Saber Marionette On Hanagata

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Reisti Skalchaste, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Simple subject, just say anything about our old "friend" Hanagata. Anything. What you think of him, What you think Otaru and company think of him, ideas for a story involving him, whatever. I though it would be interesting to bring other's views of Hanagata into the light.

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

3. Reisti Skalchaste

Hmm... It seems you're losing yourself, or maybe I haven't read anything but the ancient threads from 3 years ago, and you've changed it since then, but you didn't end that post with a "Bakamattsu, etc. etc." line.

[EDIT] But a good point nonetheless.[/EDIT]

4. Xel

Xel New Member

Now how'd I miss this thread?

I can tell you right off that I wouldn't be anywhere NEAR as interested in SMJ if it wasn't for Hanagata. He was the deciding factor in my picking up the series in the first place (having seen the first episode at my old anime club), and if I hadn't seen him flouncing around wondering "WHY DOES MY HEART ACHE?!", well... I don't think I'd be typing this right now, that's for sure.

He's the source of some delightful randomness that we probably wouldn't get otherwise. That one scene where he pops out of the rice bucket with absolutely no warning and exclaims "Otaru-kuuun!" after which Otaru just slams the lid on him and sits in total silence for a second or two-- BEAUTIFUL. XD

I like how some of his attempts on Otaru's chastity border on disturbing. *chuckle* Because hey, if it creeps you out sometimes, it's probably doing its job. The earlier Hanagata is extraordinarily loud, obnoxious, egotistical, and just a little gross. But what I've always thought was amazing is the sort of... understated way that he matures throughout the two series (not so much in SMJAgain, given his sole purpose as comic relief there), the way he started off something of a coward, but even by the middle of SMJ he's marching off to Gartlant with the others for no reason other than because he wants to be with Otaru, etc. There's no way he couldn't have been aware of the risks. Hanagata's a lot of things, but unintelligent isn't one of them. You have to admit, his devotion is admirable, whether or not it bordered closer to obsession before it cooled off again. ^^;

That's also interesting, I think. The way Hanagata's thing for Otaru visibly makes this singular little trough-crest-trough pattern. He starts out almost reluctant to recognize it, then when he does, it grows and grows until it explodes in a terrifying flurry of creepy Otaru merchandise (pajamas, anyone?), but then it wanes a little back to the more standard constant attempts at physical contact, and by the middle of SMJ to X, he hardly touches him at all. His last real scene in J to X has him far, far away from Otaru, but he's never seemed more content. (Though if you ask me, I think it's because there's no more *ahem* pressure... but I digress.)

He's also the source of just about my favorite scene in either series--
    when he smacks Otaru in Xian.
    I think it's probably one of the more pivotal moments for his character... I know the Hanako of mid-SMJ would never have done that. He grows up a lot in J to X, and maybe that's why it's my favorite series between the two.

I know a lot more about him than I did at the time that I wrote my old fics. That combined with the fact that I wrote them when I was about 13, well... eheh. I think I might rewrite those babies in the near future. If my brain doesn't combust from all the awful, that is. :p

1 person likes this.
  5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

One of, if not the most pivotal moments for sure. I know it was a scene that surprised me as much as it did Hanagata himself. It was something I thought he was never capable of no matter what happened.

He truly has strength of his own, and I do mean beyond the fact that he seems nearly indestructable even in the face of megatons of beating. You gotta hand it to the guy who seems to be good at nothing -- he's never even won at Rock Paper Scissors before (unless you count the manga) -- but still carries through the day high-spirited and fighting for love. He faces adversity like so many cliche heroes, and rarely gets any recompense beyond a kick to the face.

Shinryu: Yes, I've lost myself. Before I adopted the use of a signature, I personalized each and every one of my posts with a "BakaMattSu, yada-yada-yada..." I've long since fallen out of that habit.

Truth be told, the thread I dug up there is older than I had originally thought. For historians and curiosity seekers, that there was Lady Aoi's first post here. And reading my response over, I have changed my opinion of Hana since. As I stated back then, I found him a laughable comedic relief fallguy -- which I won't argue against -- but he did develop far more when J to X came around, as Xel pointed out, and I have nurtured a semblence of respect for him.

