Roleplaying Games Read Me: RPG Forum Rules v4.0 [Updated: 10/07/05]

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BakaMattSu, Jul 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

RPG Forum Rules v4

The following document is intended to answer common inquiries you may have in regards to this forum, Role Playing Games. It also sets the guidelines and rulings stated by the caretakers of this board. Please ensure that you've read this document in its entirety before posting on this forum, and take the time to follow them as best you can.

A Note of Respect
    Players are here to have fun, Moderators are here to keep things under control, and Spectators are here to read the resulting stories. As with all of Boards.Jp, keep the subject matter to the level of appropriateness that you would in public. And don't flame or insult other members.

A Note about Creating a New Game
    When you create a threaded RPG in the Role-playing Forum, the thread you create will usually become known as the sister thread. The thread must be labeled, RPG: (name of your RPG) Sister Thread.

A sister thread is where you give important information about the game, and is also used for Out-Of-Character Discussion [OOC] such as questions about the game, character sheets and away notices.

When the Game Master judges there are enough players, he or she may start a Role-playing Thread. This should be labeled as the RPG: (name of your RPG) In-Game Thread, so that there is no confusion as to where to post.

A Note about Advanced RPG
    Moderators have the right to choose stories to be more developed into which means they will basically be made into their own RPG section. The current examples are Dawn of Destiny, Masquerade, and Sakeido High School 2. Do not ask the Moderators for you will not receive. This is completely up to the RPG Moderators.

A Note about Copyrighted Material
    Absolutely no copyrighted material without credit being given to the author. Any RPG not following this rule will be closed.

A Note for RPG Limits
    The current limit of RPG is two. If you have an idea and cannot wait feel free to PM a RPG Moderator. They have the right to decided what to do with it.

A Note for RPG In-Game Thread
    1. You most post your profile in the RPG: Sister Thread and be approved. You are not allowed to Role-play in that RPG until doing so.

2. Take the time to uncheck "Show Signature" before submitting a reply to the in-game thread. Signatures are very distracting and out of character.

A Note for In-Active RPG
    Any RPG that is in-active, no one role-playing them, for one month will be archived. You can view any all in-active RPG here. *Post link*

A Note on Character Limitations
    If the given GM of the particular RPG deems it, players may have a secondary character at the GM's discretion therefore the GM will play all None Playing Characters (NPCs). It is, however, preferable for players to have only one character.

A Note about Staying in Character
    The group had braved the desert, their cloaks flapping in the violent sandstorm, and their eyes burning from the sand that had forced itself into their face. All sound was drowned out by the whirlwind that engulfed them. Samuel motioned for everyone to keep moving, for he knew that if they stayed where they were, they would surely die.

"Hey guys, I'm going on vacation for the next two weeks, so can someone take over my character?"

Leaving character can spoil an RPG's mood and immersion very quick. WHENEVER POSSIBLE only write what your character will say or do, or descriptions of in game material. Leave the real world out of it.

If you absolutely, positively, MUST get a point across Out of Character (OOC), then you have two options:
    1) Begin a new topic in the sister thread of that RPG
    2) Write "OOC:" before your out of character writing, to mark it as such.

With the second option, it may be more convenient to post, but it still can ruin the effect of the game. Still, while it is recommended that OOC discussion topics be in use, it is not required, but try not to overuse method 2 if you can.

A Note of Context
    Do not post one line threads. It does not exactly add to the storyline when your character only says posts like "cool" or short equivalents. Every post you make should add to the storyline and help it to flow along. Saying that you run after the other members may explain what you wish to do, but it's pretty pointless if implied. If your character isn't doing much, then take the opportunity to develop them through thoughts or actions. Take the following examples:

Example 1:
    Rika ran down the ramp after them.

Example 2:
    Rika ran down the ramp after them, taking a moment to look at this bright new world. The light was hard on her eyes, and she found herself squinting. All her life had been spent locked away in that darkened corner of the lab, and to experience something so bright as sunlight was strange to her. It excited Rika as well, being wondrous and new to her. Above all, she wondered what other strange things would await her.

