Psychology Mimes.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ashika, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Ashika

Ashika This thing is so short...

Does 'mime'ing have anything to do with phychology? Do mimes just choose not to speak at all, or is it something to do with the mind. Your mind acting out movements or emotions. I just can see anyone just deciding never to talk for the rest of their life and becoming a mime.

But there is a difference between mimes and mutes right?:glazed:

2. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I think that persons who are mute (still don't know if that's the correct term to use) have either never learned to talk, their vocal cords are damaged, or they have witnessed a very traumatic event. This is all just theory/and a bit Freudian - but I think that people can become mute as adults but it would be likely to happen when their children if they witness a traumatic event during the oral stage of development. This might include a parent's death, physical or sexual abuse, etc.

And some people just decide not to talk for either artistic or religious reasons, like mimes, or monks or nuns who take a vow of silence.

3. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

I think miming is considered more of an art form, a way of people to express themselves without words. I don't think all mimes are mute they probably just choose not to talk.

All art forms are different, and each one is usually an example of how the artist is tring to express themselves. Since i'm never really that much into any kind of art form i personally find it hard to understand what soome of these things mean, not just miming but paintings as well. I think if you actually take the time to study it a bit more then its meaning will become more clear to you.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Right on Kain. Miming is just another form of artistic expression, yet 100% through use of facial expression and body movement. If you take drama in high school, you will learn Pantomime. Miming is a form of mimicry, which is expertly done through no talking at all.

Dictionary.com has this def. for Miming:

The art of portraying characters and acting out situations or a narrative by gestures and body movement without the use of words; pantomime.

Mutes could make perfect Mimes, depending on the person I would assume, and how keen your observation skills are, yet you do not need to be mute to be a great Mime, after their gig is over they can just go home, chill and talk again.

A Great Mime is Hard to Come By! Remember, a Mime is a Terrible Thing to Waste.

5. Ashika

Ashika This thing is so short...

I'll make sure not to go out and kill any mimes!
    I guess I only asked the question, because I couldn't see someone giving up talking. I thought how can you express everything with out talking. But I can see how a really good mime, say anything through bodily language. I guess someone who can express theirself like that is a master at communicating.

6. Soitsu

Soitsu Flame Alchemist!

To em seeing a mime in an imaginary box is not as funny as a mime stuck in a real box...:p

And I have a friend who made a kill all idiotic things...one wich is a mime...:anime:

7. Orion

Orion Gears

I guess mimes mean a lot more than I had first assumed. :p I understood that mimes usually wouldn't talk during their acts, but I never really understood why until reading this thread. It's a form of art that's interesting to me. Expression without expressing, interesting. :)

8. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

That was hilarious. :D :D :D

Anyways, It is difficult to understand how one can just take a vow of silence. Speaking becomes one of the greatest points of commucation to some, and just throwing that away....than how does your life turn out? ( I dont mean thrown away, like if it was wasted or something)

Maybe we should see how life is like being a Mime.

1 person likes this.
  9. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

Somepeople beleive that actions speak louder then words and they would rather show how they feel rather then tell you about it.

10. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

Mimes..I don't see the big deal. I mean, People have fears of them like they have fears of clowns but in the end, it's just another person behind the face paint.

11. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

Well, I guess the whole point of this thread is trying to look at the psychological standpoint of how a mime chooses to stay quiet. But perhaps there is more to it. I was thinking that maybe, there is something phychological that occurs in ourselves when and after we choose to keep something in silence. And if so, the mimes would go through it in a much heavier factor than an average person would.