RPG Requests Read Me: RPG Forum Rules 3.2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BakaMattSu, Jul 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

RPG Forum Rules v3.2

The following document is intended to answer common inquiries you may have in regards to this forum, Role Playing Games. It also sets the guidelines and rulings stated by the caretakers of this board. Please ensure that you've read this document in its entirety before posting on this forum, and take the time to follow them as best you can.

A Note about Creating a New Game
    The Role-Playing Games forum is only for general issues and RPG requests, not RPGs themselves. Running games will be locked unless a Moderator adopts it - at which point that game will have its own seperate board. This is made so that new RPGs can be "Screened" before coming into existance, and appropriatly moderated.

If you want to run an RPG, you must contact one of your Role-Playing Moderators via Private Message, e-mail, or even post it on the RPG main forum. In this request, fully detail what your RPG is about and any special rules you have planned on the get-go. Be creative and original, and there should be no reason for your game to be denied. If it is rejected, your Moderator will explain why and suggest what areas require changing before such a request would be considered.

Include the RPG Title, whether you intend to Gamemaster or Freeform, and any additional important info such as a "Timeout".

Example 1:
    I think u r the coolest moderator on M2A. Plz give me a Final Fantasy RPG.
    Thx.

Example 2:
    I would like to run a Legend of Zelda RPG. The game is set in a world where Ganon has gathered all of the Triforce powers and reigns supreme. He is an evil god and plays with people's lives for his amusement. All players will be lowly peasants who decide among themselves that they will try and usurp his power. The game will be a journey across the wilds of Hyrule, running from evil, and searching for some kind of power to stand up to the Triforces.

For special rules, I plan to maintain player stats in a seperate topic entitled "Characters". This will track HP, MP. Gold and the like. I would also serve as Gamemaster.

Since this game will lose interest fast if players don't keep playing, I'd like to set a 2-day timeout for posting.

Example one will likely be rejected. It doesn't appear to be thought out and the resulting RPG would have little starting direction and flop without good player support.

Example two has some potential. It is cliched with the "players band to save the world from evil power", but the Gamemaster has at least put some thought into it as shown in his storyline proposal, and with his tracking rules.

A Note About Archived RPGS
    When an RPG has finished, that forum and threads will be archived in order to open a new RPG slot.

Additionally, an RPG forum that goes for the time period of 1 month without posting, it will be deemed finished and archived.

A Note of Respect
    Players are here to have fun, Moderators are here to keep things under control, and Spectators are here to read the resulting stories. As with all of M2A, keep the subject matter to the level of appropriateness that you would in public. And don't flame or insult other members.

A Note about Staying in Character

The group had braved the desert, their cloaks flapping in the violent sandstorm, and their eyes burning from the sand that had forced itself into their face. All sound was drowned out by the whirlwind that engulfed them. Samuel motioned for everyone to keep moving, for he knew that if they stayed where they were, they would surely die.

"Hey guys, I'm going on vacation for the next two weeks, so can someone take over my character?"

Leaving character can spoil an RPG's mood and immersion very quick. WHENEVER POSSIBLE only write what your character will say or do, or descriptions of ingame material. Leave the real world out of it.

If you absolutely, positively, MUST get a point across Out of Character (OOC), then you have two options:
    1) Begin a new topic in the forum of that RPG
    2) Write "OOC:" before your out of character writing, to mark it as such.

With the second option, it may be more convenient to post, but it still can ruin the effect of the game. Still, while it is recommended that OOC discussion topics be in use, it is not required, but try not to overuse method 2 if you can.

On a related note, please take the time to uncheck "Show Signature" before Submitting a reply to an in-game thread. Signatures are also very detracting and out of character.

A Note of Context
    Do not post one line threads. It does not exactly add to the storyline when your character only says posts like "cool" or short equivalents. Every post you make should add to the storyline and help it to flow along. Saying that you run after the other members may explain what you wish to do, but it's pretty pointless if implied. If your character isn't doing much, then take the opportunity to develop them through thoughts or actions. Take the following examples:

Example 1:
    Rika ran down the ramp after them.

