More History Lessons Wanted: Shinsengumi

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by BakaMattSu, Sep 21, 2001.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Hey That guy!, you seem on the ball when it comes to linking real history back to Kenshin...

What kind of dirt can you dig up on Okita, the first leader of the Shinsen? He was the 1st Captain in the series, if memory serves me right, and died of tuberculosis...

BakaMattSu, 179821th Captain of the Shinsengumi...

2. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

BMS: I'm just learning...and kinda posting from sites I find about historic stuff. Although this Japanese History book I found lying around my house is pretty interesting too.

Probably the best-known and popular Shinsengumi figure. Another handsome total knockout, besides being a child prodigy at kenjutsu - he joined Kondou's dojo at 9, and was an accomplished swordsman at 15 or so. Former name Soujirou, (yes, it's true!) the sword he used is the one used by Soujirou in his last battle with Kenshin, the Kikuichi Norimune, length 2'4"2.

Strongest swordsman in the Shinsengumi, he yields a katana, bokken and shinai equally well. Famous for his "3-piece thrust" - 3 thrusts delivered so quickly at the opponent, usually at the neck and the right and left shoulders. Like Saito, this technique was improvised from the one invented by Hijikata.

Tragedy struck, though, for Okita contracted Tuberculosis, an incurable diseasein those times, shortly after the formation of the Shinsengumi. He coughed up blood several times, though he would not let the others know. During the Ikeda-ya affair, however, his situation suddenly spiralled down (perhaps because of the cold night and the vicious battle), and fainted after he coughed up a shocking amount of blood. It was then that Kondou and Hijikata knew of his disease, and even by then the doctor had already predicted that he would not live long. Both were distressed over this, for they were like elder brothers to Okita (did I mention that Kondou was 10 years Okita's senior, and Hijikata 9?). However, all 3 agreed that news of Okita's disease should not be widely known, lest it dragged down the members' morale.

After the Boshin war, Okita went into a tuberculosis hospital in Edo. He passed away on 30/5/1868, First year of Meiji, aged 25.
    -Written by Tracy Lim

I should e-mail Tracy sometimes, it seems she knows a lot of Japanese history stuff.

check out her Japanese History vs. Rurouni Kenshin archive @ http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Pagoda/5770/history.htm

If you want to e-mail her sometimes, here ya go: liantze@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by That guy! (edited 09-21-2001).]

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

It gives history an interesting shine to have portrayl of historic figures in entertainment, doesn't it?

Thanx for the site, it is quite complete...and the author is to be full credited as well!

BakaMattSu, still behind on his history...

4. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

Okita is a famous figure although some of his information is obscured.

Okita was born Okita Soujirou Fujiwara no Harumasa in the early 1840's to a samurai family. His father, Okita Katsujiro died in 1845, and his oldest sister Okita Mitsu was adopted by Kondo Shusuke. Kondo was the third head of the Tennen Rishin Ryu Dojo and had already taken Shimazaki Katsuta *Kondo Isami) to be his sucessor. Soujirou began to train there and proved to be a prodigy and was awarded the Menkyo Kaiden status at the young age of 18. In 1861 he became the Jukutou for the Shieikan.

in 1863 he changed his name to Okita Soujirou Fujiwara no Kaneyoshi. He was a founding member of the Shinsengumi and assistant to the Vice Commander. He took part in both the killing of Serizawa Kamo and also took part in the Ikedaya Affair, both which were prominent happenings within the Shinsengumi. Its unsure if Okita contracted Tuberculosis before or after the Ikedaya but both are possibilities. in 1865 he became the Ichibantai Kumichou, or first unit captain. Later in that year Kondo Isami named him the fifth Shihan of the Shieikan.

During the Boshin War after Toba Fushimi Okita went to a Hospital in Edo. He latered moved to the guesthouse of his elder sister and her husband. When the Shinsengumi retreated, Okita remained in Edo where he died on July 19th 1868. He was buried at his family's temple in Edo. The Okita family temple is closed to the public and Okita's grave remains undesturbed by the public.