Creative Writing opening a story

Discussion in 'Written Arts' started by Bloodberry, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

this is my one real huge hang up. i love writing, but can never start a story. i get stuck and loose the train i was on...any good advise? *^-^*

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Can't start?

Hmmm....The start of the story is that part I usually have the least problem with. My most problematic writing used to be the ending....Still, with planning ahead, I've managed to make the actual middle now my biggest task...

It sounds like you're thinking your train of thought has been derailed before it even left the station! Give it a chance to get some forward motion.

There are usually two ways I get stories to start - the first is to slowly glide in, and the second is to jump in...each follow a usual pattern...

To Glide In - start your story slowly. Open with a description of unrelated events or scenery, and slowly narrow down to focus on the first thing that happens. In this case, you slowly coax the readers into your story...

To Jump In - start in the middle of some action. This could be someone yelling "Hurry Up, or I'll leave you behind!" to his companions that follow him. Or mayhaps the thrust of a dagger into somebody's gut. In this case, you vividly and quickly draw the reader into your story...

I'm no top-notch writer, but I guess what I mean to say is to determine just what gets the ball rolling (what is that called, the inciting force?) and don't even think about what you write as a "beginning"...just give that ball a shove and it should go where it needs to...

BakaMattSu, more hot air than than a Zepplin...

3. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

well, that's just me tho..*^-^*

ok, not that it gets derealed so much as i keep hitting the "this sounds stupid" thought..heh...should practice nothing but opening para's for a while...might get more comfy with em,....yes yes...

thanks for the help*^-^*

4. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

My advice is not to worry about something sounding stupid. You can always go back and do an edit if your first draft doesn't seem right. I wrote somthing last year that I went through eight drafts before I finished it.

5. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

My 2 cent

I find it much easier to write if I have some characters already planned out in my head. Their personalities, histories, and what's going to happen to them. Don't think anything seems stupid, it could turn out good, or even hilarious. Also once you start, don't stop until you think you're done(last story I wrote, I was up untill 2:30 on a school night finishing, but even that wasn't enough). Feel free to disregard any or all of the above. It's my style, I advise you to get your own.

6. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Dude, you're a genius. That's exactly how I write! I guess great minds think alike, as they say. Or was it empty minds ...
    I'll let you decide where we fit in.

7. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

that's kinda how i write too. i like it to be organized out...and i just get it into my head that it needs to right the first time. loads of writing classes should have broken that! lol thnkx