musical technologies; sample, analog, acoustic, digital etc.

Discussion in 'Tomita' started by monkeydrums at hotmail.co, Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is always an interesting topic and is prone to oversimplification.

A good perspective I take on it also includes acoustic instruments as well.Being Tomita fans you have surely been frustrated to at times hear peoplesay electronic music is somehow not real music and only acoustic music canbe expressive, emotional etc. My general philosophy on this also lends tothe analog synth vs. sample discussion.

My philosophy is something along these lines...

Any given instrument or musical technology comes with it's own strengths, weaknesses and possibilities. Some are also nearly impossible to make musicon at all without a lot of work or proficiency (oboe, theremin, clarinet (SQUEAK!), violin etc...) while some are seemingly a lot more forgiving of mediocrity or lack of proficiency (a sampler, xylophone perhaps...).

Still, it is nearly always possible to use ANY technology masterfully and with proficiency, though with some types, it's just more of a rare or an extremely rare thing to have happen.

Since some technologies come with a much easier temptation and capability to "cut corners", we tend to see a lot more mediocre music coming from those.

Another way to say it... we may have a lot more quality expressive music from acoustic sources than electronic, but it is still just as possible to be expressive using electronic instruments if the artist is indeed a master...

Same with the patch analog synth vs. the sampler.

I do love that Tomita uses many available technologies (was surprised and happy to discover the sitar was acoustic in Firebird and that the vocal on Venus was Tomita's own voice).

I think the ultimate master may choose to and be able to use samplers, acoustic, vocal, analog, digital, physical modeling etc. all for their exact strengths and push them all to their limits, combine them with taste and intelligent discretion but without any fear/social based boundaries.

Of course it's also cool for an artist to stay within very technologically narrow boundaries just to show what is possible therein.

Each kind of technology can do really wonderful things that no other technology can do as well or at all.

I think Tomita is a visionary master of analog synthesis but unfortunately chose to not quite get as involved in programming with the samplers etc. I'd bet he could have with the same mastery! But I guess he chose not to put the efforts there specifically for whatever reasons. We all must allocate our limited time and mental focus. But his innovation and "bravery" in bringing us art that is fresh and new is of immense worth.

I love the music Tomita has created and, as some of you have expressed... especially love the earlier, more modular analog works.

When I was quite young, my dad bought "Pictures at an Exhibition" thinking it was an orchestral version. I was captivated immediately, wore the tape out and began searching for more of Tomita's music. Thus, I grew up on it from a young age and have been very much influenced by it in my own musicalendeavors and choices.

Mark Steiner
    www.marksteinermusic.com

2. My point of view, into the analog vs sample technology was about the way Tomita uses is. The way tomita uses digital synthesis or samples is totally uninteresting to me. The way he uses it generates flat sounds. But it is true that the sounds from the French film score "Malevil", only made with a Fairlight, is very astonishing, as well as Erdenklang's ones. To me, there isn't either uninteresting instruments. Only uninteresting use of it. And I repeat the Tomita's genius appears more clearly in his analog synth releases.

I'm surprised to read it is Tomita's own voice in "Venus". It sounds like awoman voice ! But I must admit I never heared Tomita speaking. And in "Bermuda", the piece "Vocoder" is only made of electronic "whispers". So, difficult to make one's idea about it...
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: isaotomita at yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Friday, August 08, 2003 2:17 PM
    Subject: [isaotomita] musical technologies; sample, analog, acoustic, digital etc...

This is always an interesting topic and is prone to oversimplification.

A good perspective I take on it also includes acoustic instruments as well. Being Tomita fans you have surely been frustrated to at times hear people say electronic music is somehow not real music and only acoustic music can be expressive, emotional etc. My general philosophy on this also lends to the analog synth vs. sample discussion.

My philosophy is something along these lines...

Any given instrument or musical technology comes with it's own strengths,weaknesses and possibilities. Some are also nearly impossible to make music on at all without a lot of work or proficiency (oboe, theremin, clarinet(SQUEAK!), violin etc...) while some are seemingly a lot more forgiving of mediocrity or lack of proficiency (a sampler, xylophone perhaps...).

Still, it is nearly always possible to use ANY technology masterfully andwith proficiency, though with some types, it's just more of a rare or an extremely rare thing to have happen.

Since some technologies come with a much easier temptation and capabilityto "cut corners", we tend to see a lot more mediocre music coming from those.

Another way to say it... we may have a lot more quality expressive musicfrom acoustic sources than electronic, but it is still just as possible tobe expressive using electronic instruments if the artist is indeed a master...

Same with the patch analog synth vs. the sampler.

I do love that Tomita uses many available technologies (was surprised andhappy to discover the sitar was acoustic in Firebird and that the vocal onVenus was Tomita's own voice).

I think the ultimate master may choose to and be able to use samplers, acoustic, vocal, analog, digital, physical modeling etc. all for their exact strengths and push them all to their limits, combine them with taste and intelligent discretion but without any fear/social based boundaries.

Of course it's also cool for an artist to stay within very technologically narrow boundaries just to show what is possible therein.

Each kind of technology can do really wonderful things that no other technology can do as well or at all.

I think Tomita is a visionary master of analog synthesis but unfortunately chose to not quite get as involved in programming with the samplers etc. I'd bet he could have with the same mastery! But I guess he chose not to put the efforts there specifically for whatever reasons. We all must allocate our limited time and mental focus. But his innovation and "bravery" inbringing us art that is fresh and new is of immense worth.

I love the music Tomita has created and, as some of you have expressed...especially love the earlier, more modular analog works.

When I was quite young, my dad bought "Pictures at an Exhibition" thinking it was an orchestral version. I was captivated immediately, wore the tape out and began searching for more of Tomita's music. Thus, I grew up on it from a young age and have been very much influenced by it in my own musical endeavors and choices.

Mark Steiner
    www.marksteinermusic.com

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
    ADVERTISEMENT

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    isaotomita-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.