Debate Official USA Election 2004 Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Billy277, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Well, today was Super Tuesday, and it did its job - John Kerry won all three big states and six of the seven others. John Edwards lost it all and is going to drop out, which means that John Kerry is going to be the Democratic presidential nominee. With that in mind, I thought I'd create an "official" thread to refer to whenever something election-related happens in the next eight or so months until the big day.

So who do the rest of you (And everyone else, for that matter) like more? Incumbent George Bush or War hero John Kerry? Or perhaps you prefer Ralph Nader or another third-party candidate? This election is going to be extremely important, with its winner deciding our fate in Iraq, the economy, the War on Terror and a host of other important issues. I think I've said before that I've supported John Kerry from about Day 1, but I'm eager to hear other opinions. :)

2. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

don't have much to say on the issue, but any president who takes "the war on terror" seriously is not easily going to gain my respect..

not that my respect matters much, but the level of time I spend insulting people varies greatly relative to my levels of respect for them.

3. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

Well first, our fate in Iraq should be over. We did what we set out to do, there's no reason for us to still be there. Second, we should be worrying about our internal affairs before other people's (Do not remove the splinter from your neighbor's eye when you cannot see the plank in your own).

In other words, I'm all for Bush not being in office.

4. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

None of the current presidential candidates look decent to me, but then, it's been a long time since the US has had a decent president anyways.

- Ark

5. BotticelliLover

BotticelliLover New Member

I'd have to agree I'm not really big on any of them, but I think Bush is finished anyways.

Kerry should pick Edwards for vice if he wants to win, but I heard he had some other guy in mind.

6. VM1070

VM1070 Let's Go Voltron Force

Here's one for the Forum to tear up:

What is everyones view on the Bush Campaign using images of 911 to promote their Election push??

*Note to All* I have not taken a firm stand on this topic as of yet. I don't know how I truly feel about this campaign stunt.

Victor

7. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

I'm really surprised that the story unfolded this way. I thought that it was painfully obvious that Bush was going to use 9/11 images in his ads and that he was on the same page as the victims.

In any event, I honestly don't care too much. As long as he isn't defaming anyone or telling lies in his ads, it's fair game. I can certainly understand why the victims would be mad at him, though - They've alleged the Bush administration has treated their comission like dirt, and this doesn't help.

8. BotticelliLover

BotticelliLover New Member

Well, using the 9/11 stuff isn't going to make me like him any more than I do now.

It might even turn some people off, but around where I live I'm sure it'll inspire patriotic pride in our loyal supporters of Bush.

He shouldn't rely on one single event as his support. They should find something else he was good at and emphasize that as well.

9. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

Actually, I think the 9/11 events are a very strong tool to use AGAINST Bush. It's so much easier to critisize than show achievments (which there are a pitifully small amount of anway).

So let's see:

Bush- The guy the vast majority of intelligent Americans hate.
    Kerry- The new guy on the block that just got nominated to run.
    Nater- The guy who's always there. Who always loses.

This saddens me.

10. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Now now, UFOtaku. The vast majority of Americans do NOT hate Bush; in fact, until recently his approval rating was still around 55%. I believe it's dropped to 50% or so, but that's still not enough to justify your comment.

I do think, however, that 9/11 could indeed backfire on Bush if he doesn't handle it delicately. Victims' rights groups say that he is stonewalling and trying to stall the investigation into what went wrong; whether that's true or not, it certainly doesn't make him look good.

11. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

there's also the online bets betting on when osama will be caught to be around election time, so that it looks good for bush.
    i'll be voting for whatever evil isn't bush...

12. VM1070

VM1070 Let's Go Voltron Force

Those same rumors are flying around my National Guard unit as well. Wouldn't it be so grand if Osama just happens to be captured right around the end of October--maybe one or two weeks before the country is about to elect the next President of the USA.

Victor

13. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

august seems to be the choice month currently...

14. Old_Coyote

Old_Coyote New Member

Now now, Billy227. I believe UFOtaku said the vast majority of intelligent Americans hate Bush.

I hate Bush, although I must admit I'm glad he's ousted Saddam Hussein, I think the cost was too high and the fact that he lied to justify it pisses me off. Oh and did I mention he's an idiot.

15. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

Unfortunately, intelligent Americans are by far the minority of the American populace.

- Ark

16. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Prove it, then. By "intelligent", do you mean college graduates or such? http://www.maitreg.com/politics/elections/2000/exitpolls.asp says that Bush actually did better than Gore among college graduates in the 2000 election (Small surprise #2.) In addition, http://www.kaet.asu.edu/horizon/poll/2004/2-26-04.htm says that as recently as the end of February Bush had a 52%-48% lead among college graduates in Arizona, certainly not a conservative stronghold. I wasn't able to find any current, nationwide trackers regarding college graduates regarding Bush VS. Kerry, so if you can do so pleast post them.

Look, I know what UFOtaku said was just a passing comment. Truthfully, I agree with his sentiment - I don't care much for Bush either. But when you make such a statement like that, you've got to be able to back it up.