Movies Movie Review: "The Cave"

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by luvweaver, Mar 9, 2006.

1. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Reviewed by: Luvweaver

OK guys, after watching the horror (in the quality sense of the word) that was "The Descent", i have to say that "The Cave" is a hundred times better :)

I was a *little bit* disappointed, but the ending was worth it. Just an advance: It's an Eeeeeeeeeeevil ending :cool: :D

And this is good, because all horror movies should have evil endings. Or at least endings that have us satisfied (like "Aliens 2")

OK this is what the movie is about:

a few years ago, there was an expedition about an old cave. There was a local legend saying some knights entered that cave to fight winged demons. According to the legend, the knights were defeated, and the cave had to be sealed with the power of God - this is why there was a church in there.

The guys in the expedition entered the cave, but the detonation they used to open it ended up in a collapse of the whole cave, and the mountains above it, so they were buried inside.

Today, the best underwater cave explorers were called to explore the cave. It's a miles-deep underwater cavernous system. The team explores, but one of the team got attacked by *something* and died because his oxygen tank exploded. Well, there was no way back so they had to explore the cave to find the other exit.

As they explore the dark cave, more people get attacked by unknown predators (that later are found to be the "winged demons" the legend talked about), so they have to run away and survive.

Oh, without mentioning that the first person who got attacked and survived, is now mutating due to some microscopic parasite. So we fear that he might become one of those "demons" if too much time passes.

---

Onto the review.

It was cool. Not quite a horror movie, but it was entertaining enough. This whole "guy mutating into who knows what" business kept me excited and I wanted to see if he ended up becoming something not human. To my disappointment, he didn't :( But it was cool because he provided a great help to the team, somewhat like Ripley in Alien 4.

A thing I didn't like was that this thing that made him mutate, was called a "parasite". They said that the "parasite" helped the host mutate so both could survive in the environment. But that's not a parasite, that's a symbiote. A parasite survives AT THE EXPENSE of the host (like the Aliens), but here it was a perfect case of the organisms helping each other survive, so it's a minus one for inaccuracy.

The movie was fast-paced, so there wasn't a single boring moment.

Another thing was that some parts of the movie got me tense and i clenched my fists hoping that they would make it before the monsters got them. So it's a plus 0.5 for excitement. Too bad this tension is very mild, and it doesn't get anywhere near the Alien movies.

The veredict:

Overall it's a nice movie to watch with your kids. I give it a 7.