Computers Omg... what happened to FanFiction.net?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by wertitis, Nov 7, 2004.

1. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

I'm trying to upload a new likkle SMJ Phan Phic to FF.net, but the whole system they have set up there is absolutely insane. Thier little type box for editing the roughs prior to officially posting is ubelievably retarded. Unless you're typing letters, numbers and the odd punctuation mark it doesn't support the text and immediately lops it off.

"..." <---- It simply DROPS that line too. It just removes it like it's a bad spelling error.

". . ." <---- Same for this. I almost put my mouse through my monitor when it did. :anger2:

Can't use the tilde key, it automatically skips an entire line when you hit return, it butchers the format of my 'fic...

What the heck happened to it? Anyway to make it act straight?

And is there anywhere else I can post my SMJ fanfiction that WON'T completely slaughter it? I've got one in the works that's well over 800 pages already and I don't really wanna go back and fix EVERYTHING because FF.net decided authors should have no say in how thier 'fics should be formatted. It's frustrating as hell... Anyone got anything on this?

~The Wert

[ '~' <--- That's a tilde key, and it's illegal on ff.net.]

2. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

That is why I prefer MediaMiner.org to Fanfiction.net.

And, as soon, as I can get a title for my story, and divide it into proper chapters, I will assure you that MediaMiner.org is where it's heading. Just forget FF.net altogether.

And, Darkie, I've begun reading that fanfic, and I will send my thoughts on it so far to you in a PM right away. Don't sign off yet! (too late)

BTW, you might consider sending a copy of it to BakaMattSu, and luvweaver, two very accomplished fanfic authors, and members of our forum. Of course, you might rather wait a bit, and let them read it when you post it.

Last, can I pleeeeze tell them at least the name of it, even if you don't send them a copy? Pleeeeze? I'd post a pic of Lime with that puppy-dog eyes expression, but I can't find one. Just pop in your DVD and watch Program 8 of J. When Otaru shouts, "You know, this is all your..." to Lime, just look at that expression she gives him, and imagine it here, okay? :rolleyes:

3. wertitis

Mediaminer?

MediaMiner.org, eh? I'll have to scope it out. Still, does anyone know how to make the 'net work right?

Hopefully you're talking about my short little 'Scary Fanfic'. I'm not posting the one I gave ya until it's done and complete. It'll be another year or more yet.

Luvweaver's a good man, and I chat with him all the time on AIM. I offered to let him glance it over but he said that he wouldn't have the time. BakaMattSu... I think I talked with him a few years ago, right around the time I let Human loose.

Besides, I'm going to preview the 'Scary Fic' here on the boards in about a week or so to let you guys give me some pre-postage feedback.

oO; ...Err, sure. Go ahead. Knock yourself out man.

:catgirl: If only LadyAoi were here. I've still gotta give her a word of thanks.

oO ...Pretend that was a catGUY, ok...

ANYWAY, back to the whole point of thie thread, does ANYONE know how to stop FF.net from acting retarded, or is my only option moving my stories somewhere else?

~The wert

a.k.a.

Darkie

...That sounds like a pet name...

4. D.T.

D.T. New Member

I think that this will answer your question anyway. It gets me mad as well so I can't do the stuff I used to.

5. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

ARIGATOU! DARKIE-CHAN![/Lime impression]

The fic is called: Mitsurugi, the Beautiful Sword!

Almost scary, that name is...

Anyway, MediaMiner.org is far superior to FF.net. They aren't as well-known yet, but it's much easier to work with. Pretty much, it's what FF.net used to be, about 3 years ago.

Lady Aoi would likely agree with me. And beg you for a copy of that fanfic.

6. wertitis

I'm afraid I've said too much...

Mitsu's not coming out for a long, long while yet.

Anyway...

I read that as well. Is that when everything went to pot over there? Not two months ago? Maybe if everyone rises up against them they may change things for the better.

Stinkin' FF.net...

7. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Do you post your fics in MS-Word, or HTML format?

You can try exporting from Word to HTML. Then use HTML Tidy (tidy.sourceforge.net) to clean-up the MS-word tags.

I personally use TidyUI, a GUI front-end for Tidy.

8. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Wouldn't Dreamweaver do the same job? or even better?
    Dreamweaver exports very good html code :)

9. wertitis

What is this Dreamweaver?

And does converting my text to HTML solve the ff.net problem?

I guess there's only one way to find out...

~the wert

[Edit] Wait a second... How DO I use tidy? Is it an online HTML converter or do I need to d/l a program... or...

Try explaining it a little more. I dont fool around with HTML at all. [Edit]

10. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Dreamweaver: HTML Editor.

Tidy: A text-only-cryptic-scary-for-windows-users utility which cleans up MS-Word imported HTML.

If you download TidyUI, you get a non-cryptic-nor-scary-for-windows-users tool. It requires reading the manual, tho.

11. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

-> Moving to Computers Forum, as it is more about a technical issue with a site than SMJ.