J-Pop Real Commotion?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Novus, Jan 7, 2004.

?

What can I do for you?

1. Original Version (Japanese)

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Original Version (English)

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Final Version (English)

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. I can't here you! (uh ... none of them)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Novus

Novus Gone

Okay, I stole the title from a mission in FFX-2. It seems appropriate, all things considered.
    As I'm sure everyone knows, the opening theme from the afforementioned game is entitled "Real Emotion". Originally it was performed by a Japanese singer whose name now eludes me. This singer also recorded an English version of the song. Closer to the release of the English-language version of the game, however, Square-Enix apparently decided that they did not like this version, and had another one released by a musician named Jade, the singer from some band or other.
    Anyway, some opinions on the matter? Which is your favourite?

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

The name of the Japanese singer is Koda Kumi. And yes, she did both versions english and japanese.

The Russian singer that sings in the US release is Jade of SWEETBOX. ^__^

I liked Jade's version of "real Emotion" (typo intentional) better. Not because her english is more fluent, but she has a lot more "feeling" in it. Koda's japanese is on par with Jade's english. They sound more natural. Koda's english...well, it sounds a bit more forced than it should. Jade's sounds more fluent too, naturally...but, the lyrics don't make as much sense...

What I like MUCH better than its japanese counterpart is the secondary song in FFX-2. "1000 no Kotoba". Actually..."1000 words" would be the right title...as I LOVE the one sung by Jade. It's an amazing piece and very nicely incorporated (from a tech standpoint) into the story.

3. Kos-Mos

Kos-Mos New Member

I have the game. And yes. There are now three different versions of the song. Jade from Sweetbox sings the version they used in the english version of the game, and Koda Kami sings the other two version. I dont mind any of the three, and rather like them all, though Jade's song is my favorite version. I dont know why. Maybe her voice fits the song better. Either that or I just dont like how Koda Kami flutters alot (she's still cool though!).
    There is also another song, done in the same ways.

(Possible spoiler)
    It's a song yuna sings I think...at the beginning of charpet 5 in her second concert. Once agian, I more like Jades version of the english version. More because her voice harmonises with the song better that Koda Kami's.
    (End spolier)

The songs have made me want look for more songs by sweetbox. The two songs are both really good. All three versions of both songs.

4. Novus

Novus Gone

I slapped the lyrics to Jade's version on my wall next to a bunch of X-2 pictures, but that's mostly just because I couldn't understand the Japanese. I still prefer that version.

5. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

me? i perfer the english version from jade b/c
    1. its the only one ive heard
    2. i like to understand what im listening to.

~MAGs

6. psyeudkev

psyeudkev New Member

I dunno why, I like songs which I don't understand what it means :)

For the japanese version, I especially like the part just before Koda Kumi sings 'ruuuuuuu' then a short vocal-pause...

Another reason is that I think Koda's voice suits Yuna's face :D

7. Sakura

Sakura New Member

For Real Emotion, I just love Koda Kumi's Japanese version. Jade's was okay, I liked her 1000 Words better though. Nothing beats the original for Real Emotion.