Video Games Neverwinter Nights Released...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BakaMattSu, Jul 4, 2002.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

...and I missed it? Sheesh, I must be working too hard after all that waiting on this one, and here it is, about two weeks after it hit the shelves, and I just found out!

You can bet I'll be running out to get this sucker the next chance I get! But until then, has anyone else gotten ahold of it yet? What are your impressions so far? Is it going to be worth the hard-earned cash I'm gonna spend on it?

BakaMattSu, and then there's the Warcraft 3 ordeal...

2. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

well, the aurara tool looks neat...fun to play with...must mess with more...havent' tried the other aspects...tho, i have heard many a god thing from my friends that have it...looks neat...and it has the VA for deiflatermause(the mouse thing from the tick*^-^*) in it..."i need to talk to you..." heheheheheh it sends warm giggles through...

now as to warcraft 3...been playing that one since the first beta...i wish they'd have left in the tree rushing in the final version...it was the thrid thing they "fixed" in the beta i think...if you get it for anything, get it for the graphics and sounds...the play kicks buns too, but,....the sounds...the running joke with darkness...and well, some referenses to the other games...."my life for aire...i mean, narzul.." or however it's spelled...and the the snl celebraty jeperdy thing with the dwarves...hehehehe

3. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

Well id have a copy of NWN and be playing it on the net right now with one of my characters from BG2 thrown of Bhaal.. But NO the Stupid bank would not send me a credit card because they are anal and aperently I HAVE NO CREDIT.. WHICH is BULLSHIT!!!! anyway just have to straighten some monkeys out and ill have NWN!! BU YAH!

KaME

4. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

umm...you still start at lvl 1 if you upload from the bg stuff...all you get is the name...no stuff or stats...

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

It rocks!

My only regret is how little time I have to play it!

I've started a rogue and just finished the prelude at 3rd level (I hope the level gaining slows at some point...My guess is they intended to start the game at 3rd level, but wante dto show you leveling up in the tutorial)...and I have been impressed thru and thru...

I have yet to even unpack the Aurora toolset...I'm gonna hold off until the normal game finishes...:p

And that VA...he's so overused! He was one of the default males in Baldur's Gate, he was in Quest for Glory IV, he was a Ninja turtle :)p), and I'm sure he's been in like 3 more things I can't think of at the moment....but yeah, it was funny...especially since he was used for BOTH twins....:)

Warcraft 3 can wait....NWN has me hooked!

BakaMattSu, now to forget it cost me almost $100...

6. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

I must get this. MUST. But I also must get Warcraft III. MUST. I haven't even got around to getting throne of bhall yet. MUST. But before any of them will even work on my PC I need a new hard drive. I also need a PS2, Final Fantasy X, a working version of FFIX, FFIV & V, Ico, GTA3...
    I think I'll go and cry.

7. c0ke

c0ke New Member

You should get Warcraft III, it is the sickiest game I ever played. Its like Heros of Might and Magic + Warcraft II + Sacrifice. If you have time you should also try Dungeon Siege.

As for NWN, I seen screenshots for it, but never played it, any good?

8. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

It's official. I am addicted to Neverwinter Nights. I still haven't figured out if that's a good or a bad thing, though. :p

What makes NWN so enjoyable, is that it took the model of the Baldur's Gate series and cut out all the things that I disliked about that game.

1) 3D Modeling. Things aren't super-fantastic looking, but they are pretty. Now I can rotate my views to see better, zoom in or out, and the detailing is better than ever. Instead of just watching characters stand in place and swing every turn, you see them duck, dodge, parry and move about during combat. And of course, lighting and shadows are fun...

2) Character Focus. I don't play a lot of multiplayer, so BG became annoying when I started adding NPCs. It lost the fine-tuned roleplaying I could achieve with a single character in my command. It became more of a hack n' slash. Mind you, there's lots of that in NWN, but it's more balanced for a single character...meaning, I have more fun getting into my player's role. I should eventually look into a henchmen, since the tooltips keep telling me the game may be unbalanced and impossible without one...

3) 3rd Edition. While I still love 2nd Edition, the 3rd Edition rules just make for more customizable and enjoyable player characters. They're balanced so that you can pick a character other than a fighter, and still live the first few experience levels on your own...

4) Unlimited Adventures. I used to be a big fan of UA, the goldbox construction kit. Now there's the seriously revamped Aurora toolset available to make Neverwinter Nights into a literal Neverending Story...

So, is it any good? Hell yeah!

BakaMattSu, currently retrieved 3 of 4 Whaterdhavian creatures with his 7th level Rogue....but still hasn't unpacked the Aurora tools..:p