As you can see, both did nothing but tell the players that Rika was following them, but it was done in such a way as to tell about some of her history and current feelings. Much more interesting to read.

A Note about "God-Modding"
    No character is perfect, and many have very visible flaws. Everyone has limits. The bottom line here is: Don't make your character or attacks invincible. It's not fun for players or GMs alike to put up with an all-in-one-wonder who can tackle any situation without breaking a sweat, and has no equal. Nor is it believable. Don't be afraid to take a few punches, lose a fight, or take a wrong turn. Some of the most entertaining moments in Role-playing come from unlikely heroes who just barely escape from the clutches of death.

Another form of god-modding, is deciding the results of your actions when it involves other players or important characters. Actions are attempts and as such should not have 100% percent definite results. Compare the following two posts:

A) Ryo puts a bullet into Ryoko's chest.
    B) Ryo fires his gun at Ryoko's chest.

The first implies that Joe has already shot Ryoko, while the second leaves Ryoko's player a chance to respond. Active scenes are player co-operative, not player dominate, so make sure you are all actively playing together.

A Note for Away Notices
    Away Notices must be sent to the GM and then posted in that RPG: Sister Thread. The GM will decide what to do with your character.

FAQ
    What's a "GM"?
    The ruler of the RPG is your Game Master (GM). This is often, but not always the creator of the game. Think of them as the main storyteller and referee. They control where the game flows and can dictate how events and discrepancies resolve. If you have started a thread and have no interest in being its Game Master, request someone to do it for you.

What’s a sister thread?
    As stated before a sister thread starts the RPG. It is where you post the story information, character profiles, away notices, and any thing else relevant to the RPG.

How often can I post?
    You can post as often as your turn is. This means that once you post in a game, you cannot post again in that game until all other players have had a chance to post. This supercedes previous posting restrictions that were enforced here previously.

Why isn't my post count increasing?
    As the RPG forum is simply for fun, and not entirely discussion on any matter, the posts do not count towards your Boards.Jp Post Count. Feel free to participate in board discussions if you really want a larger post count number - though it is really nothing more than a number.

Is there a limit to how many games I can join?
    Common sense applies here. Join as many games as you want, but don't join more than you can keep up with. Also with this, keep your characters diverse. If you play the whiny crybaby girl in every game, you're retelling the same portion of story. Nobody feels like playing with the same other players in every game - if you do join more than one game, make it a personal effort to make each game different.

But Jimbob hasn't posted for 3 days! Can I post now?
    This is up to the GM to decide. If a player is inactive for a time period the GM finds long enough, that GM can skip that player's turn by informing the other players through PM or in a new OOC post in the forum (or sister thread). On a related note, a GM may also set a "Timeout" on thread creation. This is a set length where any player can reply if the game hasn't been replied to by that time.

Can I make a sexual/hentai scene or game?
    In accordance with boardwide forum rules, posting anything hentai will get you banned from the entire forums.

How about a real violent slaughter, like in so-and-so anime?
    Nothing beyond PG-13, sorry. The site is public, and describing wrenching someone's guts or swords piercing heads in brutal fashion is not the kind of images we'd like to see here. You can be violent, but keep the descriptors away from real sickening material.

I decide my character is way stronger than Jimbob's. Can I kill him during our fight?
    If both characters are in agreement. Do not kill off another RPer's character without their permission. How would you enjoy suddenly being told you're dead without any say in the matter, or chance to defend yourself?

My GM posted some very strange rulings that aren't listed here. Do I follow them?
    Your GM is in control of everything that goes on. As such, they may expand upon what is written here for their personal games. If you disagree with something they have ruled on, either post it in a new discussion topic, or send them a Private Message (PM). Do not interrupt play for everyone by writing your comment directly in the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.