more info about the show!

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Marie-chan, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Marie-chan

Marie-chan New Member

im marie & i would like to find more about rurouni kenshin. he acts alot like inuyasha =) so help me! thanks marie

2. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

ok u wanna know more. ok well first off. Himura Kenshin is a wandering samurai. Rurouni is a fictional word that Watsuki(the creator) made up. anyway the sword he carries is called the sakabatou. lit. the kanji for saka=reveresed ba= sound changed on the word ha which means edge tou= sword. He fights using the Kenjutsu style known as Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuu. (Flying Heavens Honorable Sword Flow.) He was once known as Hitokiri Battousai (kanji for hito=man kiri=cut. Battou=draw as in drawing a sword sai is er help anyone? ^^;;;) anyway to atone for his sins as Battousai he wanders the country protecting people from harm.

he ends up staying at the Kamiya Kasshin Ryuu Dojo. There he meets the Acting Master Kamiya Kaoru. Her father opened the Dojo under the motto the sword that protects life. however as a member of the sword bearing police he took part in the Southwest war and died in a world far from his vision. Kaoru although only 17 is a master at Kamiya Kasshin Ryuu and calls herself the beautiful Kendo instructor. he nicknames are jut plain Kaoru by Yahiko, Jo-chan by Sano, Kaoru-dono by Kenshin.

he also meets the street fighter Zanza his real name is Sagara Sanosuke. actually his real name is Higashidani Sanosuke. hes the eldest son of a peasent farmer. when he was nine he left his family to become part of the Sekihoutai. But after witnessing the death of his idol Sagara Souzou, he began to fight and fight to get rid of the memories from the Sekihoutai. Actually the Sekihoutai were a real group that were commishoned by the Ishin Shishi to tell the farmers that the taxes would be cut in half but it was just a plan to get the peasents to side with the Ishins. after that was accomplished the Ishin Shishi killed off the entire sekihoutai. Sano watched his idol be killed at their hands which is why he accepts Gohei's job to assasinate Kenshin. anyway Sano fights with a Zanbatou which is a huge steel sword used to kill horseman but being so heavy they stopped using them. whether there real or not i cant say. being a street fighter he has incredible stamina and can swing the heavy zanbatou with one hand.

He meets Myojin Yahiko the son of a lower class Samurai who died protesting the government. and his mother had to work in the pleasure quaters to keep him feed but eventually got sick and died. taken in by a group of Yakuza (gangsters) they told him that his father had a debt with them and he had to pay it off. but he had already payed is off and they were still saying he had more just as an excuse to keep him around. he wants to be stronger and eventually ends up as Kaoru's Student.

Takani Megumi is a doctor in training. Born into the prestegious Takani family she is naturally gifted with medicine. however when she apprenticships to a doctor making opium for a twisted business man named Takeda Kanryuu she ends up making his opium after he kill he kills the doctor. Kenshin frees her and she hangs out with the Group for quite sometime quite to the dismay of Kaoru.

if u want a total spoiler of the series just tell me im a complete RK dictionary ^^;;; atleast thats what my friends call me ^^;;; if u want to know more just post it here and ill tell you more or if u want to email me thats kewl. and take a look around at the post here already lots of people put up a ton of stuff and i put up a post under kenshins best technic that outlines all his techniques

3. Hitokiri_Gensai

actually here ill repost my post from the thread Kenshins BEst Technic

There are quite a few techniques in the Hiten Mitsrugi School of Kenjutsu. Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuu means Heavens Honorable Sword Flow. first off most of the Hiten School is based off of the technique called Battou Jutsu, today its called Iai Jutsu or Iaido. Iai/Battou means draw and do means the way in which you learn. jutsu means technique.and ill also lay out the basics of the Japanese Sword.

The Nihontou (Nihon=Japan/Japanese Tou=Sword)
    The japanese sword originated in the Nara Period (646-794 A.D.). Actually the first truely Japanese Sword orginated then before that swords were imported from China and had chinese koshirae (Fittings). The japanese sword was made with grace and elagance but also practicality. first of all its made with a curve away from the edge making it so that the swordman could draw and strike all in one fluid motion. With English Broad swords and many other straight swords of the period it was very hard to draw fast and strike like the katana. Although many arts used straight bladed swords to amazingly fast martial arts like Tai Chi. Also most swords were forged so that the edge could take a razor sharoness and hold it where as the mune or back of the sword was soft so that it could bend and not break. therefore they are considered the best swords ever made because of these factors. also in English fencing the sword is built to stab were as the katana was meant as a slashing sword and could easily cut bamboo in one cut if dont properly. now for parts of the japanese sword. The tip of the blade is called the "kissaki". The Sharp edge is called the "ha". The back edges is called the "mune". The wavy design on the ha is called the "hamon" and is a temper mark. The blade is measured from the Kissaki to the mune machi which is where the blade ends and the "nakago" or the tang begins. the "sori" is the depth of the curve. ive said this in my other post and ill say it in this one. the Sakabatou is not a possible sword. you cannot have a springy front and a hard back because the sword will just break. also in Kenshin Episode 11 or manga 4 Kenshin grabs the sakabatou on the blade and uses it to counter Aoshi's speed with his Kodachi however had it been a regular katana that would have worked because when he would strike the edge would be facing Aoshi's sword and not have hurt Kenshin's hand however with a sakabatou the shock of the two swords meeting would have severed Kenshins thumb and part of his palm totally off.