Example 2:
    Rika ran down the ramp after them, taking a moment to look at this bright new world. The light was hard on her eyes, and she found herself squinting. All her life had been spent locked away in that darkened corner of the lab, and to experience something so bright as sunlight was strange to her. It excited Rika as well, being wondrous and new to her. Above all, she wondered what other strange things would await her.

As you can see, both did nothing but tell the players that Rika was following them, but it was done in such a way as to tell about some of her history and current feelings. Much more interesting to read.

A Note about "God-Modding"
    No character is perfect, and many have very visible flaws. Everyone has limits. The bottom line here is: Don't make your character invincible. It's not fun for players or GMs alike to put up with an all-in-one-wonder who can tackle any situation without breaking a sweat, and has no equal. Nor is it believable. Don't be afraid to take a few punches, lose a fight, or take a wrong turn. Some of the most entertaining moments in Roleplaying come from unlikely heroes who just barely escape from the clutches of death.

Another form of god-modding, is deciding the results of your actions when it involves other players or imprtant characters. Actions are attempts and as such should not have 100% percent definite results. Compare the following two posts:

A) Ryo puts a bullet into Ryoko's chest.
    B) Ryo fires his gun at Ryoko's chest.

The first implies that Joe has already shot Ryoko, while the second leaves Ryoko's player a chance to respond. Active scenes are player co-operative, not player dominate, so make sure you are all actively playing together.

FAQ
    What's a "GM"?
    The ruler of the RPG is your Game Master (GM). This is often, but not always the creator of the game. Think of them as the main storyteller and referee. They control where the game flows and can dictate how events and discrepancies resolve.

How often can I post?
    You can post as often as your turn is. This means that once you post in a game, you cannot post again in that game until all other players have had a chance to post. This supercedes previous posting restrictions that were enforced here previously.

Why isn't my post count increasing?
    As the RPG forum is simply for fun, and not entirely discussion on any matter, the posts do not count towards your M2A post count. Feel free to particpate in board discussions if you really want a larger post count number - though it is really nothing more than a number.

Is there a limit to how many games I can join?
    Common sense applies here. Join as many games as you want, but don't join more than you can keep up with. Also with this, keep your characters diverse. If you play the whiny crybaby girl in every game, you're retelling the same portion of story. Nobody feels like playing with the same other players in every game - if you do join more than one game, make it a personal effort to make each game different.

But Jimbob hasn't posted for 3 days! Can I post now?
    This is up to the GM to decide. If a player is inactive for a time period the GM finds long enough, that GM can skip that player's turn by informing the other players through PM or in a new OOC post in the forum. On a related note, a GM may also set a "Timeout" on thread creation. This is a set length where any player can reply if the game hasn't been replied to by that time.

Can I make a sexual/hentai scene or game?
    In accordance with boardwide M2A rules, posting anything hentai will get you banned from the entire forums.

How about a real violent slaughter, like in so-and-so anime?
    Nothing beyond PG-13, sorry. The site is public, and describing wrenching someone's guts or swords piercing heads in brutal fashion is not the kind of images we'd like to see here. You can be violent, but keep the descriptors away from real sickening material.

I decide my character is way stronger than Jimbob's. Can I kill him during our fight?
    If both characters are in agreement. Do not kill off another RPer's character without their permission. How would you enjoy suddenly being told you're dead without any say in the matter, or chance to defend yourself?

My GM posted some very strange rulings that aren't listed here. Do I follow them?
    Your GM is in control of everything that goes on. As such, they may expand upon what is written here for their personal games. If you disagree with something they have ruled on, either post it in a new discussion topic, or send them a Private Message (PM). Do not interrupt play for everyone by writing your comment directly in the game.

These rules are subject to change, so do take the time to check for updates once in a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.