Music "Prog" VS Progressive.

Discussion in 'Music' started by Meshuggah, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Meshuggah

Meshuggah New Member

I hate "prog" music, it is boring uninspired and dry. In today's Progressive scene there is very little substance. Everything tries to be Dream Theater's "Images and Words" However, there are bands that posess talent. Pain of Salvation,Mr. Bungle,any Post Rock ect. You get this with any genre but Progressive is supposed to mean advancement. These bands are doing the exact opposite. What do you think makes music progressive? This just sparked because a convo somewhere else. What do you think?

2. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

the origin of the term 'progressive' refers to both a progressive style to the band, but also to the technological 'progression' in keyboard/synthesiser technologies. (remember it all started in the late 60's.) so lots of bands that are coined progressive aren't really progressive minded.
    theres been a new sub-genre of progressive music thats been called RIO. or 'Regression in Opposition' that's been started by bands who have the same disdain for unispired crud in prog music. you should probably look into some of these bands.
    anyways, i definetly agree that most bands try to sound like dreamtheater, particularaly in prog metal. but there are good ones if you can dig deep enough. (pain of salvation as you mentioned is one.)

3. Rokuemon

Rokuemon New Member

INteresting. Ijust posted on Favourite Bands about how I kind of like the original 70s prog. I think the technological thing, plus the different forms and experimental sounds is what I like about it. I dont know anything about neo-prog or prog metal though, it looks like its more of an American thing now and really hasnt filtered over to the UK at all, that i can tell. Probably Marillion did most to revive it in the 80s, but where are they now? Still going, but they seem more mainstream, and well, just not very interesting.

4. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

yeah, marillion has definetly gone downhill. but i don't know about the american thing. i've bearly got anything american in the neo catergory. (Kamelot, early Spock's beard, thats about it.) most of it seems to come from europe. (especially sweden. i wonder why that is.) the insideout label has most of the real good stuff.
    the 70's stuff is great though. early genesis, king crimson, gentle giant etc. they all did experimental stuff. (esp K.C.)

5. Rokuemon

Rokuemon New Member

you know more about this than me, im sure you are right. What seems ovious though is that there isnt much coming from the UK any more, where prog was born. I think Marillion has a much bigger folowing outside of UK, if they relied on support at home they would have died by now. I dunno, what you might call "serious" rock doesnt seem to really exist here any more. What is there? Coldplay, Keane, Kaiser Chiefs? Oasis?? I'm sure there are cult bands out there, but prog used to be top 30 stuff without having to sell out to be commercial.

6. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

yeah, punk and the 80's killed all that pretty good. progs on the increase again though.