Debate Mozart or Beethoven?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by coldzero, Jul 2, 2004.

1. coldzero

coldzero New Member

In the music history there are two very well known people-mozart and beethoven but to you who was better at creating music, who contributed more to the world?
    I vote for Mozart because he did wrote over 600 compositions and Beethoven only wrote about 150 compositions. And i say he had a more difficult life than Beethoven-just look at how he died, he got thrown into a pit with other dead people and his body was never found while Beethoven had a crowd who gather as his funeral.

2. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

Doesn't that mean that Mozart had a harder death than Beethoven?

Mozart and Beethoven both had hard lives. Mozart's father forced him to learn to play the Piano, and Beethoven turned deaf in his thirties...

I don't see why one has to be better than the other. I think both made fantastic contributions to the world of music.

So I think Mozart and Beethoven are equally great.

--MT

3. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

Heh, seconded.

But I have to say I value Mozarts music slightly over Beethovens.

1 person likes this.
  4. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

i like them both. i cannot choose one as both are exceptionally good composers. however i think that Mozart is more famous.

5. coldzero

coldzero New Member

maybe i should have said you were suppose to choose one of them.
    It wasn't Mozart's father that forced him to learn teh piano it was Beethoven father that forecd him.

6. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

Actually, I did some research, and it was both of them. So that means Beethoven had a hard life too. Mozart's father saw a cashcow and took he and his sister on tour, while Beethoven's father wanted to exploit him (he was unsuccessful).

What I'm saying is that I don't want to choose one.

--MT

7. Dante

Dante New Member

Actually... no, you should NOT have told them to choose only one, because you have no right to tell people what their opinions can and can't be. :p You did all that you had the right to do, which was to suggest the two basis of the discussion. You should allow people to draw their own conclusions and opinions.

Secondly, I find your reasons for choosing a better composer positively absurd. So what if Mozart had a "harder life" than Beethoven? That's like saying Kurt Cobain was better than Jimi Hendrix because Kurt Cobain had his head blown off with a shotgun while Jimi Hendrix just drowned in his own vomit.

And the number of musical compositions could easily mean little to nothing. That'd be like saying Bruce Springsteen is better than Elvis Presley because Bruce Springsteen wrote more songs (and is still kicking). Remember, quality over quantity.

I think you need to straighten out your priorities.

Furthermore, I think this really has no place in Debates. If anything, it'll turn into a popularity contest. I suggest this be moved to a more appropriate Forum; Music.

8. Fushigi Rockna

While i don't think either is better than the other, i personally like Beethoven's music more, simply because, it's more darker and not as happy as Mozart's, which i like more. :p

And I suppose the one that contributed more would be Beethoven as well...way back, i used to hear beethoven's music like everywhere o_O like in my music booklets when we were taking up recorder grades 4 to 6. A lot of the stuff we played was beethoven, i think we only played...one Mozart song. (yeah, we had recorder versions of those songs) And i think more people can name more Beethoven songs than Mozart ones, (well, people who aren't professionals in music and know all the names by heart) i think anyone could hum "ode to Joy" or Beethoven's "5th Symphany" (sp?) i cna't anymore because i haven't heard it in a long time, but i used to be able to... X(

But that's my opinion anyways. Both are great composers, neither is better than the other. (It just seems one is more popular)

9. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

I like mozart more since i have studied him alot while playing violin.

I also like the fact that when you listen to Mozart it makes you think differently and you learn and remember things, which really helps you to remember stuff more clearly.

Also just for kicks the guy who playes mozart in ammedeus (tom hulce) is super sexy fine!

1 person likes this.
  10. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

*snickers* I hesitate to add this since I realize it's completely irrational, but I don't know a thing about Beetoven other then the fact that he was a deaf composer (I actually don't know much about Mozart either other then what I learned in Amadeus (sp?) which is pretty much that he was a perverted musical genius with an uber-creepy laugh).

So of course I'm going with Mozart ;)