Current Affairs New Pope

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jedimdo, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

1 person likes this.
  2. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Same here. I can't say anything about him, since i've barely heard of him, but let's hope that he makes a good pope.

-Seishin

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Well, here's hoping he's a good pope...

4. sweetasuka

sweetasuka Ahh Ice-Cream!

I was in History class when I heard when we got new pope. I for one hope he does a good job. He has big shoes to fill ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger was a very well known Cardinal. One could say he was John Paul II's right hand man and he was also the Dean of the College of Cardinals. Ratzinger was also the Cardinal who gave us a moving homily at John Paul II's funeral mass. Pope Benedict XVI is the first German Pope since the 11th century. He is a very humble man. He is also extremely intelligent. I'm very content and really look forward to his papacy. It's interesting.. the next World Youth Day is this summer and it's in Cologne Germany.

6. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Joseph Ratzinger is also very controversial because his fierce defense of catholic morals (i.e. no to abortion, contraceptives, gay marriage, married priests, ordaining women, etc etc etc etc). Well, it was his job, JPII named him chief of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (not that JPII wasn't against all those things, he was).

The detractors of the Catholic Church see in him a "dangerous" ultra-conservative Pope, and they say he will fracture the Church with his attitudes.

(Not to mention, he is the shadow of JPII, so no matter what he does, someone will always speak against him.

Let's see what happens in Germany.

UPDATE:
    Check out this story on the Washington Post.

7. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Pope Benedict XVI, eh!?
    I liked the guy right of the start. It was nice what he did for John Paul II at his funeral. He was one of the favourites as well. I've heard nothing but good things about the man, and all i can do is congratulate him. Well, you get the point.
    Here's to the new Pope....truthfully deserved! *cheers*

- Kaiyon

8. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I think he'll make a good Pope, he sure seems to be outspoken so he won't be too timid to try to do something about terrorism. We'll see what he's like, can't wait to hear his talks at the next World Youth Day on TV (I wish I could go..).

Congrats to Pope Ben 16th!

9. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

I was surpirsed that they managed to elect another pope so fast, i honestly thought that it would be another day or 2 before they chose a new one.
    Well can't really complain to be honest, i've heard very little about him. So i'll have to wait and see what hes like.
    It's kinda weird looking at a new pope after growing up all my life looking at John Paul II as pope.

10. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

I too know litle about him, except that I heard on the radio that he opposes: rock music, homosexuality, and a few other things I forgot about... I could understand why for most of them, its in the religion, but what does he have against rock music? I don't want to be rude though. I'm sure he'll make a fine Pope.

11. Seishin

Seishin Guest

I've heard this from some people for awhile now, but is it true that Benedict is an ex-nazi or something? Or is that lies? Apologies if i went off topic, but it's someting i had to make sure of.....

-Seishin

12. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

I too dont understand why he would oppose rock music. But as all others I think he'll make a fine pope.

13. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Maybe all Rock Music he knows about is Korn...

14. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

It's true, but only part of the story. He grew up in Germany during the drafts, and was thusly forced into supporting Nazism. Apparently, he used every excuse he could to get out of it.

1 person likes this.
  15. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Records show he was "a very unenthusiastic member" of the Hitlerjugend.

Unfortunately, I don't have a source. Sorry.

16. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Ahhh, I see. Well, thank you for the information, it's really nice to know the whole truth now.

-Seishin

17. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

We are talking about a rock industry that sells sex and violence; maybe rap would go under this too.

There was this kid in one of the local high schools I subbed in. He wanted me to play his music, saying it was 'ok'. Ya right. All it had in it were swear words and this one song I kept hearing at the gym about 'shaking that ass' there's also another one about putting a 'key' into an 'ignition'. Sorry guys, I don't want to hear that crap..

You are absolutely right to say this. There are too many half-truths in the media.

18. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Actually, one of his first messages as the new Pope was to the chief Rabbi of Rome to increase relations:

19. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

I personally like the new pope. He seems very traditional, and respects most cultures. Plus, he's german and that hits home for me....Quite literally.

-lucky

20. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

... there's a new pope? ... since when?! wow, am i uninformed or what. :sweat2: