CLAMP Works Perfect?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by RikkuxMasho, Oct 26, 2003.

1. RikkuxMasho

RikkuxMasho New Member

Haven't you guys noticed in CLAMP's manga their drawings are... FLAWLESS? I mean, PERFECT?! THAT'S SO AMAZING!

2. Kos-Mos

Kos-Mos New Member

Usually they're well drawn, but I woudn't call it perfect. I myself love it and see it that way, but then my sister thinks it's retarded because she doesn't like the big elegant type thing. But anyway, I agree with you for the most part.

3. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

It's quite common to draw in rough before finalizing an artwork ^__^ but yes, CLAMP's work is beautiful.

4. Sesshomisao

Sesshomisao Poison Girl

lets just put it this way...it takes alot of practice and my friend draws mangas like CLAMP.....first he draws the pic in pencil and when he gets it the way he wants he traces in pen or sharpie...and if wanted adds color...so yes..I would say that there mangas and drawings are flawless and beautiful...

Misao

5. Kos-Mos

Kos-Mos New Member

I agree. The eyes especially. BUT, there is one thing I dont like. Call me picky, but, at least in x, I dont really like the way they make the boy's shoulders so far out there. It adds a great effect, but It just annoys the crap out of me.

6. Osaka

Osaka New Member

I don't really like X's drawings at all.

but, meh, that's just me. :p

I REALLY like chobit's art, but it does get sort of boring after a while.

I like the anime better because its more simple-looking.

When something has too much detail, then it looks boring instead of pleaseing. :)

7. Furi_Kuri

Furi_Kuri New Member

I agree with Osaka I don’t like it when pictures have too much detail on them, give me a sketchy drawing any day :p .

Im unfortunately not able to buy many clamp comics because they aren’t really hot in England could someone scan a page in so I know what you’re talking about plz :D ??

8. Type0

Type0 New Member

clamp style is indeed very good. But flawless is a matter of opinion:) . I personaly prefer the style of lone wolf and cub comics,or either todd mcfalanes, or frank millers work, i just find it more vivid and powerful to look at(i know there not manga) but id say it has more of an emphasis on scene, frames and layout. Personally i think someone like katsuhiro otomos work is more flawless and jaw droppingly amazing - for a manga.:)

9. sourcherriz

sourcherriz New Member

Yes I have noticed. I've got alot of their books and they are all perfect, well close. I like Chobits best!

10. Genma

Genma New Member

I like CCS myself

11. Shadowhawk

Shadowhawk New Member

There was an INKBLOT in Chobits!!!!!!! *dances* MWAHAHAHA!!!
    but it's otherwise flawless. ¬.¬ damn them.....

12. The Jackal

The Jackal New Member

It seems flawless, but it might not be exactly like it was intended sometimes (you know, when you draw something and everyone says its good but you don't like it becuse its not what you wanted it to be like?)
    and it's not perfect if you don't like the style.
    personally I think its gorgeous though, especially CCS and Rayearth.

13. Lime

Lime Claude ish MY honey ^.^

Now. Now. Absolutly -nothing- is perfect. Even Sakura from CCS seemed like she was perfect and could do anything -- She really isn't. Though, I hate that impression that she gives us that she is. ):

Anyway.

Doing art like this is -extremely- time consuming. I read an interview with CLAMP ( Twas translated in English ) -- And they said a page or two takes about a day to sketch and prefect to the way they want it. However, think about it. Most likely they sketch the whole entire manga out first, then go over it in pen. Sketching is simple, and so they probably get a lot more pages done in a day. But then penning it over is so much more work and takes so much more time. Thinking about it, and unfortuantly all my CLAMP manga is at my dormmm. . . their manga is mostly about, 100 something pages? Meaning, one manga would probably take over two-three months to complete. o:

14. Kawaii-neko163

Kawaii-neko163 New Member

art...

Lime I must agree with you. It takes a really long time for an artist to draw even a small picture it can take a very long time!! For me unless I'm happy with a picture I give up easily on them. But anyway, I drew a picture from Fruits Basket of Yuki and just of his head and shoulders and it took hours!! I drew it in pencil first then I went over it in India ink and with a caligraphi pen. (i didn't spell that right but whatever...u no what I'm talking about) Details are there so you can enjoy it better and it makes the picture seem more beautiful. If you get bored seeing all the details then maybe you should watch something like the powerpuff girls. or maybe read archie comics. Anyway, just enjoy whatever manga you're reading and remember that a group of people or one person took a lot of time into putting together that book that you'll most likely finish in less than an hour while it took them months to create. Enjoy what's in front of you because, as an artist, when I know there are people out there enjoying my art and liking it I feel happy and want to do more. And every time an artist draws they get better and better! You can sometimes see those changes in their mangas. ah...ja ne. oyasuminasi!! :anime:

15. kapitanbar

kapitanbar Member

Clamp's artwork is quite clean, for example in Chobits or Angelic Layer. I don't think it was flawless. The group of four women choose to draw like it just to add their own difference in style from any other manga. After all they began making fanarts from mangas they liked when they were young.

I don't like the style they use in stories like X or Miyukichan in wonderland but that's a very personal opinion. Their work is excellent anyways

16. chaotic_beauty

chaotic_beauty New Member

CLAMP is probably one of the many of maybe few art geniuses in this world. their art is quite exquisite though i wont call it perfect...according to the post above, the artists have to spend a lot of time so that their would finish like that so i guess its not that perfect...and besides i agree with the thing about nothing's perfect except...god.

17. bluefuzyslipper

bluefuzyslipper New Member

I LOVE CLAMP'S WORK!!!!! Their people are awesome. They could add a little more variety of people in there though. Like all the boys have broad shoulders, and all the girls are pretty. That would be funny if they drew an ugly person ( I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder). Personally, one day I would love to be as good at drawing as they are. I like pictures with alot of details, because you can never get bored looking at them. It takes me forever to read one of their books becuase I love to look at the pictures.

I will say this.... CLAMP is the bomb when it comes to people, but Rumiko Takahashi's backgrounds are AWESOME!!! :catgirl:

18. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

Nobody is perfect, but some come closer than others. (Like CLAMP.)
    I mean, CLAMP and Takahashi are considered among the best manga ka in Japan, but when you look at their art styles, CLAMP is more detailed. For instance, in Chobits, each strand of Chi's hair is drawn and everything does sort of look perfect.

19. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

It all depends on the book. I mean Chobits was one of the most beautiful drawn pieces ive ever seen especially the detail but some of the other books like wish were not completely drawn to my likings...

20. Sanyu

Sanyu Member

I've tryed drawing CLAMP, or something related to it if not CLAMP. I have to admit, it took ages just to do the pencil, and I made some mistakes that I went over in pen.. :sweat2: But overall, though people said it was really good, I denied that, because it looked so much different to the picture I was basing it on. I changed a lot but even the parts with loads of detail I drew seemed like scribble compared to the basic picture I was trying to illistrate.

It's reeeeally hard for me to draw and I'd say CLAMP comes pretty close to perfect. If I didnt believe nothing was perfect then I'd have to say it is, when it comes to manga.

BTW, I agree with the Sakura thing, it annoys me how she makes herself seem perfect, too (and I hope I worded that right).

--Beauty :catgirl: