Computers No audio output device is installed

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Basher, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

So I finally got my main computer back. Was able to save files before i decided to format and upgrade to Windows Vista. :D 300 GB of unused space.

Anyway, my sound doesn't work. The speaker has "no audio output device is installed"

My device manager has the whole exclamation point by the speaker it says "high def audio device" and after i tried to fix it says "ADS instant HDTV PCI"

How do I get the sound to work? I think i need software right? and how do I know if the second one is the right audio device?

Its so annoying trying to listen to anime without sound. Even though i put it on fast forward while i watch it so the sound is like a chipmunk. And yet i still can't watch anything without sound.

2. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Since you've upgraded to Vista you probably need to download the drivers for your sound card. If you know the brand and model of your card you can go to their website and download the drivers yourself. Without the drivers Windows can't communicate with your hardware. Your sound card is very old, and Vista may not support it anymore, but that doesn't mean you can't get it working again.

You can find out what audiocard you need from either Device Manager or, if you bought it from someone like HP or Dell, it should say somewhere in the manuals or packaging. Most likely, I think it would be an onboard sound card; that is a sound card that was attached to your motherboard, rather than a separate card that was installed after the fact. If you can get the brand and model of your motherboard you might be able to get the drivers from their website as well.

Lastly, if you bought the computer from Dell or HP or one of those companies, you should be able to prowl their forums or help centers, or even call their support line and get the information that way as well. This might be the easiest way.

This guy seemed to have the same problem you had, I suggest taking the advice that the other forum members as well as his solution to help fix your issue:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/677169-ads-instant-hdtv-pci-sound.html

Let us know how it works out.

~W

3. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Thanks I tried it but no go. Trying to get my lazy bro over to fix it. He lives 3 blocks away.