My first experiance with a dead body

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by artemis836, Mar 16, 2008.

1. artemis836

artemis836 Vampire Slayer

So I had a new experiace at work today. I work in a hospital as a Nurse Aide and one of my patients died while I was on shift. She was a really nice lady but had cancer and lots of other complications, in the end it was the best thing for her to move on and stop suffering. After the family had spent some time with the body and cried I went into the room with another aide to wash the body.

I've never seen a dead person before. I've been to funerals and wakes and seen bodies all dolled up with makeup so they look fine but this was different. This woman looked...dead. She was ghastly pale and not moving and her skin was so cold. We washed her body and cleaned her up all nice since when a person dies all their muscles relax and fluids are totally expelled. While we were rolling her over to put the bodybag under her she gave out a faint 'death rattle' which I must admit unnerved me. Finally I tied the tag on her toe and we seeled up the body bag. Then we took the corpse to the morgue.

I will never forget how cold it was in the morgue. There was another bodybag inside the morgue on a strecher but that was nowhere near as depressing as the shelf labeled "Infants". There were four small baby-sized body bags on the shelf which had little toys inside the bags with the dead infants.

After all this I had to take a few minutes to let it sink in.

I just hope she's in a better place.

2. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Wow, I'd need a few minutes

Wow, I'd need a few minutes with a cigarette outside after something like that. I don't blame ya brother.