Celebrations Remembrance Day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reisti Skalchaste, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

It's Remembrance Day for us here in Canada, and Veteran's Day in the USA. When I was in school, we had assemblies and everyone had to be quiet and not say anything for a minute at 11 am. It was supposed to be a minute spent in quiet remembrance and reflection, where we're supposed to give our thanks to the people who gave their lives for us.

However, we're talking about high-school aged kids. Guaranteed they'd sooner think of how they're going to get their next hit of crack or something. -_- Too few people nowadays actually take that moment for what it's worth.

I think I'll listen to some music, spend time with the people I care about, and take the time to be thankful for what I have.

http://www.singforcanada.ca/anthem.html

1 person likes this.
  2. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

We had a wonderful service at school today, a veteran even came to talk to youth.

3. KaYasha

KaYasha I'm Boelak Yrubron

We have veterans come every year to the High School and talk.

We have a little over an hour long assembly.

Today, I did not like the man at all. Although I do respect him for serving his County and all, but he talked a lot about the Iraq War and his views were.. quite differnt than mine.
    I think that it is good to have a day to show the respect for these people.
    But yes. I do have family that has served and that is serving in the military.

1 person likes this.
  4. Orion

Orion Gears

Surprisingly, I had no school today. Got off because of some, crazy thing. I dunno. Anyway, if I was in school today, we would have had a mass and WWII vets and Vietname vets would be in attendence. I really like that gathering, I wish I coulda gone to it. :(

5. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

To the Fallen.

6. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

There wasn't any school today for me either. We did have an assembly for it yesterday, though. But I think it was just an excuse for more perverted acts that my high school does. In one of the segments for the program they had a bunch of girls in some frilly(sp?) dresses that were dancing to some weird music that had nothing to do with veterans. Their excuse for that part was that there were a bunch of guys in military suits on the stage as well, except none of them moved at all or did anything. They just stood there the whole time.

7. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Today is the first time in 7 years that I've not paid my tribute at the denoted time ( Was still sleeping to tell the truth)

Nonetheless, late, early or one time, I give my voice to the heroes who sacrificed their lives to give us our today.

"We shall remember them"

- Shen

1 person likes this.
  8. Cherrygirl

Cherrygirl Cherrylicious!

yes im a little late but i wasnt on yesterday :eek: anyway i believe it is important to remember ALL of those who have fought and are STILL fighting in wars. i find that so many people associate remembrance day with only WWI and WWII. for whatever reason, lots of people forget about the Korean war and Vietnam...especially Vietnam. I wonder if it's because Vietnam was a 'useless war.' For me, remembrance day is about remembering the soldiers not the war.

I went and saw Jarhead yesterday and it made me think about the current war in Iraq. though i completely disagree with that war, i still decided that i would give my thoughts and wear my poppy for the soldiers over there aswell.

just my thoughts on remembrance day

9. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Bullsh*t. I can tell you for a fact that youths nowadays have as much if not more respect for those who have faught overseas, and appreciate what those who have died before them have done- Just ask any one. See if you'll find one that tells you He's not grateful for those who stood up and fought in the battlefields of Europe, those who's perished in the jungles of korea, and those who's bones still bleach in the sands of the Middle East.

No matter how you feel about war just remember: aim your displeasure at those commanding the soldiers, sailors and marines to die over seas from the comfort of thier plush offices, and fine suits.

Those of us out in the field are out there for you and the ideals each one of us share. We're out there because we hate war just as much as the next person, but hate the thought of those we love and care about dying, for any reason- terrorism, communism, fascism or otherwise, so much more.

So here's to everyone who's still out fighting, and to everyone who'll never come home. Here's to those who still live in captivity, POW/MIA: You are not forgotten. Here's to everyone who have fought, and still fight, with honor and courage- Your bravery lends strength to those of us, including myself, who would never be able face such challenges.

Even if those words lose thier meaning out in the battlefield, or out at sea, they still mean everything to those whom you left behind, still waiting for your return.

Here's to those who were left behind by loved ones who will never come back: the men and women still on tour, the men and women still on deployment. To the Mothers and Fathers, to the Wives and Children.

"There are no heroes, only moments that demand action."

I'll drink to that any day of the year.

~W

10. Cherrygirl

Cherrygirl Cherrylicious!

i hope you didnt get the impression that i blame the soldiers from my post. quite the opposite. one of my biggest pet peves is how society takes out their disaproval of a war on soldiers. i have nothing but the utmost respect for soldiers and how they put their lives on the line everyday and give up their personal lives to go halfway around the world to fight. and i have the utmost disgust for those in control of them who decide to take advantage of those soldiers and send them to wars that shouldnt be happening. To make myself more clear, my disapproval is for war not soldiers.

11. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Not those that went to my school. They couldn't care less. They couldn't even shut up for a couple minutes to respect them. I was there, they showed very little respect, and seemed not to care at all for the whole thing except for the fact it got them out of classes for a few minutes. The people I'm talking about are those that never fail to disgust me, in not only their lack of respect, but their lack of decency and of compassion.

There were more than just a few of them at my school.

12. LilyRose

LilyRose Pocky Junkie

we had a silence at school on the 11th and I just got home from a remembrance day service, which was really moving.