Yu-Gi-Oh! On the subject of Yami Bakura...

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Dilandau, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

A little background: Ryou Bakura holds the Millenium Ring, in which resides an evil spirit referred to as "Yami Bakura" (Dark Bakura) - just as there is Yami Yugi, the spirit once trapped within Yugi's Millenium Puzzle. Yugi's darker side has been popularly dubbed simply "Yami" since very early in the fandom.

So, why is it that Yami Bakura so often gets called "Bakura"?

Think about it. This is effectively calling him by his host's surname - it's tantamount to calling Yami Yugi "Mutou," or Yami Malik "Ishtar." It doesn't make any sense. Ryou Bakura has practically lost the use of his family name, and in fanfics across the internet refers to his oftentimes-tormentor (and/or lover) by his own surname!

This strikes me as a little bit weird. It's like Yami Bakura is being called "Thompson" or "Brown" or "McPherson." o_O; And... everybody seems to take that for granted. I think the only reason it's so popular is really that it doesn't sound weird to us, it's not a family name that we (non-Japanese fans) inherently recognize.

So how do you feel about the lack of a proper, seperate name for Yami Bakura? What do you call him? Do you call Ryou Bakura only by his given name, to distinguish him from his yami?

(Incidentally, a friend of mine has taken to calling him Kage, or Bakura-Kage - "kage" means "shadow." ^^)

2. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

Well I always called him Bakura, simply because in the anime (which I've seen much more of then the manga) I don't recall them ever giving us his full name, so I assumed his first name was 'Bakura'. I usually, however, refer to Yami Bakura as, well, Yami Bakura, since I originally thought that was his name. Just as I'd call Yugi "Yami Yugi", though shortening it to Yami works because most people instantly know who you're talking about when you say Yami (another strange observation- since Yugi isn't the only character with a Yami, why does he get that nickname?)

Before I can go any further, I must ask: Is Bakura referred to as "Bakura" in the Japanese version or as "Ryou?"

[Edit: and on a completely random side note, this is my 500th post! *does a jig*]

3. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I can say that the Japanese anime also does the Bakura thing but with Ryou I think. Need to check. I look at it like this Bakura and Yami Bakura are in one place/body. So naturally calling Bakura and Yami Bakura just Bakura is okay. Just like Malik and Yami Malik are Malik. Until there is more story about the spirts history like Yami it will probably stay that way.

Basher

4. Dilandau

I can see the justification of other people doing it, sort of... Given that Yami Bakura hasn't been given a name of his own. But what gets me is when Ryou does it, in fanfics and whatnot. o_O;; Strikes me as really friggin' weird and illogical.

5. Fushigi Rockna

They call Bakura by his last name in the japanese version. I guess Jounouchi started it. him being like the 'bad boy' of japanese culture (him and Honda) they always call some people by their last names (at least each other. They want other people to as well) Jounouchi started calling Bakura by his last name and I believe girls started calling him bakura-kun (which makes COMPLETE sense) and i guess they liked the sound of Bakura more.

And Yuugi and co. Don't tend to realize WHEN Bakura turns into his yami form. (Same with how Yuugi turns into yami, but they're catching on) Because THEY don't see the change in appearance or soemtimes the change in voice (I don't think they notice the voice as much). Actually, they really DON'T change in appearance, they just change so the audience understands 'oh, yami's out.' Ya get what i'm trying to say?

But that's screwed in fanfics where Ryou calls his yami, Bakura. Why can't they just have him clal it his dark side or his yami? (That's what I tend to do. but I don't have them tlaking to each other o_O)

6. Dilandau

Right, the use of the family name in lieu of the given name is completely logical, in the Japanese culture - I was a bit surprised that it carried over to the crappy dub, in fact. XD

And of course, it's completely fitting that other characters would continue to address the spirit of the Millenium Ring as "Bakura" when they don't differentiate him from his host.

The whole thing that gets to me is when someone DOES know the difference, and yet they still call him Bakura. o_O There's just no sense in that. The only justification I've heard from fans is "it's easier to call them Bakura and Ryou than Bakura and Yami Bakura." Um... >_> Maybe, but damn, doesn't accuracy/logic mean anything? XD

7. Fushigi Rockna

Well fanfics...don't always make sense. :p Hell my fanfics don't make sense a lot of times even...

Ya know, honestly, i don't think Bakura even HAS converstations with his Yami. Except for that one time in the manga, but every other time before that apparently he could nevr speak with his yami. And he certainly can't speak with him FREELY. Yami Bakura decides on when to speak to his host. XD

8. Fushigi Rockna

Pardon the double post but I was recently reminded of this thread...

Not only are fans calling Yami Bakura just Bakura (and omote Bakura, Ryou) but they've adopted this for Malik too. Yami Malik is now known as Ishtar. o_O

DANGGGGGGGG people are lazy! it doesn't take long to write 'Yami' next to a persn's name. -_- jebus....