Martial Arts Open Handed vs. Weapons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hitohiro, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

Which kind of martial arts is more effective, open handed or weapons? True, it all depends on the situation one is in, but still, I present the question to you anyways.

2. Lance Leingod

Lance Leingod The White Blade

Open handed fighting is always close combat. Weapons vary on what you use but you can get hurt by them yourself. You also need to be skilled on how to use weapons or how to fight open handed.

On how effective it is, weapons would be good if you wanted to kill.

3. Fudge_Monkeys

Fudge_Monkeys www.boards.jp

It depends what kind of weapon. Like a staff a open handed man could win. But i mean cmon if a guy has a sword The open handed man would get owned unless possible your jackie chan or jet lee

4. Samurai Me

Samurai Me New Member

Well actually, there are alot of techniques for disarming someone with a sword. Shinkage Ryu is famous for its No Sword technique. But I would have to go with the weapons, because it would take a man of great speed in reading his opponents moves to know were to duck and dodge. But if the guy had a gun lol, old weapons are worthless, and if you beg to differ lol...I got some stories for ya lol

5. Wolfwood

Wolfwood New Member

You wont always have a weapon, but you'll always have ya mitts. Learning to fight with your bare hands is the only way to be.

6. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

hrm... lesee.... i think both are necessary in the course of martial arts training.

open handed trains your body to move and be able to dodge and it also trains your body to adopt a good solid fighting position.

weapons are an extension to your body. they arent simply an item but an extension of you. learning to wield a staff or sword in a fight had infinite possibilities.