Movies Mod speaking:-

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by *Fabee*, Jun 22, 2002.

1. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

If you saw your posted edited by me, dont worry I didnt re-word it or changed anything in your post. I would only censor some words that are "bad"
    For example a word mispelled so that it wont get censored out .. I've seen alot of these..
    "Think of the children" -- A female character in the Simpson [always wondered wts her name was]

Thank you...

2. Legato

Legato Shakkin Daiou

Will all the "children" please raise your hands?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't everyone on this board 14 or over? who exactly are you protecting? like a 14 year old hasn't heard swearing before....

3. Wolfwood

Wolfwood New Member

The simpsons characters name is Helen Lovejoy, Reverend Lovejoys wife.

So does this mean Tooma has been taking out asse's and fecks?
    I confused

4. Vash

Vash New Member

It's funny how adults are always worried about swearing in front of children. I've seen heaps of adults get upset when other adults swear, or when children swear but the younger people are the less likely they are to be upset.

I think it's fair enough to get upset by swearing, if you feel that it shows a lack of respect on the part of the swearer. That is, they don't respect your feelings enough to restrain the impulse to swear or even that they are deliberately swearing to upset you.

But there is nothing intrinsically harmful in swear words. Most of the 'bad' language we worry about so much actually started out as euphemisms.

5. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

Wolfwood : So does this mean Tooma has been taking out asse's and fecks
    I confused

wait feck means amount, right? so why should I censor it out =S r u trying to fool me ! :mad:

If these words where used to mean something bad. I will censor it out

or if it was mispelled : for example ( fcuk -- and i dont mean the cloth company) I will censor it out

Helen Lovejoy speaking:-
    well I hate when people swear to get their idea clear .. =S or just to seem cool

I just hate swearing, Simple as that.

6. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

What Are Moderators?

Moderators oversee specific forums. They generally have the ability to edit and delete posts, move threads, and perform other manipulations. Becoming a moderator for a specific forum is usually rewarded to users who are particularly helpful and knowledgeable in the subject of the forum they are moderating.

source : vBulletin FAQ

therefore, since the forum is moderated by Tomaa, it's under her jurisdiction...

And yes, some children may come to this site and see these swear words and go up to their parents and ask "hey mommy, what does #$% mean?" and we'll lose members because M2A will be considered a dangerous site for kids, or maybe even blocked by web-blocking programs.

7. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

100% with you ...

Good speech THAT GUY !! *clap- clap* :catgirl:

I will try and help you too ToOmaA even that I couldnt give much help .. but I will do my best for M2A so that my nick discribes it right :-

M2A FREEEK !!!

Cool, ne ? :D

And I am sorry too guys if you found that I edited some of your posts .. :(

I was gonna do that since I became a mod .. but I am lazy :dizzy2: .. what should I do :p ??

8. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I'd just like to remind you that these are public boards, Legato, and as such, are open for anyone to read regardless of membership status, age, gender, race, etc, etc.

Maybe Guy was a little off-centered when starting this discussion, but we should be thinking of everyone in general, not just children.

You may find it easy to tolerate rude behavior or unmentional curses, but it is not such the case with everyone. Thus, out of consideration for everyone, you are asked to act responsibly, as you would be expected of in any public place.

This may seem somewhat restrictive, but the community as a whole is represented by every individual on the boards, and poor behavior reflects an image we don't particularly want associated with Mangatoanime.

Origins and Variations aside, they are still generally offensive to most. Therefore, please try to keep things clean, okay?

9. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

Well, I once heard a guy say "Never trust a man who doesn't curse." He wasn't a particularily wise man. But he was funny. I think. I can't remember who it was. Maybe they weren't actualy. Cursing doesn't bother me in the least, as most of the people I chat with could probably tell you. But censorship like this is probably here for a reason. So in closing, does this reply have a point? No. But it's too long for spam. So...

10. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

some people are just that way. they don't like cursing. a guy i know once told me to replace the word with it's meaning like the "f" word...take the phrase: you dirty F%^&er. now replace and you get: you dirty sexer. doesn't that sound kinda dumb? now, lep and kamekazi have seen me in the chat room, so i shouldn't talk, but sometimes cursing makes you look like a fool. and i may have been out cussed by 3rd graders before, but parents don't like to knowingly allow the kids or friends access to sites with that stuff on it. like was said, we don't want the site blocked on puters because of adult language. toOma is kinda helping by getting the words in her forum that the silly bot thingie can't get cause they were misspelled and the such. simply put, she's doing her job. so don't shoot the messanger. i hate that. i've worked in retail enough to know that it doesn't help anything at all.

11. Vash

Vash New Member

Explanation accepted

Although I'm a big fan of freedom of speech, and cling to my belief that there are a whole lot of things in the world that people should be getting excited about other than swearing, I find Toomaa's and Ano Hito's and BakaMattSu's rationale for regulating the language used on m2a completely reasonable. I am persuaded.

After all, I don't swear in front of all of my friends, and I don't swear much at work. I did mutter 'for ****'s sake' under my breath once at a dispatcher who was being monumentally obstructive and got carpeted for it! They use my name in place of f*** now.