Japanese Novels to Manga (Japenese Literature)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Suzu, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Currently, I'm reading a book Called "Memoirs of a Geisha" It's a great novel, and it gives a lot of insight into Japan's culture.
    I was wondering if anyone here read the novel?

Are there any Japenese books (Novels such a Memoirs of the Geisha) that were turned into Manga. I think this book would turn our to be a good manga, even though the story is based on a real expereince.

I sort of made a connection between the book and 'Rurouni Kenshin OVA"... Katsura had one Geisha with him... At first I thought she was his wife then I saw that she wasn't...

[This message has been edited by Skuld (edited 11-20-2001).]

2. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Samurai X?...sorry but the english title bothers me [​IMG]

I have not read the book, but I know that Memoirs of Geisha is being made into a motion picture directed by Steven Spielberg.

3. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

I'm sorry.. there, the title is fixed and changed!

Really! Memoirs of a Geisha, a motion picture!!! Wow, now isn't that something... Now I get to see the reall stuggle rather than read it hehe ^^;

Any one knows of other hostorical japanese novels, or any transulated japenese literature?

4. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

Well, Miyamoto Musashi wrote a book called:... ah, I forget the title but I think it had to do with 'The way of The water'

------------------
    What was the start of all this?
    When did the cogs of fate begin to turn?
    Perhaps it is impossible to grasp that answer now,
    From deep within the flow of time...

But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves.

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under Cerulean skies...

Book of Time, Chrono Cross

5. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

You should check out the Seven Samurai [​IMG]

6. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

That's a movie, dude, albeit the best movie ever. It even has an American-made spinoff called The Magnificent Seven which is, without a doubt, the best western movie ever (take that, John Wayne!).
    As for novels, most of the stuff I read is either American, Canadian or British. I try to avoid translations because you lose any poetic qualities the original work might have had (that's why I haven't read the Tao Te Ching, which is actually philosophy, but would still be cool).
    I can, however, recommend y'all to a board game based on a manga that was based on Japanese history. It's called Lone Wolf & Cub, and follows the travels of a lone samurai and his infant son as they travel around the region seeking to avenge the murder of Lone Wolf (the samurai)'s wife. It's pretty cool, although you'd have to check out some specialty shops and the like to find it, and even then, it's really hard to find. BakaMattSu and I used to play it from time to time. It's kind of an RPG sort of thing.

------------------
    KICKSTART MY HEART!

7. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

Found out the title of the book:
    The Way Of The Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi. Good luck finding it! It's about the way Musashi thought. And here's another one: A tale of Genji

------------------
    Yamato was showing Meaikoh his weapon before he attacked her. It was a spikey mace-head mounted on a spear instead of the spear point. Mattimeo/Yamato Wadaiko: Its name is Shamisen
    Meaikoh T.: You're gonna attack me with a wooden guitar?
    Yamato: No. I name my weapon Shamisen, for when it glides through the air, tis music to my ears!
    Meaikoh: Right...so it's a guitar?

[This message has been edited by Meaikoh_Takashi (edited 11-23-2001).]

8. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Isn't there a CCG based on that whole deal called Legend Of The Five Rings or something like that? I think it's by Wizards Of The Coast.

------------------
    DAMN IT! I'VE CHANGED AGAIN!