Outlaw Star Universe Outlaw Star VS. Cowboy Bebop

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Billy277, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

On a couple of my Cowboy Bebop DVDs, there are some promo ads for Outlaw Star, an anime that seems very similar to Cowboy Bebop in many ways - Both take place in space, both main characters are bounty hunters and both have 26 episodes.

So, to people who've seen both: I really liked Cowboy Bebop, so would I like Outlaw Star? What are the differences between the shows?

2. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

Outlaw Star is comedy/drama like Bebop, but a lot of it is filler -- and you can tell. The plot is good, but I found that the series seemed to drag on through filler adventure after filler adventure before picking up again.

However, OLS is still enjoyable, a story about bounty hunters, like Bebop, but a bit less refined. The spaceship battles are quite different -- head to head fights with "Grappler Arms", extensions that make it look like the ships are punching each other. There are also quite a few raunchy jokes and a good amount of innuendo, and overall some good comedy. And some parts are just weird: can't forget the "naked woman in a tube" ship control elements... this has to be seen to be believed.

Though similar, OLS is really very different from Bebop, and worth a look. It's not as outright "cool" as Bebop, but it isn't a bad series.

3. Sesshomisao

Sesshomisao Poison Girl

I have only ever seen 1 episode of Cowboy Bebop....and all of Outlaw Star....so i would have to say that i like Outlaw Star better....^___^

Misao

[​IMG]

4. Naomi-Chan

Naomi-Chan New Member

Yes Bebop and OLS are a lot alike but they are also different. But i can't say which one is better because i personally like both of them a lot. So i recomend both Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop :D

5. Fuuma

Fuuma New Member

didyakno....

1) Outlaw Star was the anime to get me hooked on Anime for the rest of my life.
    2) Its opening theme is da bomb
    3) I like naked tube women
    4) Outlaw Star is based on the book *Treasure Island* though roughly. I read about it in the August issue of Newtype *american* on pg. 57 lol

6. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Well, one of the things I really liked about Cowboy Bebop was that, even though Spike was the "main" character, all five main characters got quite a bit of airtime, even Ein! It created a really fantastic group dynamic.

I'm not exactly sure who the heroes of Outlaw Star are, so are there more besides Gene and Jim (I think those are their names), or do those two get most of the spotlight?

7. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

There's also Aisha, Suzuka, and Melfina as "heroes". I will not go into their characters because I don't want to spoil any of the story, but none of them, except Melfina, get as much airtime as Gene and Jim. They have their own little scenes and intro episodes, and Aisha is a lead in one other episode that I can remember, but they certainly aren't focused on as much as the two main leads. The character Hilda is also pretty important, but she's not in many episodes.

Melfina is an important character, so she gets a lot of focus. If you want to know why she's so important, you need to watch OLS. :) I'm not gonna spoil it for you.

8. whitedragon2

whitedragon2 New Member

okay all i have to say is that both cb and ols rock
    i think they are both alike but have thier differences that make the characters better in the anime itself
    but if i had to choose which to watch i would choose ols i think it just has more of the treasure hunting type thing to it that makes it good plus gene i think is alittle bit better at being a bounty hunter than spike even though spike has those cool martial arts moves and is really slick :D

9. Odin

Odin Member

I've seen both series all the way through, and I have to say that I enjoy Cowboy Bebop a lot more (though I was also pleasantly surprised and entertained by Outlaw Star).

-Odin

10. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

I don't know... I think Cowboy Bebop is much more popular (not that that means anything) and it has great story, animation, characters, music, and just about everything is perfect... but Outlaw Star is really good too. So, it's a tie!

11. Kamui

Kamui X//1999... best anime eva

Man... hands down... it all goes to Bebop.... nothin can rival the awsomeness of it.

Cowboy Bebop is hillarious and a great action anime at the same time...

12. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

I don't think there's really much to compare.Cowboy Bebop is the absolute best.Period.Outlaw Star was good,though.Just not good enough.:D

13. WolfDemonAyame

WolfDemonAyame New Member

I have to say it's a tie. they both were awesome. bebop seemed more deep and outlaw seemed more humorous. they both have their good and bad points. (not that I can think of any bad points in either of em but oh well) but if I HAD to choose I would say bebop.

14. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Re: didyakno....

Now that I think of it, ya Outlaw Star does seem like Treasure Island!

hmmm.. it's a touch choice but I like Cowboy Bebop a lot more because it isn't as far out there as Outlaw Star is. I remember laughing when I heard the name Ronald MacDougall too :p Cowboy Bebop has better music too.. Yoko Kanno, huzzah \^-^/

15. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy New Member

Exactly.:cool:

16. angel's tears

angel's tears New Member

i'd have to go with cowboy bebop i haven't seen the whole outlaw star so i guess i might change my mind.

17. Havikar

Havikar New Member

I though i read some time ago some of the people who did cowboy bebop did outlaw star to. lol alot of the same voice actors to at least for the dubbing.

lol i can say i think cb and ols both have some of the best dubbing for an anime

but in all out ols is my fav

18. ZakoSoldier

ZakoSoldier Zeon Commander

I always loved it it was the same for me except that I saw it first since I let him barrow it. I got the entire thing for my 11th b-day the day I got it i wanted to see the episode they didn't show on toonami because it was never shown that I found out why:eek: