Current Affairs One vote, yet congress fails again

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nightmare, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

2. Luffy

Luffy I Can See A New Horizon

so the congress is saying its OK to burn te US flag thats crap right there they aparntly dont care if the flag is lit on fire or any hting else which is lame but there desicin so what ever

3. Jackabee

Jackabee Captain Jackabee Sparrow

Ah yes but I personally say that if you put every single issue in the constitution, you end up with a constitution like Alabama's. Alabama has one of the longest(if not the longest) constitutions in the world. Why? Because every little issue gets put in there. Our state constitution is rediculous. Just to give you an idea, our state constitution is to amendment... well actually there have been some added since this site was updated(one of which being a ban on gay marriage). Sure I don't agree with flag burning, but making an amendment for it in the country's constitution seems stupid.

I wonder the terminology used in that amendment anyway. One of the forms of proper flag disposal once a flag was faded or frayed, was to burn it... usually the Boy Scouts do so once a year.

4. Chane

Chane Audience of One

So... people are allowed to burn a piece of cloth...

BIG
    ****ING
    DEAL

5. Luffy

Luffy I Can See A New Horizon

its not a piece of cloth its the flag the represents you COUNTRY!!!! if you want to burn it MOVE SOMWHERE ELSE!!!!!!

6. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Blind patriotism really tweaks my sh*t.

Seems cut and dry to me. Congress shall make no law... ...Abridging the freedom of speech.

Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech.

Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech.

Did you get that?

Does it make it "right" to burn flags? No, it doesn't. Do it piss me off when ignorant collage students do it? Yes, it does. Should congress pass a law prohibiting it? No and hell no.

You guys want to support some forms of freedom of speech yet reject others? That's hypocritical. As foul as it is, burning the flag is making a political statement against the government- something that all citizens have a right, have a DUTY, to do.

Every goddamned sailor, soldier and marine who's gone overseas in the name of our country has fought for our right to keep these basic freedoms. People have died for the right to keep the freedom of telling your government off and you guys are upset that Congress did the right thing and maintained that spirit?

Love your country and love the pure unabashed freedoms everyone has, and be thankful that the spirit our founding fathers struggled so hard to establish is still respected even to this very day.

Shame on you all.

~W

1 person likes this.
  7. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

I don't think burning a flag is that BIG of a DEAL, but it's disrespect. Like Wertitis is pointing out (or is saying..) Respect your country, we should burn those guys just for doing that. I wouldn't cry a tear for the bastards.

8. Chane

Chane Audience of One

And if you want to put all of your blind patriotism into a decorative piece of cloth, than you are a bigger fool than the person who thinks they are creating a message by burning it. To put everything you believe into such a meaningless symbolism is utterly moronic.

9. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Oi... [shaking his head]

You're missing my point entirely. I said that I advocate the freedom of speech in all it's forms, not the burning of the flag OR the killing of those who do so. It upsets me to see people do it mainly because College students are sheep and will blindly follow whichever person has the best bleeding heart sob story- they're doing something without fully realizing what they are doing. It's thier right to do so, but the ignorance behind thier actions is without equal.

[sigh]

Meaningless symbolism? The flag itself is nothing more than a peice of cloth stained with certain colors to show a pattern. The ideas behind it, the spirit, what's gone into that symbol, are far from "meaningless".

For those of us away from home, out 'defending' our country, that flag is a symbol of everything we leave behind. It's a symbol of our families and friends, our homes, where we grew up, the dreams and ideals we left behind. That decorative piece of cloth carries hundreds of years of hopes and dreams of the men who died under it. Our grandfathers, our parents, sacrificed under it. Do you understand what that really means? They endured weeks and months of misery on the battlefield for those ideals. They were cold, hungry and sick and the only reward they got for thier efforts was the promise of the loss of a limb or a bullet to the chest.

But that didn't stop them. Many men died unimaginable deaths under that flag because they believed that it meant something, and it was important enough for them to place thier lives, thier hopes and dreams, on the line.

Are you really just going to sit there and spit on that?

That flag is a symbol of everyones who's sacrificed for our country. Everyone who died, everyone went missing and never came back, those who were P.O.W.s, that flag represents their sacrifices- things most of us will never even being to imagine.

Burning our flag is p*ssing all over that. College student war protesters don't realize this. They don't have an inkling what they are doing. God bless them for excercising thier right to use thier voice, but God damn them for choosing to be so ignorant.

Sheep.

~W

10. Chane

Chane Audience of One

If you need something physical for as dumb a reason as that, this country really -is- hopeless.

11. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

*Yawns* My honest opinion? Burning a flag is like spitting at someone. It's low, unneeded and mostly barbaric. It's striking out with what you have, even if it's nothing devastating. Yet, even with something so seemingly obtuse, it's getting tons of coverage. I mean, if I burn a flag, will I get TV time? I'll do it then. :D

I remember once in my community there was a small group of older teens who claimed to be 'Devil Worshippers'. One's name was Eric and I used to spend alot of time around him when I was nine or so. Anyway, they ended up burning a stack of bibles in front of the church and were arrested. Why? Not because it's illegal to do so, but because they had 'damaged church property' by cinging the lawn, scorching the steps, etc.

Now, you know the church goers were shocked. They were scared and appalled and such..But it's free speech. Everything is free speech nowadays. It's stupid how much we can get away with in this country. You just don't know. I think the flag means more to some then others, but as a country as a whole, you should know to show it respect. It's like being Christian, and not being just alittle distraught when someone burns a bible.

If you don't like the establishment, why not work to make it better? Burning a flag never did anything so monumental as change the world. It usually just get's it's 15 minutes on the news and is done with.

1 person likes this.
  12. shinigami

shinigami The Dark Prince

then what you are saying that you have no pride for your country if you think that it is alright to burn a flag

13. KaYasha

KaYasha I'm Boelak Yrubron

Who cares... America Blows Anyway. ;) Sorry to say.. I think an amendment on the burning of the flag is the least of the worries people should be thinking about.

1 person likes this.
  14. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

i'm a guessing there is nothing else important to make an amendment out of... they needed to do something..... "so an idea popped up "oh wow lets make burning the flag a huger deal than it already is!"

1 person likes this.
  15. Chane

Chane Audience of One

I'm saying I don't put my pride in a piece of cloth. It doesn't hurt anything unless some idiot lets it bother them.

16. Cylor

Cylor New Member

'Cause I don't have enough enemies yet.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

Lol..that picture just made my day.

18. Samurai Me

Samurai Me New Member

oooooooooooooooooooh Wertis beat me to it lol. I couldn't have said it better, nor even close.Wertis has put it in plain english, if you don't get it then your kinda lost.....or are just not really looking.