia
    The country between the two rivers (Heb. Aram-naharaim; i.e., "Syria of the two rivers"), the name given by the Greeks and Romans to the region between the Euphrates and the Tigris (Gen. 24:10; Deut. 23:4; Judg. 3:8, 10). In the Old Testament it is mentioned also under the name "Padan-aram;" i.e., the plain of Aram, or Syria (Gen. 25:20). The northern portion of this fertile plateau was the original home of the ancestors of the Hebrews (Gen. 11; Acts 7:2). From this region Isaac obtained his wife Rebecca (Gen. 24:10, 15), and here also Jacob sojourned (28:2-7) and obtained his wives, and here most of his sons were born (35:26; 46:15). The petty, independent tribes of this region, each under its own prince, were warlike, and used chariots in battle. They maintained their independence till after the time of David, when they fell under the dominion of Assyria, and were absorbed into the empire (2 Kings 19:13).
    -www.dicitonary.com

They may have been referring to the Bible for the naming of the ships. Although I still don't see what they mean by the V. Maybe it's just a callsign like Airforce 1, showing that Lorelei is onboard it...

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Darn! This is really gonna nag at me 'til I find a definite answer...I'm leaning against "5" more and more as I think about it...

Okay, there is no doubt where the "Mesopotamia" portion came from... In fact, part of the elegance of Saber Marionette is all of the historical and literature references (Castle Japones, Shogun Ieyasu Tokugawa, Faust)...

To add on the impressive history of Mesopotamian civilization (even though it's off-topic)...They were the first civilization to:

-invent the wheel
    -make a story (Gilgamesh)
    -base number systems on 10 and 60 (decimals, minutes, hours)
    -use writing (cuneiform)
    -use the calender

Back to Topic, "Go", as said, does directly mean "five", but to further bat away the "five", historical references from World War Two suggest otherwise when added as a suffix:

In March, there was a Kamikaze plane defense plan of operations entitled "Ketsu-Go"...(Ketsu, or "excellent")

The "Ten-Go" operation was one of which mass amounts of planes launched kamikaze suicide attacks on the 6th and 7th Days of April in 1945. The mission was clearly understood, as ships were only fueled enough for the trip to the target. Apparently, we're on to something since "ten" can mean "sky"

BakaMattSu, gonna find an answer *somehow*...

6. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

Hey,LadyAoi,you've seen the manga. Maybe you could help us out here.

7. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Quite right. But it still doesn't mean they couldn't have... After all, Mesopotamia was the first great civilization on Earth, so why not the first great civilizations on other planets?

BakaMattSu, irritating irrationalizer...

8. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

Just one more reason why we need to know how it was referred to in the manga...

InuYasha - will this maddening quest never end?

9. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

As if to prove I can steer anything off target.. Speaking of MesoPotamia being between rivers, we get those roots in other words too, think mesolithic (middle stone age)

for Potam being river, think of your hippopotamus, or river horse. Yes, hippo is horse, as in eohippus, or dawn horse. Interestingly, the german word for hippopotamus is Nilpferd, or nile horse. well, back to the topic..

I like Mesopotamia V, just because. And it "ended up at Terra II" how many of the colonists on the other ships named their new planets Terra II I wonder?

Disclaimer: looks like you are all on target with your explanations for go, I just like V [​IMG]

10. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

(Nadesico references come to mind)

They may have given the Mesopotamia the V because it was victorious(V) in finding another place for Humans to live. This doesn't mean that there were 5 Mesopotamia's...and if there were I wonder if they went berserk or malfunctioned.

11. MamiyaOtaru

You'd think humanity would lear about using intelligent spaceships.. I mean as early as 2001 that one sabotaged the Saturn mission [​IMG]

12. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

It's implied that the kind of technical skill with AI prevalent on Terra 2 is still in its infancy when the Mesopotamia sets out on its maiden voyage (pardon the pun). As such,it would appear that,since Lorelei is the leading expert in such matters,only the Mesopotamia was equipped with such a highly advanced computer.

InuYasha - the potential fanfic ideas just keep growing and growing.

[This message has been edited by InuYasha (edited 12-19-2001).]

13. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

At least the Mesopotamia wasn't chronically depressed...

InuYasha - "Brain the size of a planet and they have me opening doors."

14. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

Don't know why I thought of this,but 60 is also used as the basis for measuring degrees in a circle. (360 degrees in a circle,a multiple of 60).

InuYasha - I thought that I was beyond high school geometry...

15. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

On topic again, I have found through my sources that "gou" is the suffix for a foreign ship name...

So I guess "Mesopotamia" could be considered a "foreign" name...

BakaMattSu, there goes another way to refer to the big M....

[This message has been edited by BakaMattSu (edited 12-07-2001).]

16. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

New question for an old topic...

********** SMJ SPOILER *************

I was currently in discussion with someone, and had made the mistake to refer to Messie as "he"... to which my other converser jerked and said, "quite right, but Mesopotamia is a 'she'"...

Has this been made official, or is the Mesopotamia's "gender" still in question?

Arguments for Messie being female:
    -ships are by default referred to as feminine ('thar she blows', 'she's quite a beaut')
    -I've been told Lorelei modeled the ship's personality after herself - making it female

Arguments for Messie being male:
    -The Otome Kairo were developed to complete its instability (thus becoming the eternal lover)
    -Fell in love with Lorelei, a female

Thoughts? Comments? Analysis? Opinions? Chop Suey?
    -BakaMattSu
    ------------------------------------
    Fact: Salt Lake City receives more snow a year than Fairbanks, Alaska

17. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

Re: New question for an old topic...

Actually,it's explicitly stated in the show (around ep. 23-24) that because of the instability of the M's AI program,they were "researching a system that uses [Lorelei's] personality divided into three parts."

This isn't exactly a strong argument for the Mesopotamia being male,though,as human existence has shown it to be quite possible for a female to fall in love with another female.

Actually,now that I think about it,I suspect that the creators intended to encode the Mesopotamia as male. There might be evidence of this in ep. 5 of J to X,but I'd have to go back and look at the episodes to make sure. Even so,my suspicions are probably little more than speculation.

InuYasha - Given that the Mesopotamia is based on Lorelei's personality,and that it fell in love with Lorelei,would that make Lorelei narcissistic?:D :p

18. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

Re: New question for an old topic...

I guess you're just Mess-ing with the Mesopotamia's mind,eh?:D

InuYasha - you are now the victim of a read-by punning

19. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

I was re-reading this board out of boredom,when I came across this gem...

Can you imagine the Ancient Egyptians charging down their opponents hippopotamus-back?:D :D

Yes, let's....

InuYasha - leaving for the airport six hours after this post appears on M2A...

20. MamiyaOtaru

Re: Re: New question for an old topic...

LOL exactly what I was thinking, but was too lazy to post. Glad someone with a little more inclination to post thought of it!