Celebrations Note Concerning Birthday Threads

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zanza, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

After a little discussion I had with Arcueid, we decided that a whole month as a limit to post in birthday threads is a bit much. There are some people who posted in others' birthday threads without really knowing them about a month later claiming to be 'late'. Bumping birthday threads that are months old is really pointless.

Arcueid and I decided that the limit should be 2 weeks, maybe 3 weeks if you are a close friend of the person.

I hope that this isn't perceived as a strict rule; We're doing this for current birthday threads to get the attention they deserve, and to lessen the pointless posts. This thread will be open for Feedback, feel free to post.

Thank you for your time :)

- Zanza

1 person likes this.
  2. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

If you are a close friend to the person in question, then it's pretty bad to not know the person's birthday is coming up, then go 'oh shoot' after 3 weeks then post. don't you think? you might as well close it after a week.. and a half or something.

3. Zanza

Staff Member

lol, you have a point there. And the idea of closing after a week did cime across my mind, but I didn't want to be 'strict'. I guess 2 weeks as a maximum?

4. Dante

Dante New Member

Things come up. **** happens. Hell, I know half of my friends forgot about my birthday and they all had valid reasons to (those that are still my friends, those sneaky *******s). I say it shouldn't be any LESS than two weeks. Though no more than three.

1 person likes this.
  5. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

It is a bit funny to see people me tooing in a way old birthday thread.

Sometimes there is a reson to post something in one though.. I just did a particularly evil bump to joke around with BMS about something he said. Funny thing though is that immediately after that a couple people posted to say happy birthday even though the thread was something like 2 and a half years old LOL

So dunno. Do the benefits of preventing badly timed birthday wishes outweigh the loss of freedom to reply to something in the thread? I mean sometimes threads change topics, which is pretty cool. It's neat to see a whole new topic emerge, and I don't like preventing that

6. Zanza

Staff Member

Ne, MO, how can you want to finish something that happend 2 years ago? (I am talking about *that* post ;)).

To me, it is fine if you want to change the topic a little as long as it doesn't goes too far or the whole thread turns into lego stuff instead of birthday ;)

And what I was talking bout in the previous posts is not comming to a thread saying "Happy birthday" and leave when it has been a long time for the bday post, which looks 99% spam. (1% is because I have a little good inside of me :p).

7. Zanza

Staff Member

New Dos and Don'ts:

You may not:
    • Don't post a birthday thread for every freaking member you have in your "Buddy List" (or in msn/aim/icq/yahoo, etc..).
    • Don't post for someone who has been unactive for a while that less likely to return, especially on his/her birthday.

You may:
    • You may if it was someone active and well known among us.
    • You may if it was a really close friend, like you know him/her in real life. Online friendship is allowed if it has been at least 1 year, not a day or two..

If birthday threads rules were broken, we might end up giving members a limit to how much they post birthday threads ^^