Debate Mom sues myspace for $30 million

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yossarian, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

2. Seishin

Seishin Guest

If you're trying to meet with people over the internet, ya need to be more careful, though it's understandable.

-Seishin

3. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

This is a case of greed brought on by a tragic event. This is yet another incident of a bad, lazy parent passing the buck on responsibility of their children. I'll keep this short and simple-

THE RESPONSIBILITY OF PROTECTING CHILDREN FROM CHILD PREDATORS SHOULD NOT BE PLACED UPON THE SHOULDERS OF MY SPACE. THE CHILDREN BELONG TO THIER PARENTS WHO ARE ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE FOR THIER CARE AND WELFARE.

If you're not going to take the time to monitor and your children and observe who they are and are not talking to on the internet, then be prepared when they begin to meet unsavory people right under your nose.

This news article says volumes about the woman pressing the charges. She wasn't taking the time or responsibility to observe what her child was doing on the web. Now she's embarrassed and outraged at what happened and rather than come to terms with her own faults she has decided to place the blame upon another company. It's easier to blame another than take responsibility yourself. The 30 Million she's suing for is bogus as well. There's no reason she should be awarded 30 million for her own lack of responsibility. If she were serious about this then she would only be suing the company to change their online registration policies. If that were the case I wouldn't be this riled up. It shows she's at least got semi-good intentions. Instead she's trying to make money off of her child's incident- which, in a word, is Bullsh*t.

I can guarantee you she's not going to distribute the money amongst other victims of childhood predators on My Space.

This woman is irresponsible and vile. Yet another case of lazy Baby Boomers trying to pass their own faults and inequities onto the shoulders of society. If you really cared about your children you would do everything in your power to protect them from such people, not file a lawsuit for money from a third party. When are these spoiled, idiotic parents going to finally man up and take responsibility for their children and their own actions?

~W

4. Fudge_Monkeys

Fudge_Monkeys www.boards.jp

Man i hate people who sue just for cash it ticks me off
    Anyways the cop guy at my school has usual classes with us he said hes has incidents where people have my spaces and random people will find info on them and go to their hosue

5. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I can see a point here though. The mom is mad about how she met the man. She wouldn't have sexually assaulted if she never met him.

Sorry but that is lawyer in me.

But it is a bunch of BS. Myspace even has a clause for crap like this. But she will probably win anyway. *sighs*

6. Cherrygirl

Cherrygirl Cherrylicious!

Oh Nozorz! Teh intarweb faild to pertect and raize my baby!!1!1one

Don't get me wrong, Child predators are nothing to brush off, but a little advice to Mrs Mom:

How about instead of suing myspace, you get off your greedy butt and join one of the many organizations out there who go out and STOP these child predators hummm?? here's one for you http://www.weron2u.ca/ oh no wait never mind, you'd much rather have 30 million dollars as opposed to helping stop this from happening to another child...maybe you should monitor what your kid is doing...did this happen over night? Me thinks not...

BAH

1 person likes this.
  7. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

Ya, know If blame is to be thrown anywhere, it should be on the mother and daughter. Don't get me wrong sexual assults and so on are horriable,but precisly what makes you go meet a person you don't know jack sh*t about and have none of your friends with you as well, thats on the daughter's part of ignorance.

On the mother, I can only give an image of how intellegent she appears to be by her statements and her parenting skills http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/5450/11453241374040jz.jpg

Take up for where it's your part and continue on. Truly I would rather see the mother hit in the head with a metal baseball bat but ya know..thats me >.>

1 person likes this.
  8. Yukiko

Yukiko New Member

Well she probably shouldnt have sued... and the kid really was being stupid and should have been more careful. But when your kid is sexually assaulted you get kinda tick off and freak out (putting it lightly...) and you want someone to blame. You want to punch someone really really really really hard. Even if they really arent at fault. Sueing for 30 million dollars is just her way of punching someone. Im not saying thats the best way.. but im saying thats her way. Before you get mad at her... think about how she feels.

Now what she should really be doing is taking that guy to court. Not MySpace.

1 person likes this.
  9. Cherrygirl

John Walsh's son was brutally murdered...What did he do? He started America's Most Wanted. They have captured 895 criminals to date. That is doing something.

10. Yukiko

Yukiko New Member

Yes... but some of you are saying the moms is totally at fault, the kid is totally at fault... and theyre so stupid. She is DOing something.. just the wrong thing.

11. Cherrygirl

Is this a terrible thing that happened? Yes. Did they deserve this to happen to them? Of cource not. Is it ok to do something dumb just because something bad has happened to you? No.

