ovas or regular series??

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by LiLd3vil4u, Oct 15, 2002.

1. LiLd3vil4u

LiLd3vil4u New Member

Which drawing style do you think is better...the kenshin ovas, or the regular rurouni kenshin?

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I think the fights in the OVA surpass the series. If only because it's more...errr...samurai? (Izzy refuses to think of the the words: "bloody, gory fun!") Well, yeah, it's more realistic. But, in the series and the movie, you get to see the cool anime-styled special techniques: "Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu! Ryu Tsu Sen!" And then he spins really fast and cuts through the bad guys defense...

3. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

I liked the fights in the OVA, but I love the drawings in the anime [except that I find it kinda cheep quiality ^^;], but still I love it ^^

4. LiLd3vil4u

LiLd3vil4u New Member

I actually have not seen the ovas yet, but I have seen the videos and I think I like the fight scenes better in ovas, but I like the story line better in the anime. and I like the drawing style in both. Thank you for your comments, :D now I cant wait to see the ovas, which means lots of pestering for my brother. hehe. He'll get over it though.

5. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I think that the OVA's have a lot more detail in the artwork, but as well the art seems to be a bit darker. This is probly to give that mood to the audience... The art in the series is a bit lower quality than the OVA's but has a lighter nature to it methinks.

6. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Yeah, beside, the anime is bit long, that's why the drawings aren't that much good..but I like the funng faces!! :catgirl:

7. sailorvenus

sailorvenus 24 days to go...^^

I like the fights in the OVA's, but I also find the artwork in the anime more nicer. :D

8. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

Ofcourse the ova's have high quality animation and drawing. The fighting scenes drawing were great like the scene where Shinta and Enishi ... That was a great!!! But when I saw the character designs of the RK characters. Well some were not that great, like Koaru. She really looked old :s!! But I cant saw that every character didnt look good in the ova's. For example, look at sano ::drool::

9. thunder dragon

thunder dragon dragon king

yea ..i didnt like the art of the series the OVA's better..the art i liked the most is the manga,the characters looks very good in it,its high quality :) ..

10. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

but...

If you compare the series in length to the OVA's the series is a lot longer, so they would have been able to put more budgetting and time into the OVA's artwork...

Still, the animation quality matters not! It's still my fave series :cool:

11. ChaosBurnFlame

ChaosBurnFlame New Member

how could there be scenes of Shinta and Enishi? Enishi never met Shinta ???

The OVA's are crap. Sure, they have LAIN style animation, but are badly ripped from the manga. The first OVA took away ALOT of the personality between Kenshin and Tomoe thus lost alot of the interaction between the two. The Second OVA... is a non-canon piece of crap that spit in the face of the true series.

I'd rather have canon and ok animation than non-canon excellent animation.

12. Odin

Odin Member

I personally like the Rurouni Kenshin OVA's "Betrayal" and "Trust" art style to the TV show. I've never read the manga, so I have nothing to compare them to, like ChaosBurnFlame.

***possible spoilers ahead***

I also find the plot the first OVA much more dramatic and moving to me overall to the TV series, though that DEFINITELY has its moments (one of my favorite of which is when Kenshin learns the Hiten Mitsurugi Style's ultimate technique, and almost kills Hiko).

***end spoilers***

ChaosBurnFlame, what else happens in the manga between Kenshin and Tomoe that the anime fails to show?
    -odin

13. ChaosBurnFlame

ChaosBurnFlame New Member

Not much except for... EVERYTHING! Tomoe had a dry sarcasm about her in the manga and Kenshin was easily ticked off and self righteous. It made an interesting interaction dynamic.

14. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Not to mention the fact that the OVAs skip the whole heart of the story from which the scene was ripped...that is, the Revenge plot of Enishi. The whole Hitokiri episode involving Tomoe happens when Kenshin tells the whole tale to Kaoru, Yahiko, Sano and company. It's only a backdrop to a larger storyline...

15. wolf_of_mibu

wolf_of_mibu New Member

i love the manga art best. ^^ its really great!! i havent read the part where kenshin met tomoe but i have read the enishi fight. the art kicks ***!! which really pisses me off if any of you watched the 2nd OAV series. the OAV's kenshin/enishi fight was so quick by the time you finish scratching (anything! ^^) its done.

16. Odin

Odin Member

What exactly IS the second OVA about? All I've heard is that it's supposed to focus on Kenshin's son (and Kenshin is off to fight in . . .eh . . the Russo-Japanese War?)

And when is it going to come to the United States?

It's a shame that the first OVA's didn't match up with the manga. But it happens . . .
    -Odin

17. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

*****SPOILERS AHEAD*****

Actually, there's not many points where you see Kenshin's son in the second OVA. You see him, but it's primarily you seeing Kenshin's trouble through the series, and his finale in general. It's his trek from...China (?) to Japan with flashbacks, with him and Kaoru suffering. I'm not saying anything else than that.