Music pop punk/punk revival

Discussion in 'Music' started by Bloodberry, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

what's everyone think about his? bands like the hives, vines, mxpx, modest mouse(i think), and other such are gaining popularity. expusure for them is really picking up, what's everyone think about the current "punk"sih trend? personally, i'm just glad it's not techno, this way i can tell the jerk i work with "i told you techno is only popular in your head"...(note, some techno is ok, i dono' tmind stuff like bt or moby, but well, he only plays the annoying stuff...

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Well, it's good to hear that it's gaining more publicity. Heh, I was with the trend and I didn't even know it. And at least Blink182 isn't on tops of everyone's list anymore. Gah, got tired of them. Anyway, like I said, 'tis good to hear, m'lady.

Listener of A Fire Inside. Their new stuff is good. :D

3. GenericHero5

GenericHero5 All Ska Super Star

Punk....

Punk is the essence of a rebellion, grinding fast, hitting hard, and leaving you reeling.

Bring back ska.

Then I'll be really happy.

4. neoblacklady

neoblacklady ~*Tpyo Godedses*~

I like some of the bands. I like their clothes, hair, their looks. I love the music. the words i can hear and understand.
    im glad its not techno too....i like some techno but not all. just like i like punk but not all. I say at least its not some nother boring one hit wonder. now thats funny. :D well to me anyways.:sweat:

5. rei

rei New Member

ugh. i hate pop punk. and punk as a trend. as for the music today. i dont see them a punk maybe influences by the drive of punk, but isnt the essence of punk rebellion, and what so rebellious about mtv??? and arent the hives not influenced by punk but instead garage band of the late 60s/early 70's???
    i dunno. music is music tho. if it makes you happy, roll with it.

*heart* rei

6. Dark Phire

Dark Phire New Member

there is punk and there is pop punk...i dislike both...pop punk more though because people are trying and butchering the whole image of real punk. since when is being rebelious trendy? i guess now adays, people will do anything they see on TV and not think for themselves....thats another topic though... but hey, whatever floats your boat. your life, your intrests... :shrug:

7. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

heh i know it's not real punk...simply that's the best way to describe the sound to people...real punk will never happen again, least not like the old stuff. there really isn't anything to rebel against other than mtv and the propaganda machines telling us what to think and do.
    but, you still have to admit, at least it's better than true pop. these kids actually write their own stuff for the most part...

8. Juliet0720

Juliet0720 New Member

i like some of the pop punk stuff...but yeah it will never be as good as the ones who started actual punk...but what BB said is right..at least they do write most of their own stuff...and some of the bands do have good music...although some of them shold jsut stop...heh

9. PAnda

PAnda New Member

love old punk

What can I say...the Sex Pistols, Clash, Damned, Boomtown Rats, Elvis Costello, and the whole "STIFF" label freed me from the Disco-junk of the time, and finally gave a voice to my generation...

cheers to all those old codgers!

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :bleed2: :cool: :cool: :cool:

10. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

the hives don't write their own stuff..

and the vines aren't pop punk.. theyre bloody good :)

11. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

I'm not in to punk myself and I can't really comment on it.

But the reality is that well crafted music played by talented musicians very rarely becomes popular.
    I can't remember the last time it happened.

oh and the sex pistols were a load of scat.

12. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

both the hives and the vines annoy me...i just can't get into them...was gonna try the vines, but after hearing one song, i decided, my dad would like em, not me.

13. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

Well I have a brother who is punk.. and i mean Punk. he is not the mainstream.. looks it cool to be punk.. He is in esence punk.

So when we was in highschool i heard all sorts of punk groops. we listened to The Misphits, Bad religion, NO-FX, Gob, Green day,Sublime, Long Beach allstars, melincolie (thats spelt wrong), Blood Hound gang befor the Animal song, planet smashers, and much much more...now this new stuff thats on mainstream TV its the soft core stuff.. and some is alright and some is prety much crap..

KaME

14. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I believe it's Mellincollie. ;)

And yeah, just about more'n half my uncles (the ones 17 and under...) are punkers. They're just fun to hang out with, really. :D

15. C.S.

C.S. Guest

It's great that there is some real rock 'n' roll & punk stuff around again. Most music nowadays is overproduced and sounds too "clean".

I recommend these bands:

Flaming Sideburns - Hallelujah Rock 'n' Rollah
    The Hives - Veni Vidi Vicious
    Sweatmaster - Sharp Cut

More great records here!

16. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

well then

:glazed: i cant say at all that im punk, but i can say that i think that bands like the vines, the hives, and blink 182 are a complete disgrace to the genre. i mean, pop-punk is just horrible. completely off subject, metal is better. in my opinion. whats really annoying is that all the preps out there are think that they are "different" because, oh god!, they listen to linkin park, pod, and chop suey by system of a down! yet i own all but "steal this album (came out 2 days ago) of soads cds! i ask if they have ever heard "sugar" or "spiders", and i just get a blank stare. thank god no one likes tool too much, i know like 4 people that do. thats it. including myself. what really humors me is that one kid in my school thought that tool was "loud and screamed alot". i dont know how much medication he has been taking, but the only song ive heard them scream in is in "the grudge", and it was for 22 seconds. and for loud? i sometimes froget the fact that im listening to them when there songs get quiet. well, this has nothing to do with punk, so, peace out.

17. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

i think the main downside to this current fad is that now every teen thinks they're special and has issues that make them unique..."my mom and dad wouldn't buy me toy when i was 5...i've never been right since"...you know, those kinds? ...sigh...