Of cource this isn't completely their fault but this is something that could have been easily prevented. Educating your child about the dangers of the internet is not as hard to do now a days seeing as how this sort of thing happens all the time (sadly). I have seen so many programs on TV about child predators and the people who dedicate their lives to stopping them that I dont know how you couldn't know about it.

My example of John Walsh was to prove that just because something terrible has happened to you doesn't mean that grief and anger has to get the best of you. Just because something bad has happened to you doesnt mean that you CANT do something to prevent more terrible things from happening to others.

I am not mad at this woman for being angry about her child being sexually assaulted. That is something NO parent should have to deal with. I am mad that she is choosing to sue an internet site that was not the root of the problem to begin with. If that site had restrictions, her daughter would have gone to another one. She's addressing one piece of the puzzle when she needs to go back to the root of the problem and start there.

Heck, maybe she wants 30 million to start her own foundation, but given her reasons for suing, what are the chances of that?

12. Yukiko

Yukiko New Member

That i agree with you.. when did i say that suing to 30 million dollars was a good thing! What i said was.. she is doing something... not the right thing. She shouldnt be suing MySpace... what the heck is MySpace going to say... "Sorry kid you cant see that guy.." like she is going to listen. No what im saying is that her reasons arent wrong... what shes doing is. I completely agree that she shouldnt be suing MySpace. But she shouldnt be going nothing.

13. Cherrygirl

Easy, I never accused you of saying it was a good thing nor am I saying she should be doing nothing. I'm addressing the fact that she is not free of blame in this situation and that bad events happening are no excuse for stupidity. I have given examples and reason of what she SHOULD be doing. I never said she should be doing nothing. O Contrare.

I have tried to make it clear in my posts that I think she is dumb for her actions, not for feeling the way she does about her child being assaulted. I am not questioning that you think her actions are wrong.

14. Yukiko

Yukiko New Member

She wasnt dumb she was overreacting... she wasnt think what she was doing through. And your not accusing me of anything, true... but your trying to get me to agree with you about the fact that she should have sued, which i already agree with. Or i may be misunderstanding what your trying to say.

15. Cherrygirl

Not knowong what your kid is doing, not educating them and/or properly reinforcing them about the dangers of the internet and then blaming someone else for the reprocussions and not taking any responsibility sounds pretty dumb to me.

I believe there is no logical reaon why she chose to sue myspace. I'm not trying to force you to believe my opinions, I'm simply showing you why I believe what I believe and if you choose not to believe them yourself, then that is your choice.

16. Yukiko

Yukiko New Member

How do you know she knew her kid was seeing someone from an online site? How do you know she didnt educate her kid about the dangers of the net? Your making accusation on the fact that those things are true.. for all you knew they may not be. But yes.. there was not logical reason to sue MySpace... If people choose to meet, its not MySpaces problem..

17. Cherrygirl

How could she NOT know what her daughter was doing? This isn't something that happens in the blink of an eye. Not knowing proves she doesnt monitor her kid well enough therefore proving my point, knowing and not doing anything proves she didnt care her daughter was seeing a 19 year old also proving my point. Don't you think a 14 year old should know better than to meet a 19 year old man by herself? doesn't that imply that either no one taught her properly or she is also dumb herself?

18. Yukiko

Yukiko New Member

She probably knew that the kid was on MySpace... but i doubt she knew that she was going to see some 19 year old guy.. Your now saying that the mother said.. go ahead and see this guy? I highly doubt that. She lets her daughter go out.. maybe not even knowing she was going to see this guy. Maybe thinking she weas going to see a friend, and then this happens. TH daughter is stupid... yes. The girl should have known better.. yes. Is that the mothers fault.. partly yes. Is the MySpace fault.. not at all. So no the mother shouldnt have sued, but she isnt totally at fault. And even if she could have made the dont see strangers part more clear... there is only so much you can say.

19. Cherrygirl

I NEVER said she told her kid to go right on ahead see this guy, I'm saying that IF she knew that her daughter was getting friendly with a guy on the internet and DID NOTHING then that implys she herself didnt think anything bad would happen therefore proving shes not the brightest candle on the cake.

I already said before its not her fault alone but it is largely her fault. I will say this again, the fact is simple she COULD have prevented it. She CHOSE to blame an internet site SOLEY for what has happened and THAT makes her not so bright! Like mentioned before, a parent is LEGALLY responsible for any of their children that are UNDER 18 which makes it her responsability not myspaces at all whcih makes her choice to sue myspace stupid and hints that she herself isnt so smart (and yes I know you believe it isn't myspaces fault aswell).

No kid is perfect at lying to their parents, if you look hard enough you can spot the clues.

20. Yukiko

Yukiko New Member

Yesd thats true. And what im saying is that she shouldnt have done what she did... but shes not dumb. If she should be suing anyone its the guy.