Manga need a new manga...

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by yakamashi, May 9, 2005.

1. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

*sigh* i need some help finding another manga to read. so if anyone can help me, can you please post some books you enjoyed reading?

genre that i like is mostly romance/angst.
    like stuff like imadoki, marmalade boy, etc. (but those aren't angst...)
    please HELP!!!

lol. never thought i'd live to see the day i'd write something like this...

2. furryb

furryb Blind guy drawing...

Tried the Midori no Hibi scanlations yet? That was a pretty good series. Really great art. (romance/comedy)

3. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

MegaTokyo is really funny. You can either buy it or read the wole story online for free.

4. Hoshi-kun

Hoshi-kun New Member

Have you read any of Tanemura Arina's works? Her works have romance and angst though there are some funny moments. Her series also have gorgeous artwork and well-crafted plots(in my opinion, that is). I'd recommend Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and Full Moon o Sagashite to you.

Another series I can recommend to you is Karin by Kagezaki Yuna. The series is a romantic comedy series, but there are some vampire elements in it. If you don’t mind the fantasy/magic genre, I’d safely say Someday’s Dreamers is a good series too, even it is pretty short. And I highly recommend you check out Chrno Crusade. CC has romance and, later in the series, angst along with memorable characters, original plot, and nice artwork. To be bias, it's a very beautiful series that can appeal to many people.

Anyhow, hope my recommendations helped you! ^_^

5. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I know one has romance in a different way. It is called Until the Full Moon.

6. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

thank you! and i'll check out those books tomorrow.

and hoshi-kun, yeah, i don't mind vampires. i LOVE THEM!!! lol.

and uh, nope. never read, much less heard of any of those mangas...

7. Fujimiya Aya

Fujimiya Aya New Member

DNAngel is good. There are currently 10 Japanese volumes out and 7 American. ^_^ It is a mixture of super natural/romance/angst and etc.

Daisuke Niwa was just an everage ordinary juniour high student at Azumano NO.2 Junior High. At least, until his 14th birthday. On the night of his 14th birthday, Daisuke turns into "Dark", the great legendary phantom thief whose identity remins unknown. The key to his secret lies in his body's DNA. The "Dark" which lay sleeping inside of him was awoken by his emotions for love. But will his feelings actually become reality?

The Phantom thief's name is "Dark". His identity.... no-one knowns.

Atleast, that's what it says in the blurb for the keyring I bought, but the story is a bit more complex than that ;). Daisuke is indeed a not-so-normal junior high student, who incidentally does turn into the phantom thief Dark, but the Kaitou Jeanne-esque premise of stealing stuff hides what it perhaps one of the more enthralling and complex stories in ASUKA's chunky anthology magazine. D.N.Angel is not only surprisingly fun, but it also has 'gasp' a pretty deep storyline. It's not just about Dark and Daisuke as they prey on various artworks and (in Darks case anyway) get soft toys throw at them for sneaking into peoples rooms. As the story progresses we start to see that things aren't all fun and games. The mysteries of the Hikari family, the treasured works they hold, and the powers connected to them. Just who in the hell Krad is and why Dark and he hate eachother. Satoshi's role in the whole thing, the foreshadowing "Black Wings", and Dark's struggle for his own identity. All these things are elements of a story so very rich it make you wish you could read Japanese to understand what it's all about!

Only we know the depths of our own hearts, but can Daisuke really keep his "Dark"? 'Time is not eternal'. The moment will come when the final page must be turned, but in the mean time I'm sure Sugisaki will keep us enthralled with every panel of D.N.Angel ;).

Roughly, D.N.Angel divides into a few different story arcs, with a few side stories and fillers thrown in for good measure

(from http://dnangel.angst-boi.net/)

8. Nat's Revenge

Nat's Revenge New Member

Try Ceres, Marmalade Boy, and Fusigi Yugi. They are great with romance and angst.

9. Fujimiya Aya

Fujimiya Aya New Member

Vampire Game is a good manga. It's licensed by Tokyo Pop, so you should find the volumes in the store.

Centuries ago the king of Saint Pheliosta, and the Vampire King, Duzell, had a monumental duel. Duzell was defeated and swore that he would fight again in his next reincarnation. Reborn as a wildcat, Duzell is picked up from the wild by Ishtar, the great-granddaughter of his nemesis, Phelios. The fate of ages is reborn and the vampire game begins.

And, oh yeah, did we mention that this is a comedy?

(from TP's site)

10. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

lol, doesn't sound like comedy... :p but anyway, sounds good! i'll check it out later. ^__^

*gasp!* ishtar... just like marik... yaaaaamiiiii maaaariiiiiiikkkkk.... *drool...*

11. SoraStrife

SoraStrife New Member

I know some

:D hey i know some manga that you will enjoy....
    There is
    demon Diary
    Alice 19
    Hot Gimmick
    Ceres is also good!
    fruits baskets
    I know more but like i keep saying I forget things easily but I'll look some up tomorrow for sure! :D

12. Shadowbard

Shadowbard Black-Winged Angel

Well, let's see...series I enjoy reading. There are quite a few of them, to be sure.

If you're looking for something with romance and adventure, I'd suggest trying something like Red River (also known as Anatolia Story if you want to look up fansites for the series). The sixth volume was released this month by Viz, and it's a really great story set in the ancient middle eastern area (around modern-day Turkey).

Other suggestions I have are Boys Over Flowers (Viz), Lament of the Lamb (Tokyopop), Aquarian Age: Juvenile Orion (Broccoli Books), and W Juliet (Viz). I would also second the recommendations of DN Angel, Alice 19th, and Fruits Basket.

~Shadrach Anki

13. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

well, i was thinking about furuba.... i also read like, a few books of it from my friend, but it just seems kinda boring... does it get better later on...?

14. Shadowbard

Shadowbard Black-Winged Angel

Fruits Basket moves kinda slowly, to tell you the truth, but I like the story and the characters. I also don't mind a slower pace. I think it does get better as you go along, so I'd suggest just keeping on with it.

~Shadrach Anki

15. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

doumo! i think i'll buy it... plus, there's a lot out. O_O or at least in japan...

16. Rane

Rane New Member

OOHHH! This might be a bit late...but...
    I STRONGLY RECOMMEND DN ANGEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU MUST READ IT!!

IT'S LIKE A SUPERNATURAL ROMANCE! (oopss..did I steal that off of somebody else? I think someone already said it...) But DN Angel's first two or three volumes are introductions. The plot gets much better later on!!

17. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

but are there like, any shounen ai manga's or something...?

18. Nat's Revenge

Nat's Revenge New Member

One More

I just tried this new manga and now I'm addicted. :anime: It's called Sensual Phrase by Mayu Shinjo. It's great is has all the romance and angst you can get. Be warned it has explicit contents :)confused: Not much too me). I love it. I'm waiting impatiently for volume 9 to come out. :anger: I have to learn the art of patience.

Anyone got another manga title that causes such a stir for me like Sensual Phrase? :sweat2:

19. Orion

Orion Gears

Warriors of Tao, it has romance and action. There are also a lot of twists.

20. dark chibi rin

dark chibi rin New Member

try kill me kiss me I thought it was a really good manga... it talks about gangs and all that but its really sweet... plus you'll love jung woo....every time he gets beat up i cry....well not really but its really good!!! :p ....ja ne