BakaMattSu, reviving old habits for the heck of it...

6. Xel

Xel New Member

Hee, I'm so glad someone agrees. But... did it really need spoiler tags? o.o; It's not exactly pivotal to the plot or anything... and J to X has been out for a good while now.

I used to think to myself that it'd be kinda satisfying if he just snapped one day-- like "I CAN'T TAKE THIS **** NO MORE!"-- but then it occurred to me that this, too, is one of his strengths. The man is unbelievably forgiving. This would only translate to "doormat" if he weren't so... ambitious.

Aww, Aoi's first post. <3 I feel like a part of history, I do. I ought to have joined sooner, when I was more crazed about SMJ, but I was just a wee lass at the time.

And you know, I should hope you've got a semblance of respect for him. You're still the VP of Spiff-Cam, aren't you? :O

Xel, reviving old fics and groaning about it. -_-;;

7. Reisti Skalchaste

Certainly, if you've seen Phase Three of J to X, you really, have to admire Hanagata. Wait, is admire the right word? Umm... I'm not sure.
    When Hanagata refuses to give up the fight against his father, even though he has no chance of victory.
    Surely, this is something he would have never done before that point.
    Speaking of that point,
    Hanagata seems to be in much worse shape after Kamataro beats him up than when Lime, Cherry, or Bloodberry do.
    Perhaps there's something we should know about.
    I'm not sure if the spoiler tags were necessary, but a) I wanted to try them out, and b) Better to be safe than sorry.

Shinryu, wondering why Lady Aoi hasn't jumped on this...

8. Xel

Xel New Member

You know, that's interesting. ^^; But then again, rarely does Hana keep coming back for more after one of the girls gives him a pummeling.

Something tells me that Yumeji'd make a much better Hanagata Council heir than Mitsurugi anyway, what with Hanako being the eccentric, artistic black sheep of the family. (This image makes me snicker for some reason.) Though me and Aoi have theorized in the past that instead of becoming the golden boy he seems like he'd be, he could instead go through a phase of rebellious, Holden Caulfield-gauge misanthropy. Which you have to admit is an interesting thought.

I'm not entirely sure, but I fear that she may have-- *looks stricken* moved on. Of course Hana will ALWAYS hold a very special place in her heart, but... ;[

9. Reisti Skalchaste

True, but Kamataro didn't send him flying into: the air, his store, through the roof, etc., merely into the ground several times. I seem to think flying through a roof, a glass window into a department store, and likely into several people would cause him to be more than just a little dazed. More likely lacerated, bruised, broken boned... basically everything his father gives him. (see Phase One: Civilization All Over The Place)

[EDIT]
    Did you notice that if you move the space in her name you get "Lad YAOI?" Hmm... I wonder if there's something I'd rather not know...[/EDIT]

10. Xel

Xel New Member

Hmm. Maybe Hana only responds to repeated trauma? ^^;

I did. >D I think I may have been one of the pioneers in snickering about it, too. Lad yaoi for EVERYONE! ;O

11. Reisti Skalchaste

You don't call the girls' poundings of him "repeated?" It does happen all the time. And what about that time Cherry smashed him with a frying pan? That should have caved in his skull! Or sent his head straight through to his feet! (Through his body) Did you see how hard she hit him?! He broke the sound barrier! Even if the former didn't get him, that could have peeled the skin off his bones! Especially since he likely would have got cuts from flying through the door!

Sorry about the gruesome post.

12. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

AND she likes Hanagata! wowie! I'm pretty sure she told me once that it was unintentional, but she thought it was pretty funny. So that was her first post.. makes sense. She really has dropped off the earth hasn't she :(

Ah Hanako.. He is always good for a laugh. If an episode is dragging, it's just a matter of waiting for him to show up. Somehow the first time I watched the series it took me longer than it should have to realize just how much he was after Otaru. It seemed a lot more blatant the second time.