Now with that in mind ill try to outline all of kenshins techniques. First you have the basics

Ryuu Tsui Sen
    the user jumps into the air, at the peak of the jump (the point at which there is no air or gravity resistence, the user reverses postions so that the sword is held with one hand stretched downward and the other other hand grasping the handle of the sword behind the tsuba (hand gaurd) kissaki point toward into the air. then just before contact both hands are placed on the handle and it delivers a crushing blow to the head or shoulders. Now in Kenjutsu most school taught very little about defending from an ariel attack so therefore the Ryuu Tsui Sen is a very useful move.

Ryuu Tsui Sen-Zan a dirivitive of the original Ryuu Tsui Sen basicly instead of a downward slash it is a downward stab kissaki(blade tip) first.

Ryuu Shou Sen
    The user grasps the handle at the end and using the other hand places it on the mune (back edge of the blade) so that the sharp edge is facing up. Then jumping or thrusting with the help of the left hand the sword is thrust at the target. again this is a very useful move because of the swiftness and the fact that it's an effective anti air move.

Sou Ryuu Sen
    The Sou Ryuu Sen if a nidan battou jutsu (a second level battou jutsu) Holding the katana in the scabbard in a traditional Battou Jutsu stance (a traditional Battou Jutsu stance would be with the Right leg forward and crouching back on the left leg sword in the left hand with the blade pushed out just past the friction point and the right hand out or on the handle. now when drawn theres a possibility that you'll miss therefore instead of leaving youself totally open you swing the saya forward and strike with it. again this is a very useful move although if you were skilled enough chances are you wouldnt miss the primary strike.

Sou Ryuu Sen-Ikatsuchi
    this is also a dirivitive in which you lead with the saya using it as more of a distraction while landing the blow with the katana.

Hi (pronounced hee) Ryuu Sen
    this is a left handed battou jutsu. its used as more of a suprise attack than anything else. Spinning in the to the left the user then slams his thumb into the tsuba (hand gaurd) and propels the sword at his/her opponent.

Ryuu Kan Sen
    this move is a split second reaction move. When attacked the user block the opponents sword and spins to the right while moving toward the opponents back. Then the katana is brought around and slams into the base of the opponents neck. Very Lethal with a real sword.

Ryuu Kan Sen-Tsumuji
    here the user jumps into the attack and swing around to strike the base of the neck.

Ryuu Kan Sen-Arashi
    the user spins into a ball sword stretched out to strike the opponent

Ryuu Kan Sen-Kogarashi
    standing in behind the opponent the user spins infront to strike in the neck.

Ryuu Sou Sen
    a primitive form of the Kuzu Ryuu Sen (see bottom) this move basically strikes the nine vital points of the body many times at high speed.

Ryuu Sou Sen-Garami
    this move like the Ryuu Sou Sen strikes many time at high speeds but focuses on one point.

Dou Ryuu Sen
    this move has the user slice his or her sword very fast near the ground the movement of the sword will draw up rocks and hurl them at the opponent.

Kuzu Ryuu Sen
    this is the first of the two ougis(succesions techniques) of the HIten Mitsurugi school. this move hits the nine vital points of the body all at once. only the Ama Kakeru Ryuu no Hirameki can defend against this.

Ama Kakeru Ryuu no Hirameki
    This is the ultamite God Speeded Battou Jutsu. Only One who is not afraid of Death can master this technique. The Master uses the Kuzu Ryuu Sen against the user. Then the user goes into a normal Battou Jutsu Stance. Then leading with the left leg (this is highly unusual because the battou jutsu technique is taught to use the right leg to avoid being cut on the draw) the user slashes out. The force of the Blade seperates the air and draws things into it to fill the void. Then Pivoting on the left leg the user again slashes. The master usually dies in the teaching of this technique. Hiko Seijurou is an exception to this, as Kenshin uses the Sakabatou Shin Uchi(saka=reversed ba=sound change on the word "ha" which means edge tou=sword Shin Uchi=Holy Blade*.
    *when one makes a unique sword often times there are a couple copies of the blade made. The cheaper ones are sold off or given away and the master copy or the Holy sword is often dedicated to a shrine.

Rai Ryuu Sen
    a technique specially made by Amakusa Shougo. it reflects the sun or moon light off his katana into his opponents eyes blinding them.

And yes i am a aboslute Rurouni Kenshin Otaku and WAYYYYYYYY too much time on my hands ^^x;;;;;;;

oh yeah before i forget the 9 vital points on the body are

karatake
    Head

Kesa Giri
    Left Shoulder

Saka Gesa
    Right Shoulder

Tsuki
    Chest

Hidari Nagi
    Left Arm

Migi Nagi
    Right Arm

Hidari Kiri Age
    Left Waist

Migi Kiri Age
    Right Waist

Saka Kaze
    Between The Legs

no matter what style of Kenjutsu you study these will be the 9 vital points on the body
    the Ryuu Sou Sen focuses on hitting all 9 points at high speed where as the Ku Zu Ryuu Sen (9 headed Dragon Flash) hits all 9 points all at once

4. wolf_of_mibu

wolf_of_mibu New Member

Whoa. That's informative. ;) I think I learned a few new stuff myself. Thanks, Hitokiri_Gensai.

5. Hitokiri_Gensai

*bows* its quite alright if u want to know more just ask... ^^x

6. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I'd say that Sano acts more like Inuyasha than Kenshin, well maybe a mix between Sano and Yahiko... Thanks for all the info Gensai :)

7. Kenshin Himura

Kenshin Himura New Member

Kenshin Is my favorite character of all![​IMG]

8. Hitokiri_Gensai

quite welcome. *bows* kenshins has his own personality its pretty much unlike anyone elses Inu Yasha has a tendency to care nothing about anyone but himself where as Kenshin only cares about other people.