Obcessive RK Fans Unite!

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Hitokiri_Battou, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Hitokiri_Battou

Hitokiri_Battou New Member

Is there anyone else out there that is hoplessly obcessed With RK? as of now ive seen every eppie of kenshin TV and OVA including the 2nd OVA Ive seen the Movie in English and in Japanese i own every single piece of Kenshin music put out and i bought the manga series ^^;;;;;;; i own a sword and can do some of kenshins techs O.O And just to get this straight the Sakabatou is not a real sword and isnt even possible to create given the many series of steps to creating a katana because the back is a softer steel than the edge so it can absorb the shock of battle and not shatter. therefore reversing the edges would weaken the sword. and in the manga when kenshin faces Aoshi he says the katana is built for the swing not the stab well in that instance he was holding the blade not that handle and being it a reversed blade sword it would have cut his thumb off because the shock of hitting something would have forced the edge through his skin and bones had it have been a real katana then it wouldnt do that. anyway if ur obcessed enough to notice that reply! ^^x oh and if u say oro in real life like me ^^;;;

2. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I know, the sword really does match it's user that way :) Welcome to the site, I'm glad to have you here at MangaToAnime :D

Here goes my Kenshin obsession: BakaMattSu lent me the tapes to the series about 2 years ago, I think it was, and I became hooked instantly. The first thing of Kenshin I saw, though, was the Tsukio Hen OVA's and I expected the series to be very dark and bloody as well. But right away I started work on The Domain of the Hitokiri(and yeah I know the layout isn't that great... I'm remaking it as we speak!!!) And created Hitokiradio too, but that went down with the new internet radio policies and all... I have posters and action figures too :D

How much did the Sakaba cost? I want to get me one!!

aside: I think I should change my avatar ;) I've had it for a while and need a change... and people won't get us confused

3. Hitokiri_Battou

Hitokiri_Battou New Member

kewl kewl! another obcessed RK fan! ^^ well as i said the sakaba katana doesnt exist. one things thats neat about the sakabatou is if u break down the kanji in the name u get reversed=saka ba=edged tou=sword ^^ just a little interesting japanese lesson

4. Lethal Angel

Lethal Angel New Member

I've only seen a couple episodes, but its already my favorite anime.:D I watched it with my cousins and they said it was better to see the OVA's after you've finished the series. Is that true?

5. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

well that kind of depends on which episodes you've seen i personally think you should see the OVAs if uve seen up to episode 28 or so or manga number 7. because thats when u really need to learn more about Kenshins past as the Hitokiri Battousai. but i guess it depends on ur taste.

BTW u can ask me anything about Rurouni Kenshin and ill get u a answer

6. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

The OVAs are ripped from the last manga storyline (which never gets animated...wahh), and detail Kenshin's past.

I think the whole mystery shrouding Kenshin is a great addition to the mood and feeling you get watching the series, so it's best to put them off until the end of the Kyoto storyline (after ep 62), putting them better in with the timeline Watsuki originally created.

Or even better, get ahold of the Jinchuu storyline (the last few manga volumes), and read that after 62, filling in the OVA when Kenshin begins telling his past.

That's my recommendation, but it's all personal preference, I suppose. Many people prefer to watch it first, and others will only watch it and not the TV series because of their very different feel.

When I say OVA above, I assume you mean the first OVA. The second OVA definately comes after you've finished all of TV.

7. Hitokiri_Gensai

well technically yes but the Jinchuu Arc was made by a totally different animator. actually the First OVA was produced as a pre cursor for the TV series.

8. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Nani?

I dunno what you think I'm talking about (perhaps Seisho Hen?), but Jinchuu never was animated. Ever. That's why I directed you to the manga, which was entirely Watsuki's doing. In this revenge story, Enishi (Tomoe's brother, now older) is out to make Kenshin suffer. When kenshin realizes what is going on, he relates the whole tale of his younger life as Hitokiri Battousai in Kyoto to the Kenshin-gumi -> that relation is the story extracted to make the first OVA. And while it may pre-date the series, it certainly wasn't a completely new production (as the second OVA set, or many stories during the TV series and every story past episode 62) were.

9. Hitokiri_Gensai

i know that. if uve seen the Seishou hen its literally the Jinchuu Arc. although the characters looks have been drastically changed. also the Tsukio Hen OVA was animated by a different animator than the TV series

seisho hen OVA is the Jinchuu Arc animated the Tuskio Hen is the pre coursor to the TV series. well technically its from the Jinchuu Arc but it doesnt start with Kenshin telling the tale. its just about Hitokiri Battousai and the Ishin Shishi. in the manga where you really learn about Hitokiri Battousai is the Jinchuu arc manga 19-21 to be exact. but the Tsukio hen OVA isnt really from Kenshins point of View. (aka the TV series Kenshin). the Seishou hen is the Jinchuu arc. ive already read all the manga. ^^;;; bought the whole series offa ebay ^^;;; anyway..

10. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Well, then you really can't say it's the Jinchuu since it only really takes that single portion of the story. The entire revenge stroy involves what happens outside his tale. Still, I see your point - but I stand by my earlier recommendation.

11. Sanosuke

Sanosuke New Member

I'm another obsessed Rurouni kenshin fan! :p I own 16 out of 22 DVD's in the Kenshin DVD collection (not Samurai X). Sagara Sanosuke is my favorite character-- I even have a complete Sanosuke outfit -- working on the zanbatou replica when I move to Japan in 2005 :)

Sanosuke!
    Japan - July 2003

12. Athena

Athena Wisdom comes with Sadness

I just became a obbssesed Rurouni Kenshin fan about a month ago by a friend of mine, I just stated the Kyoto line a couple days ago.

13. Hitokiri_Gensai

hmmmmm are u reading the manga or watching the series? the manga is quite good in my oppinon great actually
    ^^

14. Athena

watching the series, I haven't found the manga yet.

15. Hitokiri_Gensai

its not to hard to find if u get the original japanese mangas. itll run u about 150 for the whole set on ebay of somewhere round 200 from a bookstore. if u do decide to get the japanese ones i have the translations for the whole set

16. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

17. Hitokiri_Gensai

you can also go here to find just about any *japanese* mangas www.kikiwai.com or just search on ebay thats where i got the Kenshin manga set i own

18. Athena

Thanks! but I don't buy stuff online... actually I'm going to ask the bookstore near me to start buying the mangas b/c he already has Sailor moon series, inyuasha (did I spell it right?) and a lot of other mangas so maybe he'll like my suggestion and I can just buy them there! what do u guys think?

19. Hitokiri_Gensai

hmmmm thats a decent way to get them but it usually cost more to buy them like that. btw Inu Yasha is spelled Inu Yasha