Reviews Pastel (Manga Review)

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by artemis836, Mar 14, 2008.

1. artemis836

artemis836 Vampire Slayer

Series: Pastel
    Release Date: 12/27/05 (vol. 1) - Still active
    Genre: Shonen situation comedy
    Writer: Toshihiko Kobayashi
    Creator: Toshihiko Kobayashi
    Number of Volumes: 15 currently, 11 have been translated and released in the USA

Overview:
    Mugi Tadano is a normal 16 year old with good natured heart and an empty head. After his girlfriend moves to Tokyo, ending their relationship, he's heartbroken and gets a job at a surf shop working for his aunt. There he meets Yuu, the girl of his dreams, who he almost instantly mortally offends and ruins his chances with. When a tragedy pulls the two back together, will he be able to tell her how he feels or is he destined to a lonely ackward life forever.

Personal Opinion:
    Without spoiling the series I'm going to come right out and say one thing, this bares a striking resemblance in many ways to Love Hina. Now I must admit I read a lot of Love Hina and even worse, I enjoyed it. So keep that in mind when considering this review.

The art is excellent, even supurb at times. Toshihiko Kobayashi clearly knows his craft. He does keep it simple, don't expect the lavish scenery of Miazaki, but well its a romantic comedy so thats just fine. It must be pointed out that he really has the human form down and many frames are just plain beautiful. I've gotten into many a series and had to ignore its somewhat lacking art, the Big O manga comes to mind. Its refreshing in a market so flushed with substandard art work to see someone who knows what they're doing.

As for the plot, well its a romantic comedy about a guy who keeps getting wacked around for falling into situations that make him look like a pervert. If you go in expecting some real deep stuff you WILL be disappointed but if you're looking for an amusing little page turner with some great body shots (ahem) then this is a series you should pick up.

Final Score: (B-)
    Fun times but not a must have.