That's strange though since the first episode I saw was the ep in J to X with the Special Item.. I think I erased that episode from my memory when we started watching SMJ and I didn't remember that I'd seen it until we finished SMJ and went to J2X.. suddenly it dawned on me that I had seen that one before LOL

13. Reisti Skalchaste

A Saber Marionette J episode dragging? Never!

[EDIT]Special Item? I don't remember any mention of a "Special Item." What, pray tell, would it be? Or would I rather not know?[/EDIT]

14. Xel

Xel New Member

Oh! Oh! I know! Maybe... Hanagata has some sort of strange superhuman immunity to most physical violence, but that's somehow bypassed through Kamatarou's similar genetic code!

You, uh... probably don't want to know. >.> And if you do, you've probably blocked it out of your memory like Mamiya has.

15. MamiyaOtaru

Like I had, until I saw the episode again :)

/me points and laughs Fanboy! Fanboy! [/irony]

16. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Hanagata: Oh, this is just perfect! It will be my SPECIAL ITEM! (turns to shopkeep) Can I have this?

Shopkeep: No.

--------

Wow. This topic had me go off to find another great historic Hana post on the boards, where we reminisced on our favorite Mitsurugi quotes, even focusing on his frequent use of engrish:
    http://www.boards.jp/forums/showthread.php?t=1623

Edit: And now I'm just frightened. That was another posting landmark for Aoi. Her 666th post.... o_O

17. Reisti Skalchaste

Oh! Now I get it! It was either that purple scarf, or the event that made me feel bad for Cherry and Bloodberry. I can't remember exactly what it was, but I know I felt bad for them.

Yeah, so? Saber Marionette J is the greatest accomplishment of all mankind. Compared to it, everything is crap. Shakespeare? Utter garbage. J.R.R. Tolkien? Not worth reading. But don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading the Lord of the Rings, and nitpicking the movie;), and Shakespeare does manage some interesting stuff (like Hamlet), however, Saber Marionette J is just THAT much better. Yes, I'm a fanboy, but that's nothing to laugh about. I like what I like, and Saber Marionette J tops everything. Can you blame me for being a fanboy of the greatest anime series in the world?

Now for the obligatory reversal, even though I agree with him: I'm a fanboy? You're the one who named yourself after Otaru, and used an avatar featuring him! (Although I actually am a fanboy)

If you check this thread: http://www.mangatoanime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13810&page=1&pp=15, you will see the extent of both mine, and BakaMattSu's fanboyism. (I hope he doesn't get mad at me for calling attention to it.)

[EDIT/] Looking back to the thread Baka mentioned, I noticed a post of his:
    Number one: One of the girls says, either in the manga or the anime, (I can't remember) "You do it to yourself."

Number two, three, and four: Out of context, these sound kind of... wrong.

Number five: Only nine? Impossible, he has to have at least 100.

These are some interesting quotes though.

18. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Whoa there, calm down. ^^

MO was just kidding around. Note the [/irony] closing tag above? He's a fan like we are, too, and your "reversal" was the same thing he was noting when he added that tag.

Besides, I like the fanboy title, don't you?

/me points at his Custom Title. Fanboy! Fanboy! Fanboy!

And yes, it's the purple ribbon. ^^

19. MamiyaOtaru

what BMS said :anime: I figured my nic and avatar were pretty healthy clues that I was joking. You gotta read the whole post before hitting 'reply' ;)

So yeah, I've no problem with fanboys (and girls). We can all hang out here and be happy.

I felt bad for Cherry and Bloodberry because of the purple scarf hehe.

20. Reisti Skalchaste

Yeah, just as your quip was a joke, so was my reversal.

I know exactly what you are talking about. That purple scarf was a source of much pain for all involved. Emotional or physical, there was much pain involved.

An interesting fact: The vocal soundtrack of J to X contains two songs sung by Hanagata, as well as their karaoke counterparts. Kuri Hiroi and Iyokan. They're actually very good songs, despite what the citizens of Japoness might say.